Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,132 times

Advertisements

Day late and a dollar short, buddy.

If all of us that have been unemployed and on government assistance for an excruciating amount of time want to continue this way, then Obama is the ticket. That's definitely NOT the ticket I want.

Quote:
Obama says the most frustrating part of his presidency is that he had to keep spending money and adding to the deficit in his first six months in office "to save the economy." He has from the start called deficit reduction a goal, but one that had to get bumped in favor of sparking the economy.
Too bad he didn't put the money where his mouth was. Saving the economy, my foot.

Quote:
Either real compromise or political pressures may pull Obama and enough Republicans together to get some priorities done. President Bill Clinton managed to rebound and work with Republicans after they swept into office in 1994, teaming up on welfare and balanced-budget legislation.
Unfortunately, I think he is far to one-sided and conceited to consider this an option.

Here's the link...

Obama likely to focus on deficit in next 2 years - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101024/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_how_will_he_govern - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 06:18 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post

If all of us that have been unemployed and on government assistance for an excruciating amount of time want to continue this way, then Obama is the ticket. That's definitely NOT the ticket I want.

Too bad he didn't put the money where his mouth was. Saving the economy, my foot.

Unfortunately, I think he is far to one-sided and conceited to consider this an option.

Here's the link...

Obama likely to focus on deficit in next 2 years - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101024/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_how_will_he_govern - broken link)
There are only two ways to address the deficit: cut spending and/or increase revenue. Obama is unlikely to cut spending. So he will seek to increase revenue. Again, there are two ways to do that: grow the economy and/or increase taxes. His policies have failed to grow the economy. So that leaves raising taxes. Count on it.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:55 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
Actually O used his first two years creating his legacy.

He will use the next 2 years trying to preserve that legacy.

His presidential library will consist of a rotted particle board bookcase with his COLB on the top shelf, the second shelf being a sagging board holding the 2000+ pages of his health care bill. The bottom shelf will be empty, representing his empty campaign promises.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:22 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:

Here's the link...

Obama likely to focus on deficit. Right.................... that will be just as hell is freezing over.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:23 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
I have no doubt that Obama will focus on increasing the deficit during this upcoming lame duck session.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:30 AM

45,229 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Obama likely to focus on deficit in next 2 years...
The one he helped run up, first as a senator and now as Pres?

Biden is starting to look like the brains of the operation.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:31 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:

Here's the link...

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, the next best time is right now.

I wish Obama had focused more on aspects of the economy that effect working class folks as well, but Obama's addressing of deficits is a step in the right direction, even if late to the game. Did the previous administration go to any substantive lengths to address the deficit? Did the administration before that, or before that?

Ronald Reagan thought that if we lowered taxes, it would restrict government from spending, but sadly, while noble in intent, it had the effect of setting in motion a precedence of borrow and spend that has continued with every President since.

So while in this climate, I know how easy it is to target Obama on this, but I'd believe people were actually sincere if they held this view in the past as much as they hold it today, which sadly, isn't the case for most.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:32 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Anyone find the timing of this just a little suspicions, 7 days before an election, where Democrats are supposed to get pounded? I bet its more likely Republicans will focus on the deficits and Obama will be forced to play along...

Old 10-26-2010, 09:36 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Anyone find the timing of this just a little suspicions, 7 days before an election, where Democrats are supposed to get pounded? I bet its more likely Republicans will focus on the deficits and Obama will be forced to play along...
Of course, because if he didn't, he would be branded uncaring and unconcerned with the deficit. If he does something then it is because he is trying to gain a political bump in the polls. So in essence it doesn't really matter what he does its just wrong according to some.

Kind of reminds me of Clinton lobbing missiles at terrorist camps and being criticized for playing wag the dog, only to have folks years later who chided him then use this as an example of how Bush was merely carrying on as Clinton so thus it was ok.

I'll never understand the pure partisans, yall have an interesting view of the world, nice and rose colored.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:52 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Don't kid yourself on polirtcal rethoric. There are things already passed like the helthcare bill that is just startign to be felt by those who companies have adopted the mandates.Then of course nothig bascailly has been paid on the 900 billion in interest from Obams spending in the last 11 months alone.The lack of support for a congressional rather than a presdiential commison shows tht its politcs as usual. The last commison was 9-11 which was never adopted seriosuly and before that social security which nothign weas done.A tax ad spend Democrat with a policy of bigger governamnt will never really act otherwise. It tookj the cuts of reagan;huge cuts in military spoending and tax raises plus a great econmy to get to the point that Clinton had in deficits.Even then deficit spending started agin before clinton left office. A balanced budget amendment is the only reform that will work as even the sebate budget rulkes have failed with shell games such as shown in the healthcare bill that has not even really hit taxpayer pockets much yet except for those whose companies have adopted the mandates to be grnfthered. They are seeing huge increaases out of pocket on premiums and terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies