Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 01:33 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
I was talking with some fellow historians about the politics leading up to the civil war and in retrospect the country was in some similar situation as it is in now. Most people believe the civil war was about freeing slaves, to some extent that it is true however there was much more southern voting rights, tariffs, and taxes etc. The civil war in some ways also was an direct effect of the fight between a central federal government and a more powerful state government. I believe if things go too far down this road were on there is the chance that a split will be made or possibly annother civil war like experience.
I'm loooking forward to it. Let's have at the traitors who would take up arms against the United States. We were fools to pardon them after the last uprising. Treason is Treason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 01:37 PM

243 posts, read 275,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
The Confederate States of America should also be on that list.

I like that knock against the South, dude. I guess the fact that millions of Southerners have faught in every war since then doesn't count for much to you does it?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
Most people believe the civil war was about freeing slaves, to some extent that it is true however there was much more southern voting rights, tariffs, and taxes etc.
Nah...it was 100% about slavery, even though most of the knumbskulls who fought to keep slavery didn't even own any slaves. Goes to show that the rich were manipulating the poor and undereducated (or UNeducated period) even at that time.

However, i don't see us going into another Civil War. For what? Most Americans, despite their carping and whining, are pretty comfortable with the way things are...unfortunately. Who'd want to lose their Harley, bass boat, McMansion, new SUV or Pickup, or 5 ATV's in a war?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
We are citizens of our States we live in.
What is the process for becoming a "citizen" of a state?

Quote:
Our States participate in a union of ideas.
A perpetual state.

Quote:
Our States no longer have any say, in the ideas forced on the States.
Ah but the residents of the states, citizens of the United States, do.

Quote:
The voice has been taken from the citizens.
Hardly, last time I checked they made quite a statement a few weeks ago.

Quote:
It would be the same as the United Nations telling the USA what when and why, but the USA has no say at all.
You're trippin.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:15 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,088,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwater View Post
I like that knock against the South, dude. I guess the fact that millions of Southerners have faught in every war since then doesn't count for much to you does it?
Please, put down the bong and step away from the scissors...

The "Confederate States of America" and "The South" have not been the same thing since April 9th, 1865.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:22 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwater View Post
They took up arms against America, not much different than al Quieda

Old 11-17-2010, 02:32 PM

243 posts, read 275,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
They took up arms against America, not much different than al Quieda
LOL. Well then what about the drug runners comming over from mexico, isn't America worth defending from them?

Old 11-17-2010, 02:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Look, if you guys are going to start this revolution/revolt/uprising whatever you want to call it, please hurry up, I'm not getting any younger.

signed a gun owning liberal

Old 11-17-2010, 02:39 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
As I suspected - you are not aware of the difference between a republican and democratic form of government. This is to be expected, as we are all victims of the world's greatest propaganda ministry. I was in my late 30's when I finally started reading the law myself.
Then I realized that my education in a government controlled school system was highly suspect.
We are not in a direct democracy. We allegedly select representatives to make policy decisions for us. I don't agree that the average person has ANY impact on what happens on a federal level. I even highly doubt that they have an effect on a state level. It's all bought and paid for.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

signed a gun owning liberal
LMAO. Some folks don't believe we exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies