Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 02:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I agree with you that adults buy what is convenient, and you are right, a 5-year-old may not remember what they were told on a particular day. However, if they are told multiple times in different ways, eventually they MAY have instilled in THEM that our resources on this planet are finite. The hope is that when THEY are adults they will demand, or even create, solutions to our growing environmental problems. And, hopefully, they won't consider solutions 'political'. I do believe we all breathe the same air and we all need water, no matter what our politics.
Well I don't want to wait 20 years for that 5 year old to grow up and think about plastic.

We adults CAN do something today..but we don't. We spend money to educate rather than act to remove stuff and revert to recyclable items like glass milk bottles and glass soda bottles.

I've taught my son to always pick the glass over plastic, don't get a bag at the store if it's just one or two items, try to only buy plastic containers that we an reuse at home, stuff like that.

But, it's almost impossible to buy some items NOT in plastic containers these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 03:31 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Maybe the bold part is what you missed.

As a parent, I feel it is my responsiblity as well as my choice what and when to teach my kids about social issues. Considering the shape our educational system is in it seems they aren't spending enough time on the fundamentals.

There are some that push diversity but feel that pushing their propaganda on young minds will churn out generations of like minded people. Like minded being like "them".

There is no way in "H" that my signing a piece of paper allowing a nurse to give my kid an aspirin gives them the right to take them to an abortion clinic.

Your opening line here wraps it up for me. YOU get to decide that my religous views are crazy and YOU get to decide what's good for the planet. Have your own kids and leave mine alone.
I respect your rational view, but education should be teaching kids things that are true and which will empower them. I didn't decide that the Jesus myth is crazy, it just makes logical sense, but parents teach it to their kids anyway, leaving them confused when their religion bumps into reality. Religion aside, what is wrong with teaching children about cherishing the environment? I'd like to see someone tell me where it's wrong instead of diverting the argument to complaining about tax dollars being used or their freedoms being trampled.

We can all agree that the three R's are important, but so is the scientific value of good planetary stewardship. What is the problem people have--especially those on the right and particularly those who identify themselves as Christians first and foremost--with environmentalism? How is it in any way counter to Christianity? How is it indoctrination? Why the outrage over something that is so obviously RIGHT, MORAL, and SANE in every sense of the word?

Or is God-given unfettered capitalism and the pollution and disrespect it would unleash on the globe somehow more morally acceptable? Or is it because you don't like anyone telling you "Sir, that cigarette belongs in the receptacle, not on the sidewalk"? Are you so wrapped up in yourselves that the mere suggestion of doing the right thing is an affront to your freedom? If the response is anything like "By God (literally in most cases, I guess) I'm going to use all the electricity I want and use all the styrofoam I can get my hands on and burn all my trash in my backyard at night so the government won't see me, and you can't stop me!" then we are all doomed.

At some point, you have to realize you are not alone and that your actions have repercussions. Carelessness and conservative right wing or religious ideologies seem to go hand in hand. Yes, you have the freedom to do the wrong thing, but not while everyone else and future generations have to pay the price. It's called responsibility, that thing the right accuses the left of not having.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 10-22-2010 at 03:51 PM..

Old 10-22-2010, 04:30 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I respect your rational view, but education should be teaching kids things that are true and which will empower them. I didn't decide that the Jesus myth is crazy, it just makes logical sense, but parents teach it to their kids anyway, leaving them confused when their religion bumps into reality. Religion aside, what is wrong with teaching children about cherishing the environment? I'd like to see someone tell me where it's wrong instead of diverting the argument to complaining about tax dollars being used or their freedoms being trampled.

I will decide if religion will empower my children. And I will teach that to them at home. No need for you to worry your pretty little head about it. I haven't mentioned taxes, have I? Maybe if you could read better you would comprehend better too.

We can all agree that the three R's are important, but so is the scientific value of good planetary stewardship. What is the problem people have--especially those on the right and particularly those who identify themselves as Christians first and foremost--with environmentalism? How is it in any way counter to Christianity? How is it indoctrination? Why the outrage over something that is so obviously RIGHT, MORAL, and SANE in every sense of the word?

Again, there are assumptions. I have not said there was anything wrong with environmentalism. You have no idea how I participate in saving the environment. You assume that if I'm conservate I don't care. It's obvious that we differ in opinions about what is RIGHT, MORAL, and SANE so why would I want you to teach my children about those things. Again, you don't get it. Your comprehension is limited. Is that due to your education? I doubt if I would even want you teaching them to read at this point!

Or is God-given unfettered capitalism and the pollution and disrespect it would unleash on the globe somehow more morally acceptable? Or is it because you don't like anyone telling you "Sir, that cigarette belongs in the receptacle, not on the sidewalk"? Are you so wrapped up in yourselves that the mere suggestion of doing the right thing is an affront to your freedom? If the response is anything like "By God (literally in most cases, I guess) I'm going to use all the electricity I want and use all the styrofoam I can get my hands on and burn all my trash in my backyard at night so the government won't see me, and you can't stop me!" then we are all doomed.

Apparently you think it is more important to treat the globe with more respect than you treat people because you sound angry and judgemental. If your parents didn't teach you to respect other people ideas and be tolerant I'm sorry. But why would that give me the idea that I would want you to teach my kids how to treat the environment?

At some point, you have to realize you are not alone and that your actions have repercussions. Carelessness and conservative right wing or religious ideologies seem to go hand in hand. Yes, you have the freedom to do the wrong thing, but not while everyone else and future generations have to pay the price. It's called responsibility, that thing you accuse the left of not having at all.
And your indoctrinated belief that carelessness and conservativism go hand in hand is the epitomy of the arguement. At the heart of your "message" is your political ideology. It is much harder to warp the mind of a child by teaching the three Rs so you want to interject your ideology with all the side shows that take away from the NECESSARY educational tools kids need to be successful. Can you say that our educational system has improved since the inception of all the social programs? Are more kids graduating? Are we ranking higher in the world?

And just as a little eyeopener for you, take a look at grounds after a rally is held. If it's conservative it's clean...if it's liberal rally it's trashed. You do understand what conservative means, don't you?

Old 10-22-2010, 04:37 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Your tax dollars at work for the globalist agenda.

Your tax dollars at work: EPA now funding propaganda videos telling kids juiceboxes are destroying the planet | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/your-tax-dollars-at-work-epa-now-funding-enviro-propaganda-videos-telling-kids-juiceboxes-are-destroying-the-planet-105346683.html - broken link)

Your tax dollars at work: EPA now funding propaganda videos telling kids juiceboxes are destroying the planet

By: Mark Hemingway (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/bios/mark-hemingway.html - broken link)
Commentary Staff Writer
10/20/10 11:05 AM EDT

Of all the questionable lessons our schools are imparting to young kids, the idea that Legos are destroying the planet might just be the most absurd.

Whats wrong with trying to educate children to be better citizens?

Old 10-22-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Whats wrong with trying to educate children to be better citizens?
How's about practice by actions and not just movies ?
Have the class petition to get rid of milk cartons served at lunch or something similar along those lines.

The movies end and the subject is forgotten. The kids do not see it in action. Something practiced is best remembered. That is the better way to educate.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How's about practice by actions and not just movies ?
Have the class petition to get rid of milk cartons served at lunch or something similar along those lines.

The movies end and the subject is forgotten. The kids do not see it in action. Something practiced is best remembered. That is the better way to educate.
I'm cool with that, as well as the movie.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm cool with that, as well as the movie.
But that is what they are NOT doing.
They show the kids the movie and that's it.
They they all go down to lunch in the cafeteria and eat from styrofoam plates and drink from milk cartons and toss it all in the garbage.

At my job we used to have real plates/glasses/silverware along with the to-go boxes. Then they went to all to-go boxes and shut down the dishwashers and got rid of the staff. Now we have no choice in our cafeteria.

So much for the corporate push to "go green and save the planet".

Old 10-22-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But that is what they are NOT doing.
They show the kids the movie and that's it.
They they all go down to lunch in the cafeteria and eat from styrofoam plates and drink from milk cartons and toss it all in the garbage.

At my job we used to have real plates/glasses/silverware along with the to-go boxes. Then they went to all to-go boxes and shut down the dishwashers and got rid of the staff. Now we have no choice in our cafeteria.

So much for the corporate push to "go green and save the planet".
Maybe a good school should take the lead after viewing the movie, and take up their own campaign to do that? Instead of the federal government doing it.

The movie is to educate, if people don't decide to use that education, well, thats not the fault of the movie.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post

So really; just exactly what is it in this little video that bothers you so much?
We can start with misrepresentation that can be found throughout the video.

Quote:
"Where I live, in the United States, we have less than 4 percent of our original forests left."
Keeping in mind this video is intended for kids even most adults when presented with this statement would think it is in reference to the total amount of forest left. What they are referencing is old growth. The truth is far from this 4% figure, it's 33% down from an estimated 46% before Europeans arrived and has remained stable since the turn of the last century.

Quote:
http://fia.fs.fed.us/library/briefin...actsMetric.pdf

It is estimated that—at the beginning of European settle-
ment—in 1630 the area of forest land that would become
the United States was 423 million hectares or about 46
percent of the total land area. By 1907, the area of forest
land had declined to an estimated 307 million hectares or
34 percent of the total land area. Forest area has been rel-
atively stable since 1907. In 1997, 302 million hectares—
or 33 percent of the total land area of the United States—
was in forest land. Today’s forest land area amounts to
about 70 percent of the area that was forested in 1630.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:10 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,949 times
The bottom line is that environmental issues are political issues. Not everyone believes in global warming or at least the source of it. Not everyone is a big fan of Cap N Trade. Many people believe that there are those who stand to make fortunes off the Greening of the Planet. It is a fact that Environmental Issues are not equally embraced by all. So, it should be no surprise that many parents do not appreciate their tax dollars being used for what they perceive to be indoctrination of their children into a political mindset they, themselves do not uphold. I think this is a reasonable argument. It is similar to tax dollars being used to indoctrinate atheists children into a particular religion.

The schools should teach academics. Kid's TV should entertain or teach very basic stuff - not hot topic political issues. On a personal note, my 10 year old child, in addition to a bombardment of worksheets & activities was shown The Story of Stuff as well as another more offensive, made-for-and-by-adult-activists video last year in 5th grade. One of these she was shown on two occassions. These were shown during her "math" class. I was not happy.

Nor will I be happy if the school or PBS decides that the earth is in such imminent danger and adults are not acting quickly enough, that they need to show the children the 10-10-10.org video that shows real children being blown to smitherenes because they weren't environmentally friendly enough. Where does it stop?

BTW, I'm still trying to figure out the kid's environmental clip that tells the kid the horrors of poisonous "Mercury" in his hand-held video game and am trying to figure out what we tell him about the death of incandescent light bulbs next year and they're being replaced with the energy efficient lightbulbs that contain "Mercury."

Here's a link that gives some good justification for some people being a bit suspicious of the Greening of America.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,592243,00.html

Last edited by GottaBMe; 10-22-2010 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: Added link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies