Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:18 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times

Advertisements

Maybe the game has evolved around available body types? If thousand of Asian athletes were entering the draft the game would evolve around their body types until eventually an African Americans body type would not be suited to a game that required aerial moves and acrobatics.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:48 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
And what about female slaves? A lot of them worked as maids in the house and not on the field.
This is really a very dark chapter of American history, not sure whether it is better to forget it or discuss it.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:22 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I don't believe Mr. Solis is anything but a troll who has enjoyed an 8 page end run. Personal danger... ... you have no idea. I'll even put my soul on the line and suggest that you are not even chicano as you claim but are pure Aryan Redneck out for yet another troll of the black community and the susceptible component of white supremacist conservatives. How's that for a basic observation Mr. Solis? Do we have an interception?

H
Yep. lol

Old 11-04-2010, 06:34 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Are there any comparative statistics on the athletic achievements of more recent, voluntary African immigrants?
It in most cases it's not African immigrants that are making inroads, at least in American professional sports. It's the second generation children. There have been some notable African immigrants players in the NFL and NBA:

Christian Okoye - A running back known a the "Nigerian Nightmare". He actually a first generation African immigrant born in Nigeria. He was a 6'1" 253 pound running back that played from 1987 to 1992 for the Kansas City Chiefs and ran for 4897 yards in his career.

Hakeem Olajuwon - Born in Nigeria. One of the great centers in NBA history. He played for the Houston Rockets and averaged over 21 points in his career.

Manute Bol - One of the tallest player ever to play in the NBA. Not really a great player but a good defensive player. He played in the NBA from 1985 to 1995. In addition to is playing career he was notable for working to improve the plight of people in the Sudan. He died of illness earlier this year.

Michael Olowokandi - Born in Nigeria. The first pick in the NBA draft in 1988 by the Los Angeles Clippers. Great athletic ability not so great motivation. Gemerally considered one of the biggest bust in recent NBA history.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:37 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
And what about female slaves? A lot of them worked as maids in the house and not on the field.
This is really a very dark chapter of American history, not sure whether it is better to forget it or discuss it.
If you can't discuss it openly then you can't move past it.

As a country we REALLY need to move past it.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:37 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So, why is it weird? Black people don't "belong" in certain sports?

That's what they used to say abot Blacks in football and basketball.
Yea. That's it.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:56 AM

185 posts, read 463,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
.................................................. ...................

there's an observable phenomenon, and it necessitates some explanation.
again...very well said......this was what i was tryin to say all along.....and converse on this point alone.....not all the hoopla....thanks for making it clear

Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
I was thinking that .hehehe
we know you were thinking that.......and the 43 drivers in Nascar....and the couple hundred golfers......and the NH who are very well known and watched......

However, the thousands and thousands and thousands of American little league players swamping the baseball diamonds, flooding the football fields, and playing soccer....hardly ever want to grow up and be Kenny Wallace, or Phil Mickelson, or Wayne Gretzky......the biggest main most popular most talked about biggest crowds, biggest arenas bowl games parades world championships are in Football, Basketball, and Baseball.................so to actually make it to the NFL, NBA, MLB.....you are one of the very very very best out of all the millions of young players trying to get there their whole younger years.....training lifting practicing sports shakes special coaches special shoes......and surprisingly not to me.....most of the big time in your face superstars and the teams that hire them are African Americans or how i call them.....my black amigos from home........i dont know where the fancy name came from....but i use it......i'm not tryin to fight.....not trying to belittle....just discussing whats goin on around us

Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Solis View Post
I was at a local gathering place yesterday watching sports news with my white amigo buddies, the fellas.....when I casually brought up the keen observation that almost all the professional and college sports teams are now almost entirely African Americans...it wasn't met in the happiest or most understanding way?!? One buddie of mine was flatout offended and said i couldnt name 5 African American running backs, which i proceeded to answer very easily...hes lucky i didnt ask him to name 5 white running backs in the NFL....Now i am a Chicano.....meaning my dad and a long line through him are of mexican heritage (along with some italian, native indian, spanish) where we date back to the 1700's down in a little town called La Grulla, and my mom was a blonde hippie child of several european ancestries, from Oklahoma....so i look like a mexican but i am pure whiteboy, well kind of.......about the African American thing in sports....it doesnt offend me..and niether am i overly greatly glad about it......i just realize the reality of the situation...and have my eyes open!!!!

How this happened??? i mean before college and pro coaches startin allowing them to play on unsegregated teams back in the day......I mean I believe the slave days actually helped them out.....all my studies on this subject do reveal a couple hundred years of carefull breeding plans by, well the slave owners and farm managers, etc........

Why is this such a touchy subject still today.....long after the North became Victorious over the South......hopefully there will be a day that this subject can be discussed without somebody getting offended in one way or another....geeeeeeezz

I mean it is so so obvious that African Americans are born naturally better to do many physical activities....and its not pickin...whatever....now they're mostly pickin up packs of dollar bills from the bank...the sports player ones
I remember when a white man said the same thing and he was fired... Jimmy the Greek, remember him? I'd like to know why it was racist for him to say it but not racist when you say it?

And most of them will NOT get a college degree... and something needs to be done about that!

Old 11-04-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I know his Spanish isn't that good.............
pretty good for a chicano born and raised in OKC....PCW class of 88 ****

but my spanish is good enough to live 1 mile from Mexico for 10 years and live and work where no english is spoken....and my spanish sounds way better than i write it guey...cuz i dont have to spell anything.....so if you look at the words and get out ur dictionary...every word is gonna be wrong......but i know spanish pretty well for an okie....way better than 95% of okies

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-05-2010 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: English is the only language allowed on this site
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies