Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 12:28 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Hey Mohawk,

I never meant for this thread, to be 'race-baiting'. Those are YOUR words. This thread is meant to be a thoughtful, intelligent debate, regarding African Americans
and reparations. But if this thread bothers you that much, then you don't have to
participate.
I'm pretty sure that in one of your responses to a post you didn't agree with, you said you're clearly caucasian. Sounds pretty race baity to me.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:29 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baront70 View Post
There is no such thing as an african american!!!! You are not from africa you were born in this country you are an American and that is it, quit letting the government discriminate against you!!!!!
Blacks have been called many things over the centuries...

Negros, coloreds, Blacks, & now most recently the political correct term they like to throw at us "African American".

Most Blacks have no defining identity just as a lot of White/Caucasian American's don't.

I have friends who are Black/American Indian, Black/Asian, Black/Caucasian, etc...none of them came from Africa.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 11-08-2010 at 12:52 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 12:30 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
ChattyPatty,

Government assistance (if you mean Welfare), is available to anyone, regardless of their race. And BTW, there are more WHITES collecting Welfare, than African Americans. Here's a link to an article, that confirms that fact:
More whites than blacks on welfare despite myth | Jet | Find Articles at BNET

Reparations, on the other hand, would be specifically for African Americans. Here's a link to another article, that explains just what reparations is all about, and why African Americans deserve it:
Why American Blacks Deserve Reparations
As long as reparations are a poltical process it's not going to happen. There simply is not enough poltical support in this country for it to happen. Also if you are going to ask for reparations you'd have to include the African countries where the ancestors of present day Black Americans were sold into slavery.

The energy people spend hoping for a check from the government is better forth doing things that will yield tangible results as far as improving your life.

What may I ask is a fair price to compensate somebody for something their ancestors suffered from?

Why not do something in your life to look to the future without depending on somebody else TO GIVE YOU SOMETHING?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:31 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
As our first African American president, should Barack Obama implement reparations, for African Americans? African Americans are still disproportionately poor, unemployed, targeted and profiled by law enforcement, and face many other injustices, based on their race. So, is it high time, that Obama get serious about reparations for African Americans now?
Do you know some black people who were slaves at one time? I thought that all of them had died but then he may find a couple if he looks really hard. I am just asking if you think that reparations to someone who has never earned them is legal or even sensible.

Last edited by roysoldboy; 11-08-2010 at 12:41 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 12:33 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,868 times
To the posters who want to debate African American heritage; slaves that were brought here from Africa, did mix with other races. Regardles of that, you are considered an African American, if you had ancestors from Africa, who were slaves in American.

No matter what names we have been known by over the years (Negroe, colored, Afro-American, Black, and now African American), we were the decendents of slaves in America.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:35 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
If you have seen the movie "Waiting For Superman" is shows how bad the problem is.
And yet it's the Democrats who fight tooth and nail against school choice/vouchers... sentencing millions of those kids to inescapable sub-par educations. Hmmm...

Old 11-08-2010, 12:38 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
To the posters who want to debate African American heritage; slaves that were brought here from Africa, did mix with other races. Regardles of that, you are considered an African American, if you had ancestors from Africa, who were slaves in American.

No matter what names we have been known by over the years (Negroe, colored, Afro-American, Black, and now African American), we were the decendents of slaves in America.
Not all of "you" are. BTW, you deserve nothing but a huge dose of reality.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:43 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:

If I really wanted to, I could dig up my ancestry & use the 0.5% American Indian to my gain (free education, free place to live, free money), but wouldn't in a 100 years because I know its just stupid the same I feel with reparation for Blacks who have about that much "African" in them.

Do you realize the real African American's (ie: the ones that come from Africa) don't relate to the ones born here?

The ones coming from Africa are HIGHLY educated people, usually in the medical field as doctors or nurses & are of Catholic faith.

They are also usually married for life, no divorce.

Pretty sad though when the Black American's poke fun at them because of their success yet are quick to point out the good their country has done claiming it as their own.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 11-08-2010 at 12:53 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,868 times
Metro Matt,

I didn't come from Africa. But my slave ancestors did. Which makes me, and others with my heritage, African American.

SourD, here's the same link that I provided to ChattyPatty. It's to an article, about the fact that there are more Whites on Welfare, than African Americans. And the article does give percentages: More whites than blacks on welfare despite myth | Jet | Find Articles at BNET

And JazzyTallGuy, here is the link, to the article regarding why African Americans deserve reparations. I'm hoping that it will enlighten you on the subject:
Why American Blacks Deserve Reparations

sickofnyc99, you took my comment to Metro Matt, as race-baiting. I meant it to be a wake-up call to him, regarding the fact that most whites, don't know much about, or approve of, reparations.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:00 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:

the problem with calling ones self a hyphenated american indicates a dual citizenship, which the vast majority of black in this country do not have. the other problem with calling ones self a hyphenated american means you are separating yourself from the rest of the country, and that is a divisive measure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies