Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:24 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
If you hate Christians in America then it is either self loathing or you hate someone in your family or circle of friends. Last time I looked Christianity was the majority of Americans.
People who strongly identify as Christian and actually take the religion seriously--like reading the Bible, attending church regularly, having a nodding familiarity with Christian doctrine--are not a majority of Americans--not that I would be compelled to like them any more if they were. They are usually very odd ducks.

Quote:
You look at any political race and you will see a Christian.
Yes, and that's precisely the problem.

Quote:
If you want to avoid a Christian legislature or law maker then you would need to go to another country and even then it would be hard to find a country that has no Christians.
It's not too hard to find countries in the advanced world where a politician's religion is not a matter of public scrutiny and does not matter--since politicians there understand they are in office to serve the public interest (or at least pretend to be doing so) rather than advance their religious ideas. The U.S., sadly, is an exception to that rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 10:33 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Most politicians belong to one religion or another. Heck even a lot of Catholic politicians support abortion on demand. A politician is a politician is a politician if you know what I mean.

Also, you are very sheltered if you think people do not go to church. Don't you have any churches around you and don't you see all the cars around it on Sundays? I guess you do not live where they have church row like most cities have. Blocks and blocks of churches and all being attended.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:36 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Also, you are very sheltered if you think people do not go to church. Don't you have any churches around you and don't you see all the cars around it on Sundays? I guess you do not live where they have church row like most cities have. Blocks and blocks of churches and all being attended.
I guess I don't. Either way, polls have shown for the last 20 years that fewer than half of Americans attend weekly religious services.

And I guess you do not live where there are lots of people who might casually check off "Christian" on a survey but wouldn't know the Sermon on the Mount from a transit of Venus--let alone bother you about whether you are "saved"?

Fewer Americans Than Thought Going to Church, Says Study

Old 11-03-2010, 10:42 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Well, it is her right to express herself, isn't it? I certainly do agree that she probably should have kept this to herself or within her trusted inner circle, as it were, but, really when you think about it, it isn't any different than what Juan Williams or Rick Sanchez did.

As we have seen time and time again on this forum, it is very hard to argue with peoples' perceptions about those 'other' than themselves. To this woman, evangelical Christianity is extremely threatening. Perhaps she is recalling some of the accusations hurled at Jews by Christians over the centuries (they kill children so they can drink their blood...) Or, perhaps, she is simply concerned about her rights being infringed upon by someone whose religion is different from her own. Gee, where have we heard that before?
or perhaps she is a misguided liberal
The dems act stunned when they lose elections, but it is pretty simple. the US still has many white people, and many Christians living here. And we vote If dems want to win then they will have to show some respect to all people, and not just minority groups.
and, if you didn't notice: Women and hispanics are starting to vote for the repubs

Old 11-03-2010, 11:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It sounds chauvinistic and rude to me. Apparently she has never heard of The Holocaust.
She (Coulter) is probably a denier.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:34 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I assume she doesn't believe that religion belong in politics and was speaking of someone who was making their Christian faith a central part of their platform. I can't say that I blame her. Some very vocal people are using faith as a bargaining chip and giving it a bad name, mostly Christians, so that's why the bad vibe. I don't want to hear about what otherworldly thing someone believes in, I want to hear about how they can help us in this world.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:41 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
Truth hurts. OOOOH Christians are so scary, where is the proof of that? Who have Christians killed, on planes, or anywhere for that matter, lately?
As they say, Google is your friend. Try looking up these keywords:
Christian, witches, Africa or India

Old 11-04-2010, 08:49 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
So, you support the building of the NYC (Ground Zero) mosque and think that Juan Williams deserved to get fired from NPR? Or does your rule only apply to Christianity?
I oppose bigotry in all it's forms.

Not even quite sure what sort of point you are trying to make besides some backhanded attempt to call me a hypocrit based on....nothing. Sorry for the lecture but I've ripped people a new one in other threads for hating on muslims, gays etc. as well so I think perhaps some people might be feeling a bit ashamed of themselves and are lashing out to deflect.

I don't oppose building mosques and I don't know enough about the Juan Williams thing to comment.

You can pick pretty much any group and there will be bad parts. Using the bad parts to label the entire group is generally the work of guys wearing white sheets and the scary thing is they *know* they are right in their hate.

Welcome aboard the hate train everyone, but it's ok....because you are right.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:01 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

You can pick pretty much any group and there will be bad parts. Using the bad parts to label the entire group is generally the work of guys wearing white sheets and the scary thing is they *know* they are right in their hate.

Welcome aboard the hate train everyone, but it's ok....because you are right.
Precisely.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:09 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
I was stunned , she is Jewish and if I said " he is a Jew " I would think of myself bad person . I am guessing she is a non practicing Jew , she is a pro-choice , every woman should get a free abortion, Democrat .

To think it is OK to speak of Christians ( I am one) as " frightening " , and to say it loud for everyone to hear . ..
I didn't know what to say , I still don't .

Someone explain this woman to me , is this what Democrats think ? Is this what NY and California were thinking yesterday ?

I must add that I have never heard a Jewish person ever say anything like this . I think it was more of a shock because she was Jewish . My neighbors want to have 20 kids.

This is what one woman said. Why are you asking for an explanation stretching it so far as to assign what she said to all Democrats? How do you know SHE was even a Democrat? This is bizarre. (And are you aware that a completely unrelated statement with no connection whatsoever to the rest of your post attached itself to the end?)

You can't judge a entire group of millions of people by what you overheard one person say, just as I can't sit here and wonder why in the world all people from out west would throw in an extra space before every comma and period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies