Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should gay TSA agents be allowed to give same-gender pat-downs?
Yes, they should be allowed 49 45.79%
No, they should not 55 51.40%
Not sure 3 2.80%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 09:02 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
On this we can agree - it is outrageous.

If you opt out of the naked scanner, they will intimidate, bully and make it uncomfortable for you.

Just let them try this with one of my daughters, either with the scanner -NOT going to happen, OR the pat down - NOT going to happen.

The solution?

LOOK for those people who fit the profile of the people out to bring down a plane.
What profile would that be? Are you really that ignorant to try and stereotype terrorists? Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 09:06 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I'd want to know what's wrong with the scanner. What do they really think I'll be able to smuggle aboard that they would find in a patdown that they can't find on a scanner.

I'd even prefer a strip search to having someone else TOUCH me. And if that was the only option, I'd eat the cost of the ticket first.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:18 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
They made a big mistake by not marketing the patdowns as a free "massage" like the ones available downtown.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:27 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Would any of you do the same or join in some sort of protest against this treatment?
I'll let you know. I'm flying in five hours.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:45 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I was hoping that Obama would at least rid of us that ridiculous "color warning" system that they invented after 9-11 "the color for the day is now YELLOW"- who cares? The airport experience now feels like scenes from "1984" or "V for Vendetta". I mostly drive when I can just to avoid the crappy treatment that we receive at the airports. The 9-11 terrorists have WON. We are the least FREE that we have ever been in this country.
Still in favor of giant government regulation? If so, this is what you will get.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
And it won't get any better folks..it will only get worse.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
I find the following article rather distubing because it is advising Muslim women to refuse the full-body scans and to tell the "pat-down" thugs that they may only pat around the head and neck. First of all, it is because of Muslim extremists that we have all this "security" in the first place. But then to tell Muslim women that they are exempt from having the intrusive pat downs that the rest of us will be subjected to is just plain ridiculous. My suggestion is to install booths at airports that each of us would pass through and if you are hiding explosives, it will detonate them. That way, only the "baddies" will be affected and it will make another seat available on a crowded flight. It is cheaper (no team of TSA thugs required), much fairer, and certainly faster. How can it be wrong...?

Muslim Group Advises Women Wearing Hijabs to Allow TSA
Unlike you, I don't have a built in anti-Muslim bias, so this seems to be a legitimate complaint to me. If Muslim women adhere to certain guidelines of modesty in clothing and body contact based on religious beliefs then it seems like our Constitution should protect their right to pratice their faith as they see fit. I would think that these same types of situations would also come up with Catholic nuns and other more "hardcore" adherents of all religions that preach modesty as a virtue.

If we have reached the point where fear has overcome reason and people agree to toss some of our most sacred Constitutional protections on the trash heap in order to feel a little bit safer, than you have to question whether the US as we know it is really worth saving.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Unlike you, I don't have a built in anti-Muslim bias, so this seems to be a legitimate complaint to me. If Muslim women adhere to certain guidelines of modesty in clothing and body contact based on religious beliefs then it seems like our Constitution should protect their right to pratice their faith as they see fit. I would think that these same types of situations would also come up with Catholic nuns and other more "hardcore" adherents of all religions that preach modesty as a virtue.

If we have reached the point where fear has overcome reason and people agree to toss some of our most sacred Constitutional protections on the trash heap in order to feel a little bit safer, than you have to question whether the US as we know it is really worth saving.
And a stranger groping me at the airport is not a legitimate complaint ?

Old 11-12-2010, 11:05 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
I wouldn't want to expose myself to one of those scanners, but I would be more afraid of Airbus. I just read that Airbus has warned airlines that faulty electronic systems could render their A320 planes uncontrollable, which it seems has already happened when a British Midland plane did not respond to a pilot's actions for minutes But they are working on the problem

Anyway, I have ceased to go by plane, unless it is really unavoidable, which would basically only be the case if a close relative died.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:33 PM

563 posts, read 1,286,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What is the goal of terrorism ?
Yes, terrorism IS winning in America.

Here's one snippet that has proven true here in America with our intensified screenings:

"designed to have far-reaching psychological repercussions beyond the immediate victim or target"

Terrorism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hope Amtrak gets a big boost from this. They could use the money.

WRONG, its the companies involved in airport security that are winning. Manufacturers of those scanners are laughing all the way to the bank. "qui bono?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies