Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:40 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
so if this is true then how come gays still claim that they are being disenfranchised? You can't have it both ways.
And, we both know that the actual number of homosexuals in the military (or in society) is nowhere near 40%. Either your sample size is not representative, or you have too many gay friends
I didn't say it was near 40%, read my post again and this time try to apply some reading comprehension. I said if MY gay friends in the military are at a 40% level, then it stands to reason that the percentage of gays in the military probably pretty closely mirrors the civilian population.

Do you need me to break that down into smaller words and explain to you what it means? And yes, gays are still disenfranchised if they have a fear of being ejected from the military simply because they're gay. Now, as far as you suggesting I have "too many gay friends", I could barely hear that over the thunderclap of your homophobic anus slamming shut in fear and loathing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 11:35 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I didn't say it was near 40%, read my post again and this time try to apply some reading comprehension. I said if MY gay friends in the military are at a 40% level, then it stands to reason that the percentage of gays in the military probably pretty closely mirrors the civilian population.

Do you need me to break that down into smaller words and explain to you what it means? And yes, gays are still disenfranchised if they have a fear of being ejected from the military simply because they're gay. Now, as far as you suggesting I have "too many gay friends", I could barely hear that over the thunderclap of your homophobic anus slamming shut in fear and loathing.
Gays don't get kicked out for being gay! They get kicked out for "acting" gay
I suspect that my next door neighbor is a pedophile and/or serial killer. I am not about to ask him, and he won't tell me either. In this country we are innocent until "proven" guilty

Old 10-20-2010, 02:00 PM

723 posts, read 634,114 times
Quote:
I suspect that my next door neighbor is a pedophile and/or serial killer. I am not about to ask him, and he won't tell me either. In this country we are innocent until "proven" guilty
They can be kicked out if anyone finds out that they're gay. Therefore, they can be kicked out for being gay. If there was someone who doesn't *act* remotely gay, but who is gay, they can still be kicked out of the military. It has nothing to do with acting.

All of your comments on this issue contain no substance or validity. You are not speaking out of fact or reason. Only anti-gay bigotry. You just don't like gay people.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:44 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I was thinking the same thing about how many gays really join. In this economic climate, your going to get your fair show of folks who join for the wrong reasons, gay or no gay. Don't you have to enlist for at least 3-4 years?

I've wondered if the gays in military issue is blown out of proportion and is simply being used, as a way to remove one of very few remaining exemptions to being drafted when they bring it back
The gays who want to join the military are the exact same gays who HAVE BEEN joining the military for the past 200 years. I really don't think this is going to change anything, except that now instead of everyone secretly knowing that blah blah blah is gay - that person can just say it out loud. End of story.

If someone is gay and wants to join the military, they just do so and don't tell anyone. I really don't think you're going to be getting MORE gays joining the military. It's just going to be accepted.

Obviously you aren't going to see the femmy acting little gay twinks running to join. Why would they? Because it's there? I mean you still have to WANT to join.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:44 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times
Will someone explain to me the inherent difference between allowing openly gay soldiers to share close-quarter living spaces and allowing soldiers of both genders to share these same quarters? The military has always separated soldiers who may (or may not) feel sexual attractions for the opposite sex but now if gay soldiers are allowed to cohabit with members of their own gender, wouldn't the same sexual attraction issue be exactly the same situation?

Old 10-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
Quote:
What exactly do you mean by "acting" gay? You have made it clear from your posts that you are an anti-gay bigot, but I am still curious what exactly you mean by this phrase that you have now used several times.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:06 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
What exactly do you mean by "acting" gay? You have made it clear from your posts that you are an anti-gay bigot, but I am still curious what exactly you mean by this phrase that you have now used several times.
What is so hard to comprehend? The don't ask, don't tell is simple...
The military does not ask a soldier about their sexuality. The military does not care about their sexuality. The only time that it becomes an issue is if the gay member blatantly comes out and announces to everyone that he is gay. Or if the member tests positive for HIV.

If a gay soldier is doing a good job, and can restrain from joining gay rights parades or sticking a rainbow bumper sticker on his car then he is fine.

There are a few exceptions, but otherwise this is the reality of the situation.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:10 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I hope the applications do not end up in "file 13." lol

Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Troops discharged for being gay try to re-enlist | News Story on 365gay.com

Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
The soldier cannot on his own free time engage in any type of man on man love. And if other soldiers find out that he might be gay there can be a witch hunt. A witch hunt is a waste of time. Get it?

Quote:
What is so hard to comprehend? The don't ask, don't tell is simple...
The military does not ask a soldier about their sexuality. The military does not care about their sexuality. The only time that it becomes an issue is if the gay member blatantly comes out and announces to everyone that he is gay. Or if the member tests positive for HIV.

If a gay soldier is doing a good job, and can restrain from joining gay rights parades or sticking a rainbow bumper sticker on his car then he is fine.

There are a few exceptions, but otherwise this is the reality of the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies