Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are whites at large embarassed by being accused of discrimination (race, ethnicity, national origin,
It's very humiliating and embarassing. I would want to make things right or amends if possible. 3 4.62%
I'd be concerned but nothing more. 6 9.23%
No feelings about it what so ever. 19 29.23%
I do not care what minorities think, feel, perceive, or experience. 15 23.08%
I would feel good. I am okay with discrimination because I believe negative stereotypes are true. I prefer my own race and culture. 5 7.69%
Other thoughts, feelings, opinions, and ideas that I'd like to share on the forum. 17 26.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 12:26 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,976,467 times

Advertisements

This is a loaded poll and it smells like a continuation of the topic that was recently closed because certain kids on here can't debate without blanket accusations and name calling, degenerating the quality of discussion on this forum.

Artsyguy, do white people racially insult you on a daily basis? Does every white guy on the street, at your place of work, etc. eyeball you in a way that makes you think, look at that <insert minority description> scum? How many times have you been harassed because of your race or sexual orientation since January of this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 12:54 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,249,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I always love it when someone calls me a racist just because I am white. I usually slowly pull out my wallet and show them the picture of my Asian wife. Then I walk away and let them pick up their jaw so that they do not need to be embarrassed.
The existence of an Asian wife (especially to a white man) does not necessarily indicate a non-racist disposition, especially if both happen to share an equal disdain for a race other than Asian or white. I always say that the quickest way to gauge whether racism exists in white men is to observe their response to the prospect of their daughter bringing home a black man.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:21 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,249,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Do whites at large feel embarrassed, shamed, humiliated, or deeply concerned when they are accused of discriminating against a person or people of different color, race, ethnicity, culture, ? Or is it of no consequence because the benefits of white privilege will likely protect and shield the accused of embarrassment and shame?
This is something I've wondered about from time to time. Looking at the recent Kanye West/George Bush episode for example, I've always wondered what causes some white folks to become so indignant at being called a racist. It seems to me that behind the thin curtain of political correctness lies a vast realm wherein white privilege rules the day, so much so that being accused of racism really wouldn't make one bit of difference one way or the other to the person so accused.

I really don't see how being called a racist significantly mars a white man's image in the eyes of his white peers, especially in a white-dominated culture and environment where casual bigotry is usually allowed to flourish uncontested, nay even at times encouraged.

Similarly, in a heteronormative or patriarchal culture one would be hard-pressed to convince me that a random accusation of homophobia or sexism would significantly tarnish a straight guy's image in the eyes of his like-minded peers, especially to the point where he would become visibly upset and defensive in response to the accusation.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:49 AM

37,158 posts, read 42,290,039 times
Nah. When I discriminate, I mean it.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:04 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,089,498 times
I was just accussed of racism at work the other night-a lady called to make a reservation at our place and I told her I was going to transfer her to central reservations (we don't make reservations locally, we transfer them to a national data-base). She said "Why can't you do it? Oh I see, you only take reservations for white people, you racist white b****". As if I knew or cared what color she was over the phone????

Am I embarrassed? No, I let it roll off me, I simply don't care what others think. Nice slanted poll, BTW.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:09 AM

56 posts, read 121,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I was just accussed of racism at work the other night-a lady called to make a reservation at our place and I told her I was going to transfer her to central reservations (we don't make reservations locally, we transfer them to a national data-base). She said "Why can't you do it? Oh I see, you only take reservations for white people, you racist white b****". As if I knew or cared what color she was over the phone????

Am I embarrassed? No, I let it roll off me, I simply don't care what others think. Nice slanted poll, BTW.
And they say whites are racist. Ha!

Old 11-15-2010, 05:06 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,595,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Do whites at large feel embarrassed, shamed, humiliated, or deeply concerned when they are accused of discriminating against a person or people of different color, race, ethnicity, culture, ? Or is it of no consequence because the benefits of white privilege will likely protect and shield the accused of embarrassment and shame?

Well your opening sentence reeks of racisim against white people!! Why just whites? I see people of other races, cultures, etc... discriminate also.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:08 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,595,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
This is the definition of a loaded question. This isn't a constructive question and its designed to get a reaction out of whites. I personally think there are a couple closet racists on this board but this is purely inflammatory to all white posters on this board, racist or not.

Well said!

Old 11-15-2010, 05:27 AM

20,365 posts, read 19,975,593 times
Quote:
Are whites at large embarassed by being accused of discrimination (race, ethnicity, national origin, skin color)?
Of course not. Baseless accusations and name calling have no effect on me.

Being that I am white male, take my feelings on the op for whatever their worth.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:37 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,512,118 times
The Democrats have overplayed the race card so much that the accusation is starting to lose all it's power.

Tea Partiers want a fiscally sound government = must be a racist.
A person wants the Federal Government to secure our borders = must be a racist.
Don't like Obamacare = must be a racist.

The Democrats have made the word meaningless, which is unfortunate because there are real racist out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies