Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:41 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,993,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Without a warrant that is the excuse they are using.."national security".

That is becoming the "carte blanche" of law enforcement.
Right, today all the power structure needs to claim is that the reason is "national security" and good Americans are expected roll over like puppies.

As if there are no values, benefits, or ideals that can compete with "security".

Just another sign the country is going down the crapper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 06:46 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,234,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What did the Founding Fathers know about shoe bombers or airplanes for that matter?
Perhaps you could rephrase the question to: What did the Founders mean when they said the right of the people to bear arms (and inflict capital punishment upon those who trespass) shall not be infringed?

Why should any American be disarmed by his "public servants"?
It's not for his own good... unarmed people are easy prey. Why shouldn't airline passengers be armed to the teeth?

Then we add in the observation that suicidal attackers are hard to deal with - under current rules. The perception that America is "attacking" Islam, helps fuel the zealots to retaliate.

I am curious as to the constitutional delegation of authority to invade two Asian nations, absent a declaration of war, or any demonstrated attack upon Americans by said nations, their military, or their people. (9/11 terrorists were predominantly Saudi - which should have resulted in an attack upon the home of Islam's most holy shrine ... uh, forget I mentioned that...)

Old 11-19-2010, 06:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,088,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
No it doesn't. That's why they didn't get a search warrant. Because the law wouldn't allow it. Hence, they abuse this loophole to get around that fact.
Here is what you wrote:

What's going on is here obvious. The Federal Government has the authority to conduct border searches of people entering the country that are far broader than for those inside the country, and such searches require no search warrant. The Government has that power in order to prevent security threats from entering the country, but here, they are clearly exploiting and abusing it in order to conduct investigative searches which would ordinarily require a search warrant but for which they have no basis to obtain one.

I asked a question based upon your statement.

I'll be back tomorrow.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Right, today all the power structure needs to claim is that the reason is "national security" and good Americans are expected roll over like puppies.

As if there are no values, benefits, or ideals that can compete with "security".

Just another sign the country is going down the crapper.
Fear ..use fear that something bad will happen to the country unless they can do what they want without needing to follow the law.

It's creeping into our lives. We're like frogs in a slowly boiling pot of water.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:02 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,993,016 times
Quote:
Here is what you wrote:

What's going on is here obvious. The Federal Government has the authority to conduct border searches of people entering the country that are far broader than for those inside the country, and such searches require no search warrant. The Government has that power in order to prevent security threats from entering the country, but here, they are clearly exploiting and abusing it in order to conduct investigative searches which would ordinarily require a search warrant but for which they have no basis to obtain one.

I asked a question based upon your statement.

I'll be back tomorrow.
Everything wiki leaks did was completely legal. All this man did was help set up a defense fund for the accused.

Only a rank authoritarian would cheer on the government spying on him without a search warrant.

And how do you KNOW this situation involved a "security threat"????? Because you are taking the government world for it aren't you?.....That's is sad.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:15 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,306,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99percent View Post
That's what I stated in my OP. The point was....I don't feel our founding fathers would allow this.

They might take lessons from say......Israel?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post16718862
They couldn't even fathom sky travel when the constitution was written. I really don't think that these guys were DaVinci's.

Did you complain about the patriot act when it was enacted?
You (generic) got what you wished for.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:25 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,404,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99percent View Post
That's what I stated in my OP. The point was....I don't feel our founding fathers would allow this.

They might take lessons from say......Israel?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post16718862
When the founding fathers were considering the 4th amendment I don't think they considered a person's sirname as cause for an on the spot search.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/sept11/...-usat.htm#more

I mean we could just forget about the 4th amendment and go about basing searches on dragnet profiling. Men tend to make up the vast majority of rapists...why not force all men to submit their DNA to a national registry dedicated to catching rapists? Illegal immigration is a huge problem, why not make all the legal citizens give their biometric data to the government so employers can run searches to make sure everyone they hire is legal?

Though for some reason I think these would be very bad ideas.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 11-19-2010 at 07:42 PM..

Old 11-19-2010, 07:52 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,042,684 times
Quote:
What did the Founding Fathers know about shoe bombers or airplanes for that matter? .
They knew enough.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin (1775)

Old 11-19-2010, 08:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
They couldn't even fathom sky travel when the constitution was written. I really don't think that these guys were DaVinci's.

Did you complain about the patriot act when it was enacted?
You (generic) got what you wished for.
No but they had Benedict Arnold who took over West Point.
Did they go all pansy and "fearful" after that and not trust any other American until they proved themselves ? Here we are guilty until groped into innocence.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:28 PM

914 posts, read 4,447,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Now what triggered this was the underwear bomber. If you recall his father reported his son as dangerous and this guy was also on the No-Fly list. So even with his father reporting him and him being on the no fly list he still got on the plane and his underwear bomb dudded out.
The really stupid thing is that the underwear bomber flew here from another country. He didn't even board his plane in America. I'm all for air safety, but things have gotten a little ridiculous. We're groping our holiday travelers, and yet 90% of cargo containers that enter this country go unchecked. Talk about wonky priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies