Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,730,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You are not required to take a lunch break. Is it unethical to eat lunch?

You are not required to stop working after 8 hours (you can voluntarily work more), so is it unethical to go home after your shift ends?
Actually, I am required to punch out no later than six hours from the beginning of work to take an unpaid "meal" break, even though I don't eat. I don't know whether it is company policy or state law, but we can't work more than six hours straight. As for the one ON the clock? I work right through it, and if it weren't for the fact that they wrote me up for working off the clock once, I'd skip the second as well (I'd punch out, and go back to work). Now I have to sit and do nothing for a half hour.

And they're pretty picky about the overtime...in addition to the whole "working off the clock" thing. Otherwise, I'd gladly do it. I can always find ways to make my area look even better, if given the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 09:40 AM

31 posts, read 44,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
So there were no homeless people prior to the 80's? Who knew?
Noboldy knew if since it is a fabrication.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:41 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,730,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Wrong. On average, Democrats are the wealthier breed.

Your vacation time is part of a benefits package offered to an employee.

It's not unethical to partake of your employment benefits - it's an agreement between two entities.
It is accepting pay for nothing in return. You work, they pay you. But if you take a sick day or a vacation day, you don't work, and they pay you.

That's theft.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:42 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,115,219 times
There are people that choose to be homeless so then you never can end it.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:43 AM

10,066 posts, read 15,738,348 times
Stay on the original topic (homelessness) or the thread will be closed.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:38 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,129,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Stay on the original topic (homelessness) or the thread will be closed.
I have nothing to say until someone tries to pick apart the statistics I posted a couple pages back.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:40 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,352,913 times
Open up Federal land.

Unabomber's Cabin

Old 11-30-2010, 10:55 AM

17,659 posts, read 14,791,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It is accepting pay for nothing in return. You work, they pay you. But if you take a sick day or a vacation day, you don't work, and they pay you.

That's theft.
If a homeless* man took vacation time and got paid for it, because of a prior agreement with their employer, it's not theft.

For a theft to occur, the homeless man would need to be taking something unlawfully. Pre-arranged vacation time (or sick time for that matter) isn't theft.

Find me a link where someone was brought up on charges for taking paid vacation and then we'll talk.

*Staying on topic as requested

Old 11-30-2010, 11:21 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,223,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
National Alliance to End Homelessness: About Homelessness: Snapshot of Homelessness

.22% of people are homeless in the US on any given night.
That's stats are skewed to achieve a desired result. You should rely on data from a more neutral organization.

Anyway, accepting your figures for the time being, we're talking about .22% of the population.

I will now teach you something you didn't learn in the 5th Grade.

A figure of 0.22% is 660,000 people.

And we spend more than $60 Billion per year on them we comes out to:

$90,909 per homeless person per year.

That is 6 times more than I make per year, which with VA Disability and the contract work I do, about $14,000 per year.

$90,909 is twice the median income (and that is median and not mean) of households in Ohio.

And you want us to give them more money?

You have to be insane.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:41 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,352,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Actually, I am required to punch out no later than six hours from the beginning of work to take an unpaid "meal" break, even though I don't eat. I don't know whether it is company policy or state law, but we can't work more than six hours straight. As for the one ON the clock? I work right through it, and if it weren't for the fact that they wrote me up for working off the clock once, I'd skip the second as well (I'd punch out, and go back to work). Now I have to sit and do nothing for a half hour.

And they're pretty picky about the overtime...in addition to the whole "working off the clock" thing. Otherwise, I'd gladly do it. I can always find ways to make my area look even better, if given the time.
A pinup is worth a thousand floor sweepings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies