Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:28 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,536 times

Advertisements

It is coming up on a week since Thanksgiving. I wonder how many of us remembered to heed the wise, God-Acknowledging words of our Founding Father, George Washington, who in his 10/03/1789 "Proclamation - Day of National Thanksgiving," stated, "Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor..."

Or did we just stuff our faces with turkey and head out the door to be first in line for the Friday Sales?

We came to this land and fought for our Freedoms, including the freedom not "from" religion but "of" religion. Whatever your faith, heed the words of those who fought for and founded this country and acknowledge that this country was founded on the belief in God. Be Respectful. Give Thanks.

George Washington: Proclamation - Day of National Thanksgiving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
It is coming up on a week since Thanksgiving. I wonder how many of us remembered to heed the wise, God-Acknowledging words of our Founding Father, George Washington, who in his 10/03/1789 "Proclamation - Day of National Thanksgiving," stated, "Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor..."

Or did we just stuff our faces with turkey and head out the door to be first in line for the Friday Sales?

We came to this land and fought for our Freedoms, including the freedom not "from" religion but "of" religion. Whatever your faith, heed the words of those who fought for and founded this country and acknowledge that this country was founded on the belief in God. Be Respectful. Give Thanks.

George Washington was a great man. However, like all great men, he was not without his flaws. One of them was the belief in an invisible sky fairy who would magically grant you a wish if you begged it hard enough.

So no, an acknowledgment of the fairy was not part of the Thanksgiving festivities at my house. We spent more time wondering how any person could believe in a "God" when presented with Exhibit A: Matt Millen having a job as GM of the Lions for 7 years.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:31 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,728,515 times
A lot of people tend to forget the Free Exercise Clause that allows us to choose our religion. However, it goes hand in hand with the Establishment Clause that the gov't shouldn't be involved.

This was Washington's personal belief so it is acceptable.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:31 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I just stuffed my face with turkey. While I respect the founding fathers for what they are, I don't think we need to be clones or share brains or anything.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:34 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,982,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post

You're confused.

The Constitution doesn't say anything about "freeedom of religion"....that's what right wing Christians are hoping to trick people with.

Here is what the Constitution reads.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion".

Now did you read that?

Because courts have used this clause to rule that government resources cannot be used to further your fairy tales.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:36 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
"Did Everyone Heed the Words of George Washington & "acknowledge the providence of Almighty God..."???"

Nope.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
George Washington was a great man. However, like all great men, he was not without his flaws. One of them was the belief in an invisible sky fairy who would magically grant you a wish if you begged it hard enough.

So no, an acknowledgment of the fairy was not part of the Thanksgiving festivities at my house. We spent more time wondering how any person could believe in a "God" when presented with Exhibit A: Matt Millen having a job as GM of the Lions for 7 years.
Sorry you have such a juvenile understanding of a belief in God. Hope you enjoyed the game.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:39 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,982,506 times
1796 Treaty of Tripoli ...ratified by the US Senate.

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries

Old 12-01-2010, 08:41 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,728,515 times
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

The second part deals with the freedom to practice whatever religion one chooses

Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You're confused.

The Constitution doesn't say anything about "freeedom of religion"....that's what right wing Christians are hoping to trick people with.

Here is what the Constitution reads.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion".

Now did you read that?

Because courts have used this clause to rule that government resources cannot be used to further your fairy tales.
You sound so angry! Where in my post did I ask for government funding for what you call "fairy tales?" I agree. The worst thing in the world would be for the government to establish a religion. That is exactly what we sought freedom from. But it is clear that our country was founded with a belief in God. We are free to choose any religion we want or no religion. But, what has made our country great is an underlying faith in God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies