Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 06:53 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline May View Post
It's a well-known fact that the administrative costs of Medicare (non-profit government program) is far lower than the for-profit health insurance corporations, when compared as a percentage of overall program costs. It only stands to reason that, in the case of a major insurance corporation, when you have principals, senior executives, shareholders and the like to satisfy, that the quality of services to their insureds will suffer all for the sake of protecting the bottom line.

But, sorry, I'm not buying your argument that the drop would only be 3-5%. Not what the data suggests that's out there.

But I'll concede your point that profit-seeking is not the only reason that health care costs are so high. Waste, fraud and abuse do account for some portion of those rising costs, too.
That is valid but not sound. Big, for profit insurance companies make their profits through the scale of operations and they will all be diversified into real estate, financial instruments, etc. etc.

Medicare always pays hospitals and health care providers below actual cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 07:06 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
This is why we think Democrats are gullible .

Old 12-02-2010, 07:17 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,235,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Jonathan,

Does the government not have a responsibility to us as taxpayers to make sure that new spending is funded appropriately? All the Republicans are asking for is that if the benefits are extended for the unemployed, that they be funded by tax cuts somewhere else. It is called fiscal responsibility. Why should the entire country go into debt further to provide assistance to a relative minority? These same people have been milking their benefits for many months, if not years, now. It is time to take off the training wheels and let them stand on their own two feet. If Ernie has to go back to Arkansas, tough! That is life and life ain't fair. Anyway, he appears old enough to get Social Security so maybe that will help him.
These same people have been milking their benefits for many months, if not years, now. It is time to take off the training wheels and let them stand on their own two feet.

So superior acting! I assume you like playing god.Where do you get them milking benefits for years? Degrade and demonize is the Republican way.im
You are not more Patriotic, your values are no better and you are not more of an American because you are a Repub.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:18 AM

After 36 years of military service, he retired with a pension of about $2,000 a month and entered the private sector, where he’s worked various security jobs across the country for the past two decades. In the past few years, he’s received Social Security benefits of about $300 a month on top of that.
But take from that about $1,100 in monthly mortgage payments, plus car payments, medical bills — his wife suffers from seizures that keep her from working, but don’t qualify for government disability benefits — and credit cards, and there’s more going out than coming in.

Hold on here , he has $2,300 coming in and unemployment ? Cry me a river ! He needs to cut back , downsize , and they could both find a job working 1-2 days a week .
Find a story with needy people in it for goodness sake.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:21 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,235,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
..and as to ERNIE from ARKANSAS...

With his look and appearance, he certainly did well in the wife department. She seems like she must have been quite a looker in her day, and still somewhat is.

I think Ernie needs to either develop other skills - why not truck driving or start a burger joint. Why is that he comes to Nevada, and can't find the right corporation to work for, that the government is than expected to give him free money instead. What happened to people being creative and finding other ways besides just a corporation or the government to provide them money?
He went to Vegas and got a job! How did you miss that? How can he start a burger joint when he is broke from being laid off from his job?
Have you ever had your back to the wall?

Old 12-02-2010, 07:38 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
He went to Vegas and got a job! How did you miss that? How can he start a burger joint when he is broke from being laid off from his job?
Have you ever had your back to the wall?
He has two homes. Granted it says the other one isn't much but it means he's been paying property tax on both. Plus, at 73 he's paying off a car besides a mortgage and he owes money on his credit cards. This man should not have been given a mortgage and a car and I'm sorry but my 2 bedroom apartment is cheaper than his mortgage payment. You mean to tell me they couldn't find a one bedroom apartment cheaper than the $1100 a month mortgage payment? They would die of old age before the mortgage is paid off.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
He has two homes. Granted it says the other one isn't much but it means he's been paying property tax on both. Plus, at 73 he's paying off a car besides a mortgage and he owes money on his credit cards. This man should not have been given a mortgage and a car and I'm sorry but my 2 bedroom apartment is cheaper than his mortgage payment. You mean to tell me they couldn't find a one bedroom apartment cheaper than the $1100 a month mortgage payment? They would die of old age before the mortgage is paid off.
(FYI- I rented out a house that I own , 1 hr from where he lives for 570 a month , 3 bed 2 bath , small 2005 .Yes he could be living on less)
This is not a story of unemployment , it makes me mad .He is spending to much !
I would like to thank him for his service . I hope someone will help him learn to live on less .

Old 12-02-2010, 07:50 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,237,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Because you like to give away other peoples money?

Old 12-02-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Because you like to give away other peoples money?
Well that's a given .

Old 12-02-2010, 08:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
I expect to make another attempt a my own business once I have a retirement to pay for the essentials. Hell, I might even have the time.

Anybody interesed in a stand alone biodeiesel fueled household size co-generation (heat and electricity) set up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies