Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:24 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
OMG I remember that show, Barnabus was soooo ugly

I think he looked like a REAL vampire, not those pretty-boy wannabes they put in the movies these days.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-25-2010 at 07:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 06:27 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
OMG I remember that show, Barnabus was soooo ugly and it was the first time I heard what a witch was when they introduced the character Angelique Bouchard. I used to look forward to watching it after School.

Halloween is a lot of fun for many people but not everyone. I see nothing stupid or wrong with adults dressing up for a night of fun at adult parties/private parties. I don't care for it at work.

I do however think it's dangerous for children to go door to door to strangers for candy. If I were a parent I would much prefer haveing a party at home for my children. They could invite their friends from School, club s they belong to and relatives where whoever wants to dress up does and whoever doen't want to doesn't have to. Really any simple thing would do it doesn't have to be a bought commercialized costume. I would have games, prizes, candy and healthy snacks and just plain scary fun for the kids. This way I would know they are all safe inside with an adult who knows their family and where the parents know where they are. If Schools don't already do this I think it would be great if all Schools had half day for the children and have games to play at School and healthy fresh fruit snacks for them.

Now this is REALLY scary. I hate to offend, but what are you, NUTS? Healthy fresh fruit snacks? For HALLOWEEN??????

Reminds me of something I read where this nut decided he was going to give out figs for Halloween because they are so much more natural and healthy. The next day he saw that his yard was littered with figs. His friends said, "Dude, what did you expect????"

Old 10-25-2010, 06:44 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Some of us just aren't interested in kiddies.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:45 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I think it is a stupid holiday to celebrate.

It is a great holiday. I really enjoy handing out candy to the tots and seeing the intersting costumes. I think I enjoy it as much as the kids (mine are too old). The "jokes" or riddles told by the little kids are hilarious!

Old 10-25-2010, 07:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Some of us just aren't interested in kiddies.
So turn off the porch light and hole up in the basement for a few hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Happy birthday! Hope you have a fun day. 40 is a great age.
Life begins at 40!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Now this is REALLY scary. I hate to offend, but what are you, NUTS? Healthy fresh fruit snacks? For HALLOWEEN??????

Reminds me of something I read where this nut decided he was going to give out figs for Halloween because they are so much more natural and healthy. The next day he saw that his yard was littered with figs. His friends said, "Dude, what did you expect????"
I went through a "healthy food" phase, also a phase where I gave out stuff like little bottles of bubble soap, little containers of Play-Doh, etc. However, when my daughter got an eating disorder, I saw how all this emphasis on "good food/bad food" was a bad idea. I still give out toys, but WITH the candy.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:33 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
My neighbor is a dentist. He loves Hallowe'en so much he wants to marry it.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:36 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
I am a little surprised nobody has mentioned this: It is also Reformation Day, a fact our preacher often mentioned, though he did not let it get in the way of celebrating Halloween.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:35 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I can see schools trying to offer more healthy choices for their parties and such, but I could not and still can not stand the houses that would give out carrots, apple slices, figs, and the likes. If you're one of those people who doesn't trust themselves with a giant bag of chocolate, get a bag the day of Halloween and pour it in a bucket or bowl. Leave it outside your door.

Trust me, it'll be gone rather quick.

Also, I love Halloween because we celebrate with our closest friends and make our own themed costumes.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I can see schools trying to offer more healthy choices for their parties and such, but I could not and still can not stand the houses that would give out carrots, apple slices, figs, and the likes. If you're one of those people who doesn't trust themselves with a giant bag of chocolate, get a bag the day of Halloween and pour it in a bucket or bowl. Leave it outside your door.

Trust me, it'll be gone rather quick.

Also, I love Halloween because we celebrate with our closest friends and make our own themed costumes.
One year, my daughter had her state gymnastics meet on Oct. 31, so we couldn't be at home. We did the above, and harldy anyone took the candy. I was surprised.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:34 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
A few halloween thoughts. AMC movies are really sucking again. A marathon of "Friday the 13th" movies and probably another one of "Halloween". So many good monster, ghost and horror movies and they only show slasher films. TV land sucks too. So many good halloween themed epsiodes form so many shows( they only do reruns from about a half dozen shows anyway it seems) and you have to go on You tube to find them. I often think about giving out little snack size bags of pretzels instead of candy but I wonder if they'd be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies