Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 06:44 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I'm going to be flying during the first week of December. I've thought long and hard on this subject and I'm sorry but, I don't have an issue with a body scan. It looks like it's relatively quick and then you're done. Tons are worried about radiation but, how many of us has had at least ONE xray in their lives? I've had plenty! I certainly wasn't worried about radiation at any of those visits.
As for the pat downs, I do agree that they are taking it too far. If the scanner is going to show everything anyway, then why the need for the additional pat down? As I understand it, they are random anyway, no? Either way, if that's what they have to do then that's what I'm submit myself to doing.
I'm probably flying ONE time this year, I hardly think it's worth my time to complain, worry, stress or concern myself over having to take a little more precaution if it means I can rest easy on my flight home.
Just puttin' that out there....
1. The X-Rays you have had were performed by trained professionals. TSA officials are not trained to operate those types of machinery.
2. Going through the scanners do not automatically exempt you from being patted down ... If any foreign object shows up (tampon, sanitary napkin, medical devices, prosthetic, etc), you will have to endure the pat down in addition to the scan.
3. Maybe you only fly once per year but many of us fly more frequently so yes, this is a concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
The really sad part is that there's scanners and scanner hardware available today that portray those scanned more or less like a gingerbread man (yellow personlike figure) with any potential problem marked as a red spot on the location where it's "hidden", yet they choose to use these, if they actually do care about the privacy of the general public, on has to question why they don't invest in this software instead.

Here's an example of one in use at Schipol airport in Holland

The fact of the matter is this: Someone somewhere makes a lot of money on these machines, and they were waiting for an excuse to install them. The underwearbomber was a welcome excuse. This has nothing to do with safety.
I'd rather use those type of scanners versus the ones in use now. Also, I've heard that the explosive device that the underwear individual had in his undies would not even been detected by these scanners anyways.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:00 PM

Let me ask those who support the new scanning procedures:

If the TSA decided to use rectal or vaginal examinations to check for the presence of explosives, would you be so willing to submit?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
From what I understand, the explosive that the Christmas terrorist harbored within his underwear could not be detected by the new scanners. Isn't this incident the precise reason why they implemented this invasive search procedures? Also, why were travelers reporting that the new scanners were roped off and not being used on Wednesday, one of the busiest travel days of the year. Was it a PR stunt to ward off the effects of the protests that were to occur that day? If so, why did PR trump security if these machines are essential to airline safety? Sorry but this is not adding up.
Sunday is the next most traveled day when people fly home. Wonder if the machines will be roped off then too? Wouldn't be surprised.

And then there is this

TSA | Mythbuster

The plain old metal detector would certainly have found the blade. Either the scanners were not doing their job or it didn't work.

Good thing he's not a terrorist.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:36 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
I most always get the extra search, have no idea why. Oh well, yes it is annoying,however it is such a small aspect of my life why complain? The TSA does need to have better training and the pat down can be moddified

Old 11-27-2010, 07:40 AM

302 posts, read 580,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
Since so many people are so against the pat downs and body scans and feel it violates rights,what would be your suggestions to a better security check? now keep in mind the world we live in now. not 30 years ago.
Adopt the screening methods that Israel uses, they have a really good track record.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:23 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Full body scanners may not be 100% effective. All passengers (of mixed gender) should be taken in groups to a large room, set up in a line, and told to strip completely. Then all naked passengers will have to stand with feet shoulder width apart and bend forward as the TSA officials slowly walk down the line inspecting everyone. Airport gatherings such as this could be fun for everyone, especially if all of a sudden the lights go out.
WOW!!!! I've met several people whose sexual preferences ran from same gender, differing gender, farm animals, large melons et al, but....I have never met anyone of mixed gender.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:38 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Default DHS & TSA: Making a list

An internal memo reportedly issued on 11/22 “in response to the growing public backlash against enhanced TSA security screening procedures and the agents conducting the screening process” , which actually takes the form of an administrative directive, appears to be the product of undated but recent high level meetings between Napolitano, John Pistole, head of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), and one or more of Obama’s national security advisors. This document officially addresses those who are opposed to, or engaged in the disruption of the implementation of the enhanced airport screening procedures as “domestic extremists.”
The terminology contained within the reported memo is indeed troubling. It labels any person who “interferes” with TSA airport security screening procedure protocol and operations by actively objecting to the established screening process, “including but not limited to the anticipated national opt-out day” as a “domestic extremist.” The label is then broadened to include “any person, group or alternative media source” that actively objects to, causes others to object to, supports and/or elicits support for anyone who engages in such travel disruptions at U.S. airports in response to the enhanced security procedures.
For individuals who engaged in such activity at screening points, it instructs TSA operations to obtain the identities of those individuals and other applicable information and submit the same electronically to the Homeland Environment Threat Analysis Division, the Extremism and Radicalization branch of the Office of Intelligence & Analysis (IA) division of the Department of Homeland Security.
It would appear that the Department of Homeland Security is not only prepared to enforce the enhanced security procedures at airports, but is involved in gathering intelligence about those who don’t. They’re making a list and most certainly will be checking it twice. Meanwhile, legitimate threats to our air travel security (and they DO exist) seem to be taking a back seat to the larger threat of the multitude of non-criminal American citizens who object to having their Constitutional rights violated.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:57 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
An internal memo reportedly issued on 11/22 “in response to the growing public backlash against enhanced TSA security screening procedures and the agents conducting the screening process” , which actually takes the form of an administrative directive, appears to be the product of undated but recent high level meetings between Napolitano, John Pistole, head of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), and one or more of Obama’s national security advisors. This document officially addresses those who are opposed to, or engaged in the disruption of the implementation of the enhanced airport screening procedures as “domestic extremists.”
The terminology contained within the reported memo is indeed troubling. It labels any person who “interferes” with TSA airport security screening procedure protocol and operations by actively objecting to the established screening process, “including but not limited to the anticipated national opt-out day” as a “domestic extremist.” The label is then broadened to include “any person, group or alternative media source” that actively objects to, causes others to object to, supports and/or elicits support for anyone who engages in such travel disruptions at U.S. airports in response to the enhanced security procedures.
For individuals who engaged in such activity at screening points, it instructs TSA operations to obtain the identities of those individuals and other applicable information and submit the same electronically to the Homeland Environment Threat Analysis Division, the Extremism and Radicalization branch of the Office of Intelligence & Analysis (IA) division of the Department of Homeland Security.
It would appear that the Department of Homeland Security is not only prepared to enforce the enhanced security procedures at airports, but is involved in gathering intelligence about those who don’t. They’re making a list and most certainly will be checking it twice. Meanwhile, legitimate threats to our air travel security (and they DO exist) seem to be taking a back seat to the larger threat of the multitude of non-criminal American citizens who object to having their Constitutional rights violated.
That's pretty disturbing to say the least. Do you have any links for a source?

Old 11-29-2010, 01:19 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Let me ask those who support the new scanning procedures:

If the TSA decided to use rectal or vaginal examinations to check for the presence of explosives, would you be so willing to submit?
ONLY, if they bought me dinner first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies