Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:06 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Forums - Analysis of my trading so far

What is unfortunate, is that once a person leaves the profession, you cannot replace them as easily as a union carpenter.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out! FACT: US medical schools are FULL and many well qualified applicants are rejected. FACT: there are many foreign doctors that wish to immigrate to the USA too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 08:14 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
She is talking about a particular subset of doctors who seemingly prefer to trade stocks.
My doctor also has to trade stocks for his retirement and to keep his practice alive as he has 50 % Medicare Medicaid patient. I do not want him to quit.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
My doctor also has to trade stocks for his retirement and to keep his practice alive as he has 50 % Medicare Medicaid patient. I do not want him to quit.
You should read the link. The guy sounds like an SOB. Most docs invest their money; that's no crime. It's not even a crime to want to get out of medicine. But it's not Obamacare that's the driver in this case; that's just an excuse.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
You should read the link. The guy sounds like an SOB. Most docs invest their money; that's no crime. It's not even a crime to want to get out of medicine. But it's not Obamacare that's the driver in this case; that's just an excuse.
Then why are so many planiing to leave

Old 10-29-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Then why are so many planiing to leave
I don't think "so many" are planning to leave. You don't see any here on CD saying that. Some may be planning to retire anyway, and use this as an excuse. Some, like the person in the link, may not like medicine and are looking for an acceptable excuse to leave the profession. I work with five docs, all supporting families, and some still paying off loans. None of them have any plans to quit that I know of.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I don't think "so many" are planning to leave. You don't see any here on CD saying that. Some may be planning to retire anyway, and use this as an excuse. Some, like the person in the link, may not like medicine and are looking for an acceptable excuse to leave the profession. I work with five docs, all supporting families, and some still paying off loans. None of them have any plans to quit that I know of.
I work with 6 docs who all deal with Medicaid Medicare patients they are all planning to drop those older people as patients or retire

Old 10-29-2010, 08:45 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,375,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"three years is what our lawyers are telling us"? If he'd read even the first page of the Health Care Reform Act he would know for himself it's three years.

So he didn't read the document, yet he's ready to chuck his practice based on what he's told is in it.

Okay. He must be a superb, gifted doctor!
I figure he's on par with many of our politicians. You know, the ones who voted for it without reading it.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:30 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,323 times
Quote:
She is talking about a particular subset of doctors who seemingly prefer to trade stocks.
What you don't seem to realize is that Doctors and other people with money invest it in other things like real estate and the stock market. It has nothing to do with their medical practice and how good a doctor they are. Surprise, surprise!! You can do more than one thing to make money. Nothing wrong with this.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
What you don't seem to realize is that Doctors and other people with money invest it in other things like real estate and the stock market. It has nothing to do with their medical practice and how good a doctor they are. Surprise, surprise!! You can do more than one thing to make money. Nothing wrong with this.
I would suggest you go back and look at the link in the OP, before insulting me again.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:21 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,323 times
Quote:
I would suggest you go back and look at the link in the OP, before insulting me again.
I did read it. I don't see anything wrong with someone talking about ways to make money. What some of you don't seem to understand is that he would invest money regardless if he stayed in medicine or not. It is what smart people with money do. Having an interest in financial investments does not make someone bad at what ever job they do. And there are new laws going into affect that may affect this mans lively hood. None of us know what is in that bill and he therefore has a right to be concerned.

I want to point out one other thing. People do not go into medicine out only out of the kindness of their own heart. No one ever takes any job for that reason. Maybe in a fantasy world some of you want to live in this is the case, but in reality it is one of the most stressful jobs there is, mistakes made will cost people there lives. A good doctor should get paid a lot of money. I agree there are problems with health care and costs, but Obama care will make things worse.

It wasn't and insult. I was making a point and I think deep down you don't like it cause you know I'm right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies