Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 03:05 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I did just that using the single search term in this forum and 4 out of 5 of the threads are about Muslims oddly enough. Using Muslim instead of Christian as the search term and it is almost entirely Muslim.

I could list a few of the 236 thread topics concerning Muslims while searching under the search term, "Christian" and it is pretty clear that bashing Islam and Muslims in general has been elevated to a virtuous sporting event. Another interesting pattern is the repetition of names that are associated with these posts. We could compare volume if you like however.
I'm not surprised that you would see those results when doing a search for Muslims, because there are Muslims giving cause for such thoughts, since Muslims are murdering innocent people all over the planet, cutting off heads, blowing up bodies, and threatening the lives of people who disagree with them, all in the name of Islam. There is no comparison with Christians.

I'm surprised that you even bothered to go thru the trouble of doing a search for animosity for Muslims at all, we have had tens of thousands murdered in the past few years all in the name of Islam. If the same number of people were being murdered all over the world in the name of Christianity, then I would assume the level of hostility towards them was warranted, but they aren't, and it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Excuse me, your persecution complex is showing
Dude, this thread is evidence enough that I am correct. I haven't done a search in this thread for "Sky daddy" but I would not be surprised to find it mentioned already.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
FYI: All religions believe that others and their adherents are not perfect. I agree that we should all keep it to ourselves.
You have that right. I've had more then a few encounters with bible thumpers who think anyone who is not their exact religious sect, is somehow flawed and on their way to hell.

I saw this comedian named Imu (spelling) on HBO twenty years or so ago, and he did a hilarious routine on religion.

He tells a story of how he was crossing a bridge and came across a man who was about to jump to his death. He stops the guy:

Imu: "Are you a man who believes in God?"

Jumper: Why, yes i do.

Imu: Well, so am I!!

Imu: Are you Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Sikh or Pagan?

Jumper: Christian.

Then Imu goes thru about 10 different variations of Christianity, always giving two choices which branch off from each other, like are do you follow the old or new testament, are you Catholic or Methodist.

Eventually he gets down to two obscure sects of the various Southern Baptist lines of worship, and when the guy answers option "B", Imu says "So I pushed him off the bridge shouting 'Die heathen'".

I thought it was funny.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:36 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Abortion doctors, a large group of people in Oklahoma City and a few hundred thousand innocent civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan come to mind.
I'm still six pages behind in this thread but I had to respond to this misinformation right away. ONCE AGAIN, McVeigh was NOT a Christian. He was agnostic and said "science is my religion". I swear I must have mentioned this 30 times on these boards.
Now, I'll go back to page six and continue reading.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:43 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You have that right. I've had more then a few encounters with bible thumpers who think anyone who is not their exact religious sect, is somehow flawed and on their way to hell.

I saw this comedian named Imu (spelling) on HBO twenty years or so ago, and he did a hilarious routine on religion.

He tells a story of how he was crossing a bridge and came across a man who was about to jump to his death. He stops the guy:

Imu: "Are you a man who believes in God?"

Jumper: Why, yes i do.

Imu: Are you Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Sikh or Pagan?

Jumper: Christian.

Then Imu goes thru about 10 different variations of Christianity, always giving two choices which branch off from each other, like are do you follow the old or new testament, are you Catholic or Methodist.

Eventually he gets down to two obscure sects of the various Southern Baptist lines of worship, and when the guy answers option "B", Imu says "So I pushed him off the bridge shouting 'Die heathen'".

I thought it was funny.
Emo Phillips. Funny comedian. Great Joke. It really picks up @ 2:00 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDmeq...eature=related

Old 11-04-2010, 04:03 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
People who strongly identify as Christian and actually take the religion seriously--like reading the Bible, attending church regularly, having a nodding familiarity with Christian doctrine--are not a majority of Americans--not that I would be compelled to like them any more if they were. They are usually very odd ducks.

The majority of Christians attend church. Real life intrudes sometimes and they don't make it every week but they do attend church regularly. When I moved to Houston one of the first things I did was try to find a church nearby. I manage to make it to service about 1-2 times a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Anybody who ascribes to any organized religion, is scary. They presume to think they know what is right, they don't, any more than anyone else.
Most liberals and pseudo-intellectuals presume to think they know what is right and then proceed to try and enforce it on the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
It should be obvious to even the most casual observer that religion when taken to extremes produces the likes of the Taliban and our own famed Moral Majority and it's successors.
Yeah, who can forget the carnage of the Moral Majority's bomb-laden rampage during the 1980's and 90's. The planes blown up, the beheadings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Now, before you start quibbling, I realize that the above does not necessarily prove Hitler believed in the Christian doctrine--only in its usefulness.
Exactly. He attempted to use religion to rally and unify the people. Your quote was from 1933. By the time of the war he had largely abandoned it because he found out that Christianity is not such a good religion for whipping people up into a warlike state. He even lamented about how horrible it was that Germany was saddled with such a 'weak religion' and wished he had a warrior religion to work with "like Shinto or Mohammadism(Islam)".

Old 11-04-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Emo Phillips. Funny comedian. Great Joke. It really picks up @ 2:00 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDmeq...eature=related
EMO!!! No wonder I could never find any videos of him, my spelling was way off.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:35 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Dude, this thread is evidence enough that I am correct. I haven't done a search in this thread for "Sky daddy" but I would not be surprised to find it mentioned already.
I will admit that many non-believers/Atheists/Agnostics can be a little....brash. I myself have succumbed to it more than once, but it's usually only because I've been pushed into a defensive corner by believers. If you corner an angry person, they WILL retaliate and it won't be pretty. It seems to me that many religious folks will push and push and push a non-believer until they inevitably lash out, then they can run away yelling persecution and telling everyone how the mean old Atheist made them feel bad.

I used to be a lot more tolerant (yeah, I said it) regarding Christians...but in the past few years of being pushed around by them I've become far more defensive and yes, mean. I by no means speak for all non-believers though.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:50 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
i personally prefer santa clause because he is less judgmental, gives endless amounts of gifts, and he is far more jolly.

Cosigned and Repped

Old 11-04-2010, 05:01 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
Truth hurts. OOOOH Christians are so scary, where is the proof of that? Who have Christians killed, on planes, or anywhere for that matter, lately?
I guess you conveniently forgot about the Muslims massacred in Bosnia and Serbia in the 1990's by Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies