Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:39 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The only thing that Republicans can do without a 2/3rds majority in both houses, which isn't going to happen, is to defund healthcare reform.

However, the President, again, has to sign the budget passed by the house. This would threaten a government shut down. The last time that happened was after the 94 election, and made the Republican house look like obstructionists.

Not going to happen this time around.
Are you sure of that statement? Are you sure that Obama won't weaken in his desire to pass just anything, which is what he did with this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
He was Constitutionally elected . Hopefully max of two terms. (To say otherwise does not change the Constitution)
It didn't sound like you wanted to even consider Obama elected. I am sure that you want him to be appointed king, but by whom.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Tell that to Ronald Reagan.

Remember, he signed the first "ER's must take care of anyone" bill. And then didn't offer a way to pay for it. This made hospitals charge more to those who have insurance, give extra tests that weren't needed to those who had insurance, and then wrote off the rest of the loses to the government. Insurance rates went up as a result.

We already had and have a socialized healthcare system, and it was signed by a Republican President. It just wasn't paid for.

What healthcare reform is supposed to do, is pay for that care, and to create a system where preventative care would lower that cost for the tax payers who have been fitting the bill since 1981.

I'm all for an open, rational discussion of healthcare reform. All I heard from Republicans was TORT this, and TORT that. Most of the studies I've seen show that TORT reform would have a minimal effect on the national healthcare industry.

The way I see it, we can do one of two things. Set up a preventative care system for those who are uninsured for whatever reason, or, repeal the law that makes it mandatory for ER's to take care of those without insurance.

You can't do nothing, and keep Reagans stupid law in place.
Did I notice the word in your post that is the one that most people just don't like as far as health insurance is concerned? I think I did and that word is MANDATORY. Just too many people don't want to be forced to take out that insurance till they are ready to do so. Maybe we need to get parts like that out of the bill.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Well said. I remember that shutdown.

GOP is clearly making false promises to voters. It's going to hit the fan again if they "win".
Can you point out the number of this year's budget bill? Don't go looking because one has not been discussed or passed. Nope we are not shut down right now only because more can be borrowed, from somewhere, when we get down to nothing.

Does the Constitution require that the Congress come up with a bill about a budget by October? I believe it does.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Um, no. What are you talking about?

What numbers?

What is the "W-2"? I'm not up on right wing slang, thank God.
You introduced the W-2 to this thread when you posted the following.

Analysis: False and misleading. While the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (H.R. 3590) does require employers to include the aggregate cost of applicable employer-sponsored group health coverage on employees' W-2 tax forms beginning in 2011 (see text of bill, page 735), it does not require employees to pay income tax on that amount. Note that the quoted excerpt from the Congressional Research Service summary of the bill describes the cost as "excludable from the employee's gross income."

Is there a chance that you post quotes from those outstanding sources and don't read them before posting them. I guess if you don't know what that W-2 is I sure don't know either.

Surely there is a reason for those numbers to have to be posted on the W-2s of workers. I say that it has to be done so the IRS will know how much more to charge those workers who get to keep their insurance as long as they are willing to pay for it.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
roy, did you get the idea that "those lucky people will get to pay income taxes on what their employers are providing" from this?

Glenn Beck - Current Events & Politics - Glenn Beck: Healthcare bill taxes

I can see how you misunderstood, from that transcript he does appear to be talking about insurance buyers. But it's actually about the charge to people who don't buy insurance, what they're (admittedly, obnoxiously) calling the individual mandate.

Ezra Klein - How does the individual mandate work?

If that was where you got it. If not, never mind.
I won't mind since you don't require it. My son's small business employer says that the lawyers hired by small businessmen say that the Law says they will get to pay that tax. When the employer says that is happening it appears to me that they hired some uneducated lawyers. My other son got out last spring because they knew the premium was going up drastically this winter. It seems that some of the 100+ employees of the company had cost some fantastic amounts last year and the cost was going up. Those who didn't go with him are very unhappy about their failure to move in time now.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I can't for the life of me understand your disconnect. You sir, are on socialized health care in it's purest form (Medicare.) Yet you come here daily and bemoan this healthcare reform.

Please tell us when you are going to relinquish your "nanny state" healthcare and buy private insurance? You know, put your money where your mouth is.
I will change over as soon as Obama and group do away with Medicare. Can you understand that about a week before my 65th birthday I got a letter from the insurance company telling me that the law required them to "boot" me and throw me to Medicare. I didn't do it because I wanted to but because I had to. Was it Republicans that passed the Medicare bill in the 60s?

I pay more to Medicare out of my Social Security check than many people not on Medicare. I am sure that you didn't know that we get to pay 10% of our SS check to Medicare each month. Oh yeah, we surely do get to do that.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Don't let on to your fellow Dems that you really said this. They'll ban you from their party.
She included W-2 in a linked quote back on the third page of this thread and I was surprised that her outstanding source didn't seem to know it, either. She knows what it means but is trying to make me look bad with that fool question. I respect her as much as anyone here but she tried to make me look stupid with that post and did it to herself.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Well... okay, I won't....

edit - Oh, the tax form.

Oh well. I thought it was some sort of RW code.
No you didn't, you know what that number means and you also know that once the employer starts putting it on the W-2 the workers are just a little bit from paying on that number as income tax.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck 360 View Post
We previously had a GREAT healthcare plan through our employer. We recently got our 2011 packets and they dropped our plan because it is somehow considered a "cadillac plan". So contrary to what President Obama guaranteed, we did in fact lose our healthcare plan that we liked.

Now we have to pick the lesser plan that we did not want in the first place. But to make matters worse, that plan comes with an almost 40% increase in premiums. That also is not what President Obama guaranteed us would happen.

So as it turns out, we lost our healthcare plan and our premiums skyrocketed. NO we don't want the Obamacare and NO it did not turn out better for us.
Would you be unhappy if I changed my screen name to Beck 180 or something like that. Everybody here knows that i am a supporter of Beck but that would make it so much more like me.

They don't want to see that you have to pay that much for a much lesser plan because the promise was that if you like it you can keep it. It was after the election that we started finding out about "cadillac plans", wasn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies