Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:05 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I'm a little confused, you are a Democrat because you like to see people make bad financial decisions and lose their jobs? Because thats the result of the Democratic actions...

I'm confused, you are a Democrat because you dont want to extend unemployment benefits? (its the Demcorats stopping this, not Republicans)

I'm confused because government has spent $320B on unemployment extension in addition to the nearly $1T by Obama, and Obama keeps telling us things are better, and yet these people clearly are not doing better.

I'm confused because we dont see Democrats whining about how the $320B has added to the national deficits and whining about how many jobs were lossed in order to pay (or more accurately not pay) for these checks..

I'm confused because the reporter couldnt find someone worse off to do a story about? The man in the story is receiving $2300 a month and cant survive, even though its more than many americans and is far above the poverty rate?

I'm confused because his income, primarily is derived from that very same free market capitalism system that you Democrats hate and want to stop..

The man is 73, he cant find a job, and thats why you are a Democrat?

Last edited by pghquest; 12-02-2010 at 08:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 08:15 AM

88,988 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
You make a very valid point about personal fiscal responsibility. Every individual should make financial decisions based on good planning for the future, not fulfilling every unrealistic wish and desire.
However, just as an individual has that responsibility, so does the business world. It has become very fashionable for big business to maximize profits at the expense of the average worker while the upper levels of management have no accountability but reap all the rewards. The fact that is often ignored is that business would not be able to function without public services and workers. Therefore, business should also plan and function with a social conscience. Pleasing shareholders should not be the first priority. Generating a reasonable profit is a valid goal but should be balanced with reinvesting in the general society.
Interesting little diatribe ...that shows you have absolutely no idea what happens to those big businesses' profits.

Demonizing big business is a double-edged sword because of the following (this article is a pretty basic explanation of how big business ownership and profits work, but you'll get the idea):

"This shift of business ownership from rich people to working people may be the greatest economic transformation since the Industrial Revolution.
...So what does all this mean? Well, for starters, it should lead to an end of complaints about the profits of corporations and allegations about 'greedy corporations.' After all, much of that profit now goes toward the current and future retirement incomes of working people."
Business Ownership & Labor Day

Everyone who contributes to or benefits from a 401k, pension fund, mutual fund, annuity, or whole life insurance policy, etc., is an owner of big businesses, en masse. They get the corporate profits.

Limit big businesses' profits, and pensions/retirement accounts for millions of Americans who've worked throughout their lives go bye bye. Do you really think that's a good idea?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
So you are a democrat because a Man in or close to 70 who has had 99 weeks of unemployment insurance is going to move out of Las Vegas back to his traditional home
So are you a Democrat because he has had almost 2 years on unemployment? And you want the rest of us to make it 3 years
Are you democrat because he failed to set up for his retirement so the rest of us have to pay for him now?
Are you a Democrat because he chose to move to Vegas?
Are you a Democrat because did not make it in Vegas
Please tell me why you are a democrat

Old 12-02-2010, 08:35 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
You make a very valid point about personal fiscal responsibility. Every individual should make financial decisions based on good planning for the future, not fulfilling every unrealistic wish and desire.
However, just as an individual has that responsibility, so does the business world. It has become very fashionable for big business to maximize profits at the expense of the average worker while the upper levels of management have no accountability but reap all the rewards. The fact that is often ignored is that business would not be able to function without public services and workers. Therefore, business should also plan and function with a social conscience. Pleasing shareholders should not be the first priority. Generating a reasonable profit is a valid goal but should be balanced with reinvesting in the general society. Sooo, when corporate America decides to outsource and cut jobs just to maximize profits, causing massive unemployment, that is just as irresponsible as the individual who goes out and buys an LCD TV or an SUV while having trouble paying a mortgage.
Buuuut, the individual cannot hire a lobbyist so they lose out. Sadly, a city like Las Vegas is a prime example of corporate greed gone wild.
Most of the outsourced jobs didnt pay top dollar anyway. Thats why its easier to ship them overseas. Hardly any training needed.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:36 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Who controls big metropolitan inter cities?
Democrat Progressive?
Republican Conservative?

The perfect lab experiment.

What is your conclusion?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:58 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Please tell me why you are a democrat
I voted Democrat because

10. I voted Democrat because I believe oil companies' profits of 4% on a gallon
of gas are obscene but the government taxing the same gallon of gas at 15%
isn't.

9. I voted Democrat because I believe the government will do a better job of
spending the money I earn than I would.

8. I voted Democrat because Freedom of speech is fine as long as nobody is
offended by it.

7. I voted Democrat because I'm way too irresponsible to own a gun, and I know
that my local police are all I need to protect me from murderers and thieves.

6. I voted Democrat because I believe that people who can't tell us if it will
rain on Friday can tell us that the polar ice caps will melt away in ten years
if I don't start driving a Prius.

5. I voted Democrat because I'm not concerned about the slaughter of millions
of babies through abortion so long as we keep all death row inmates alive.

4. I voted Democrat because I think illegal aliens have a right to free health
care, education, and Social Security benefits and we should pay for it with what
we earn and give to the government through our taxes.

3. I voted Democrat because I believe that business should not be allowed to
make profits for themselves. They need to break even and give the rest away to
the government for redistribution as the democrats see fit.

2. I voted Democrat because I believe liberal judges need to rewrite the
Constitution every few days to suit some fringe kooks who would never get their
agendas past the voters.

1. I voted Democrat because my head is so firmly planted up my a** that it is
unlikely that I'll ever have another point of view.

I'll keep my Freedom, my God and my Guns... You keep the Change...

Old 12-02-2010, 09:42 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I basically take the argument based on healthcare. Republicans assume that everyone must work for the right corporation to be worthy of healthcare. Democrats tie healthcare into government.

Personally, why not just separate healthcare from either corporations/government. Just simply have everything AT COST for the true worth of the medicine or medical services. That way no one is absolutely required to find the perfect corporation to get healthcare.

The other that I don't like is our government strongly discourages private enterprise, mom-and-pop businesses, etc. You simply cannot afford healthcare for yourself or your employees with the current system. So we funnel people away from being creative and attempting business ideas, and lead them into finding the right corporate employer to provide all their needs instead.

I agree that government and corporations are a fundamental part of our lives. But I just don't like that basically either Democrats or Republicans try to push ALL responsibility for our welfare onto either one or the other.
I like this. I like the idea of people taking charge of their own lives.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:51 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,259,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post

Medicare always pays hospitals and health care providers below actual cost.
I wonder how many of our left leaning friends know that this statement is too true and a large part of what is killing our system. I would say that none of them have picked up on me saying it over and over, but with so many words that they don't read them.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:53 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I voted Democrat because

10. I voted Democrat because I believe oil companies' profits of 4% on a gallon
of gas are obscene but the government taxing the same gallon of gas at 15%
isn't.

9. I voted Democrat because I believe the government will do a better job of
spending the money I earn than I would.

8. I voted Democrat because Freedom of speech is fine as long as nobody is
offended by it.

7. I voted Democrat because I'm way too irresponsible to own a gun, and I know
that my local police are all I need to protect me from murderers and thieves.

6. I voted Democrat because I believe that people who can't tell us if it will
rain on Friday can tell us that the polar ice caps will melt away in ten years
if I don't start driving a Prius.

5. I voted Democrat because I'm not concerned about the slaughter of millions
of babies through abortion so long as we keep all death row inmates alive.

4. I voted Democrat because I think illegal aliens have a right to free health
care, education, and Social Security benefits and we should pay for it with what
we earn and give to the government through our taxes.

3. I voted Democrat because I believe that business should not be allowed to
make profits for themselves. They need to break even and give the rest away to
the government for redistribution as the democrats see fit.

2. I voted Democrat because I believe liberal judges need to rewrite the
Constitution every few days to suit some fringe kooks who would never get their
agendas past the voters.

1. I voted Democrat because my head is so firmly planted up my a** that it is
unlikely that I'll ever have another point of view.

I'll keep my Freedom, my God and my Guns... You keep the Change...
Nicely done

Old 12-02-2010, 10:03 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
..and as to ERNIE from ARKANSAS...

With his look and appearance, he certainly did well in the wife department. She seems like she must have been quite a looker in her day, and still somewhat is.

I think Ernie needs to either develop other skills - why not truck driving or start a burger joint. Why is that he comes to Nevada, and can't find the right corporation to work for, that the government is than expected to give him free money instead. What happened to people being creative and finding other ways besides just a corporation or the government to provide them money?
It certainly looks as though Ernie's financial situation has not resulted in any decline in his calorie intake.

I realize that EVERY SINGLE TIME I mention this, someobody has something to say about it....but I will say it again anyway......

I checked the Craigslist ads for Las Vegas and there are lots and lots of them. Kitchen help, bartenders, salesmen.

Ernie needs to push himself away from the dinner table and get out there and OBSESSIVELY seek employment. They aren't going to come knocking on his door.

He makes $2300 a month and he can't live on that???? Please! Please! That's absurd. $1,100 mortgage for a MOBILE HOME that looks like it is in a trailer park? There is something terribly, terribly wrong with this picture.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies