Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 01:48 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,438,358 times

Advertisements

Look i hate to say this, think of me as you may, but i do know a lot of wealthy People some in my family and plenty of friends whom have moolah.

Someone above was right, they did not get rich, by any stretch of the imignation, they got rich, by being smart, making the right decisions, and knowing how to invest a Good College Education. And the People i know who do have money, believe me watch their pennys. And i mean watch their pennys.

They have the money to buy what most of us envy, but they also save, and know when to spend.

I don't envy them, i am proud of them, for making a very sucessful living, we are not doing bad ourselves, but not what you would call rich, comfortable very comfortable, that too came with long hard hours and sweat.

But i know a lot of friends who have very little, but very little to show for what they make, for they spend their money irresponsible, booze and partying ain't going to get you there. Bitchi-- about what the wealthy have ain't gone to get you there, being smart and having a plan of action, is a start. Wealthy People are very smart with the money that they have, while some who have very little, have no sense of knowing how to save that is the difference, however you may feel. Somtimes truth hurts.

For those of you who want to bit-- about what the wealthy have, get out there and do something about it, if it upsets you so much, don't cry and be a baby, i hate that, help yourself by thinking as a wealthy person would.

And i know so many who do freely give to so many Charities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 02:23 AM

465 posts, read 463,602 times
LMAO that so many people are defending billionares rights. Unbelievable.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:29 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,347,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
How about starting a business to create jobs for all those people to actually EARN their keep instead of believing the successful people should be sharing it for nothing.

Couldn't rep you, Sunny, but...

Old 11-18-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I can feel the compassion and sincerity in your words, Nomad. Are you giving half your pay up to help these folks that you have seen? Sold your car to raise money for them? Given up a hobby, or skimped on your luxuries? Or are you just philanthropic with other people's money?
I don't have a lot of money so I don't have much to give. I do help when I can. Usually I give out lots of money to crippled people I see on the street. In the past i've done volunteer work.

I'm not living in the USA anymore. Leaving the USA made me realize how cold and spiteful American people can be to homeless in comparison to other places.

The average American's attitude towards homeless is "this scumbags just need to get off their lazy butt and get a job." But there are lots of homeless people facing challenges and struggles that you can only have nightmares about.

The coldness and lack of empathy on this site is shocking. I guess it's because it's been used as a politica wedge issue in the US.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Look i hate to say this, think of me as you may, but i do know a lot of wealthy People some in my family and plenty of friends whom have moolah.

Someone above was right, they did not get rich, by any stretch of the imignation, they got rich, by being smart, making the right decisions, and knowing how to invest a Good College Education. And the People i know who do have money, believe me watch their pennys. And i mean watch their pennys.

They have the money to buy what most of us envy, but they also save, and know when to spend.

I don't envy them, i am proud of them, for making a very sucessful living, we are not doing bad ourselves, but not what you would call rich, comfortable very comfortable, that too came with long hard hours and sweat.

But i know a lot of friends who have very little, but very little to show for what they make, for they spend their money irresponsible, booze and partying ain't going to get you there. Bitchi-- about what the wealthy have ain't gone to get you there, being smart and having a plan of action, is a start. Wealthy People are very smart with the money that they have, while some who have very little, have no sense of knowing how to save that is the difference, however you may feel. Somtimes truth hurts.

For those of you who want to bit-- about what the wealthy have, get out there and do something about it, if it upsets you so much, don't cry and be a baby, i hate that, help yourself by thinking as a wealthy person would.

And i know so many who do freely give to so many Charities.
This is the truth, Cali...couldn't rep you either...
Sometimes the difference between being "rich" and "poor" is how smart you are with your money!

Old 11-18-2010, 02:37 AM

I'm realizing that you people living in the USA on this forum have a TOTALLY different reality about this than I do. Lots of you do not see abject poverty and suffering like I see on a daily basis. I've been away from the US for years and I sometimes forget what the mindset is like out there.

You are indifferent and cold towards the poor and you think they are all lazy bums.

"Spreading the wealth" is a buzzword and a political wedge issue in the US and most of you already have a prepackaged "no" answer ready to do at any suggestion of something like this.

Such is life.

Last edited by NomadRefugee; 11-18-2010 at 02:47 AM..

Old 11-18-2010, 05:37 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
I'm realizing that you people living in the USA on this forum have a TOTALLY different reality about this than I do. Lots of you do not see abject poverty and suffering like I see on a daily basis. I've been away from the US for years and I sometimes forget what the mindset is like out there.

You are indifferent and cold towards the poor and you think they are all lazy bums.

"Spreading the wealth" is a buzzword and a political wedge issue in the US and most of you already have a prepackaged "no" answer ready to do at any suggestion of something like this.

Such is life.
I guess whereever you moved has a worse solution dealing with poverty than the US. Perhaps it needs a bit of capitalism...maybe you can help that society by introducing some

If you can cite one, just one society where spreading the wealth to the point of no poverty has worked, please let us know. What works well in your head does not work in real life. Such is life.

I will give an example how different minds think. Obama wants to do away with or severely limit the deduction on charitable donations. In other words, instead of you getting a deduction on the money you contribute he wants to tax it so he can decide how to distribute it. He obviously thinks he is in a better position to distribute it to the causes that are best for the country. Don't you find that offensive? Don't you wish to have control on how you distribute your money?

In school, they keep trying group projects where everybody gets the same grade. It is supposed to be a lesson in teamwork, that we all succeed if we all work together. The problem is those that do the bulk of the work are rewarded (graded) the same as those that do not contribute at all. All that is learned by the overachievers is they either do not want to work with groups where the reward is the same or they no longer feel the need to overachieve. I wish colleges would do group projects over and over until the long term effects are known by the students. A lot of people in real life already know.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
I guess whereever you moved has a worse solution dealing with poverty than the US. Perhaps it needs a bit of capitalism...maybe you can help that society by introducing some

If you can cite one, just one society where spreading the wealth to the point of no poverty has worked, please let us know. What works well in your head does not work in real life. Such is life.

I will give an example how different minds think. Obama wants to do away with or severely limit the deduction on charitable donations. In other words, instead of you getting a deduction on the money you contribute he wants to tax it so he can decide how to distribute it. He obviously thinks he is in a better position to distribute it to the causes that are best for the country. Don't you find that offensive? Don't you wish to have control on how you distribute your money?

In school, they keep trying group projects where everybody gets the same grade. It is supposed to be a lesson in teamwork, that we all succeed if we all work together. The problem is those that do the bulk of the work are rewarded (graded) the same as those that do not contribute at all. All that is learned by the overachievers is they either do not want to work with groups where the reward is the same or they no longer feel the need to overachieve. I wish colleges would do group projects over and over until the long term effects are known by the students. A lot of people in real life already know.
I'm not suggesting to spread the wealth to the point that everyone is equal or there in no poverty. I'm just looking at ways to help folks out.

For the past few years i've been in lots of poor countries and seen lots of messed up, heartbreaking stuff. I've seen abject poverty that could be helped out with the table scraps of th average American.

I've seen people cry with joy because I gave them about 20 US dollars. These are good, hard working people who are victims of circumstance.

In the US there is a huge problem with poverty too. But out there most people just see the poor as lowlifes and scum who deserve no help.

It's the 21st century, I think we should think of ways to evolve beyond the rat race mentality we have now. But I know most people never, ever think on this level.

I don't have all the answers, but I do know that the world needs a major change as far as how economics works.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:07 AM

You are talking about redistributing America's wealth among poor people in another country? Although the U.S. has always been more than philanthropic to other countries, I think we have our own poor in THIS country to consider first.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:48 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,219,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
There are a handful of people who have enough wealth to end the poverty and suffering of everybody on this entire Earth. That's no exageration.

I'm not talking about people with a couple hundred thousand, or even a couple million dollars.

I'm talking about people with hundreds of millions of dollars or even billions.

Is there any reason why one individual should have a billion dollars?

The whole "trickle down" theory is obviously NOT working as it's supposed to. The wealth trickles down at a drip and a flood is needed.

Many of these ultra-rich people do not even operates businesses and pay employees. They simply move investments around and hoard the money.

I think something needs to be done about this. What do you think? This has been getting more and more out of control in recent years.
first who are these people you say are ultra rich can you name them?
Do you think there shoudl be a cap on how much people are allowed to make? How do you enforce that?
Once again who are these people you say are like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies