Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:55 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,000,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
They had clear majorities in both Houses and the White House for 6 years and STILL didn't do it.
No they didn't.

Can't you even get this simple fact straight?

The Senate went back and forth between the parties and neither party enjoyed the numbers the dems have now and you see how hard it is to get things done with 59 votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 07:05 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,374,199 times
I think they might be on to something and Obama will not seek a second term. All the hope and change excitement is gone and he is exposed of who he really is. Some states have talked about taking away the vetting process to determine eligibility for POTUS.That would open up a old can of worms and I think 3 states out of several have passed legislation. Face it,he will be lame or swing to the right for the next 2 years upsetting his base. I do not see him winning in 2012 and I think he will see it the same way and not run.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:09 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,594,792 times
It would be best for the Democrat party if he did not run, and obviously people within that party are also starting to say the same thing.

However, when has this idiot ever done what is best for anyone or anything other than himself? He is an arrogant, narcissist, pig and he will absolutely run.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:11 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,510,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
So, republicans want sick poor kids to die slowly without HC. Got it.
That's right, that's what we Republicans want. We want sick poor kids to die slowly. We also want to make socks out of puppy fur, and to outlaw rainbows. We join Mr. Grinch in his proposal to ban Christmas.

Of course, since no one is proposing to ban medicaid or state level programs like Sooner care, I guess poor sick kids would still get health care even if Obama care is withdrawn.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:45 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,552,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
No they didn't.

Can't you even get this simple fact straight?

The Senate went back and forth between the parties and neither party enjoyed the numbers the dems have now and you see how hard it is to get things done with 59 votes.

The Senate did not go back and forth between 2000-2006 and neither did the House. They both had solid Republican majorities for the whole six years, during which time they used the same parliamentary tactics the Democrats have used to exclude the Demo's from doing much of anything.

In other words, they could have, and did, pass anything they damn well pleased to pass, yet never even attempted to do those things they promised they'd do.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:10 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,071,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
So? Thanks for posting their past failures, you did know they were failures and not wins, didn't you. I am sure the GOP does not want Obama to run again, sorry to burst your bubble but it looks like is going to do just that. As for concentrating on the work to be done, I am sure he will. just I am sure the OP House will everything in their power to stop anything he wants to do then proudly proclaim that the President could get nothing done so the voters should pick another Repub for the WH. Bad news is a lot can change in two years and if the economy starts showing more improvement and the GOP over estimates their current mandate then the odds are in Obama and the Dems favor. I find it interesting that anyone from the right would say the Dems should stop running for office while the whole time talkig about the next election, Hypocritical thinking at it finest.
Casper
I think you misunderstand the opinion piece. They are saying Obama could be thought of as a GREAT president if he decided that fixing the nation's problems was more important than campaigning for the next two years. I'm saying that no Democrat in office or no Democrat who currently makes a living off of Democrats in office, and who agrees, would ever suggest such a thing because it could be a career ender. I think it could only come from some well-known Democrats who currently don't make a living as a politician in the Democrat party or currently works for the Democrat party. If Republicans say it, it's meaningless. That's why I asked if anyone else who is a well-known Democrat has brought it up. If you substitute "Republicans" for Democrats, I'd still want to know the answer. I wasn't paying a lot of attention to political strategy when Carter was president to know if anyone ever suggested to him not to run for re-election with the problems of the country at that time.

I do remember LBJ's televised speech that he would not seek re-election but since I was a kid at the time have no memory of the politics part of the decision.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:19 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,857,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I hope he does exactly what they recommend...take himself out of consideration for 2012.

Why?

Because with him gone, the GOP will have nothing. No target. No enemy to point their rabid supporters at. No agenda. By doing that, he would take away their ammunition and force them to reveal their bankrupt ideas, force them to actually govern.

He would be doing his nation and his party a great service to leave the GOP standing there with empty hands.
lol Obama ran against Bush and Bush was leaving office. I wouldnt count on the Gop couldnt still run against Obama like agenda. Or link the democrat running to Obama. Just like Obama did McCain and Bush its only fair

Old 11-15-2010, 08:25 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,965,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think you misunderstand the opinion piece. They are saying Obama could be thought of as a GREAT president if he decided that fixing the nation's problems was more important than campaigning for the next two years. I'm saying that no Democrat in office or no Democrat who currently makes a living off of Democrats in office, and who agrees, would ever suggest such a thing because it could be a career ender. I think it could only come from some well-known Democrats who currently don't make a living as a politician in the Democrat party or currently works for the Democrat party. If Republicans say it, it's meaningless. That's why I asked if anyone else who is a well-known Democrat has brought it up. If you substitute "Republicans" for Democrats, I'd still want to know the answer. I wasn't paying a lot of attention to political strategy when Carter was president to know if anyone ever suggested to him not to run for re-election with the problems of the country at that time.

I do remember LBJ's televised speech that he would not seek re-election but since I was a kid at the time have no memory of the politics part of the decision.
Thing is ALL politicians are running for re-election even after they are in office it is the nature of the beast these days. That said I believe the President IS trying to deal with the many issues facing this nation, but do keep in mind that the new Repub House is not going to work well with him since they have stated over and over that is their intention. Sad commentary on our politics but bi-partisan actions by either Party is the rarity and not the norm, but what else can we expect when we vote in people that make it clear that they have no intention of working with anyone from the "other" Party. We get the government we deserve, excpect Gridlock and few solutions for the next few years and maybe far beyond, no matter who controls the House, Senate or Whitehouse.
Casper

Old 11-15-2010, 08:27 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,158,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
So? Thanks for posting their past failures, you did know they were failures and not wins, didn't you. I am sure the GOP does not want Obama to run again, sorry to burst your bubble but it looks like is going to do just that. As for concentrating on the work to be done, I am sure he will. just I am sure the OP House will everything in their power to stop anything he wants to do then proudly proclaim that the President could get nothing done so the voters should pick another Repub for the WH. Bad news is a lot can change in two years and if the economy starts showing more improvement and the GOP over estimates their current mandate then the odds are in Obama and the Dems favor. I find it interesting that anyone from the right would say the Dems should stop running for office while the whole time talkig about the next election, Hypocritical thinking at it finest.
Casper
Gee, whatever gave you that idea?

Senator Jim DeMint (R-SC) said, "If we're able to stop Obama on this it will be his Waterloo. It will break him."

McConnell stood by his recent comments that the "single most important thing" for the GOP to achieve in the new Congress is to make sure Obama doesn't get a second term.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:29 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,849,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Like sealing the boarders, promoting school vouchers, switching from a paygo to a funded/private social security system, and repealing Obama care? Fair enough, I'll take that agenda and you can have Obama back.
Elvis Presley was a boarder. SEAL HIM NOW.

/the more you know.

Elvis Presley's Homes in Memphis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies