Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:31 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,849,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Yes, I am sure there are Dentists who are willing to provide medical care, it doesn't make them qualified!
I am sure you will have a choice to pay out-of-pocket for your doctor when you are on Medicare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 09:33 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,769,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I am sure you will have a choice to pay out-of-pocket for your doctor when you are on Medicare.

I am not worried, there will only be doctors providing medical care when I am on Medicare.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Medicare was enacted 50 years ago, times have changed. Also don't forget life expectancy was much lower and there were far more workers supporting each retiree than there are today.

Ah, it may be my opinion but it is much more realistic than your fantasy. Ask people if they would rather be treated by a physician or a nurse for a serious disease and I believe the vast majority would choose a physician.
Too bad the physicians no longer want to take care of Medicare patients.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:37 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,304,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Growing role of nurse practitioners (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:lkmy8JPee-sJ:www.physiciansnews.com/cover/508.html+what+percentage+of+patients+can+a+nurse+p ractitioner+treat&cd=26&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us - broken link)

According to a widely-cited assessment by the congressional Office of Technology Assessment, NPs can deliver as much as 80 percent of the health services provided by primary care physicians.

They can work together.
I keep telling people here that I consider my young nurse practitioner my doctor and even my heart people list her as my GP. She is better than the doctor who is supposed to be her overseer as far as I am concerned, but she knows that she does have some short comings. She even sewed up my son's butt when he sat on a knife one time and we all trust her. She is the one who diagnosed my heart attack and sent me on to a heart hospital for the care I needed. I needed that bypass surgery very bad since I was entered into that hospital on Sunday evening and they ripped my chest open on Wednesday morning. Three arteries tested at between 80 and 90 percent clogged and the other three were over 90%.

Great surgeons there, all doctors, and great nurses all nurses.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I am not worried, there will only be doctors providing medical care when I am on Medicare.
Then I guess there is no problem with Medicare or "Obamacare".

Old 10-28-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Nurses, and nurse practitioners!!!
Do you know how many 30 million is? I wonder how short of nurses we would have with the present numbers available. Oh well, I know how you ladies think.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:39 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,109,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
How to rationalize trader-level greed when you're stuck in a job that's supposed to be altruistic.
IF medicine treats me fairly (i.e. not a big decrease in compensation), then I will stay in medicine. I enjoy helping people.

But anyway, the way I see it, the more money I have, the more I can give away - and the greater number of people I can help. I think this is more efficient that helping people 1 by 1 as with anesthesia.
I need to build up something now (trading) - in case I have to leave medicine. The other thing that I do is foreclosed real estate (am closing on one for 90k Dec 14th that I bought last year for 74k+2k rehab and rented out for 1 yr. I do this over and over - to avoid short-term cap gains taxes and RE also helps with the insane taxes I pay on my active income. This is my 7th unit.).
What a hack! Get out now before you kill somebody!

MichaelJ on page 3 had a realistic reply that the hack wasn't interested in responding to.
Someone has to invest years of education in becoming a doctor. After graduating high school, about 12 years average. Considering this and what they do I think they deserve to make a lot of money. Someone I know in Canada told me that because of there socialized health care a plumber can make more than a doctor there. A plumber can teach someone else to be a plumber, no college needed. I would like to see a bigger incentive for more of our young people to go into medicine.

There are different ways to help people. Someone with a lot of money can both help one on one and donate money to worthy causes. We do have some private hospitals, and medical programs in the US that survive on donations alone. As the rich become taxed up the wazoo and things become more socialized this will disappear and has started to already. There will be doctors that leave or give up medicine. This will lead to rationing and a decline in quality of care.

And smart people invest in real estate. Nothing wrong with that at all. I cannot figure out why some people feel making money is wrong.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you know how many 30 million is? I wonder how short of nurses we would have with the present numbers available. Oh well, I know how you ladies think.
Yes, I know how many 30 million is. 30 million is too damn many people to not have access to medical care in our great country!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Ah.........excuse me. Do you remember why Medicare was enacted in the first place? After people retired, they could not get health insurance!

As far as your opinion of Medicare being eliminated before nurses take care of seniors, that is your feeble opinion only!
Would most nurses be able to take care of "end of life" teaching sessions for we old people? I don't think that many of either group are really prepared for that part of Obamacare.

Oh well, i will soon be gone and maybe not have to have anybody teach me how to die gracefully.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
You may not have a choice unless you can pay the difference yourself. Which is what many conservatives want...........government out of their healthcare!
And progs want only to see Single Payer and universal healthcare which is run by bureaucrats who make all the rules that you of the medical field to follow. Why can't you see what this law is aimed at beginning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies