Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:34 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Without those checks there might be a lot more drunken drivers and thus fatalities. I assume if your kid were killed by such a driver you would be pretty pissed...
Punish the consequence, not the action.

There are already laws on the books to punish for vehicular homicide. When someone drinks 4 beers and would otherwise make it home safe without injury to anyone, and are arrested at a checkpoint because a little box says they have had one to many, well, thats over the line.

They have lowered the legal limit to the point where I can't have two beers and drive legally, and I'm not even slightly drunk after two beers.

United States of America = Nanny state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 09:37 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that DUI checkpoints are unconstitutional. Nevertheless, I don't drink more than a beer or two if I know that I have to drive. It's not worth the risk anymore.
I most certainly think they're unconstitutional. Law enforcement shouldn't be able to molest anybody without proof of wrongdoing or reasonable suspicion.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:39 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,961 times
Default That's not what some police and experts say...

Quote:
Without those checks there might be a lot more drunken drivers and thus fatalities. I assume if your kid were killed by such a driver you would be pretty pissed...
Actually road stops are more of a public relations ploy to show that the police are doing something about drunks (and keeping the people who support MADD with 51 million dollars per year and 600 chapters happy) rather than an effective means to deter drunk driving. see this:DUI BLOG: Are DUI Roadblocks Effective?

As this shows, you would think that the 10 states that don't allow checkpoints should have the highest level of drunk driving, if checkpoints were effective. However, it turns out that of the 5 states with the highest levels of drunk driving, 4 allow checkpoints.

You should also know that in the states where checkpoints are allowed, some require that the location of the checkpoint be announced to the public in advance.

Policemen I've known have told me that patrol is a much more effective way to catch drunks, and at least some of the experts support that conclusion.

If the misguided weren't so quick to give up our Constitutional rights over dubious programs like this, we'd live in a better place.

Unfortunately, too often, emotion and illogic rule public policy.

I don't think anyone should drive while impaired in any way, but I'd rather my local police, who are facing layoffs, were using their time on things that are actually effective, rather than window dressing to please a specific minority of misinformed, but well funded, do-gooders.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:40 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Punish the consequence, not the action.

There are already laws on the books to punish for vehicular homicide. When someone drinks 4 beers and would otherwise make it home safe without injury to anyone, and are arrested at a checkpoint because a little box says they have had one to many, well, thats over the line.

They have lowered the legal limit to the point where I can't have two beers and drive legally, and I'm not even slightly drunk after two beers.

United States of America = Nanny state.
As you know most drunken people don't think they are drunken.
If people were not so stupid as to drink any alcohol before driving, there would not have to be such checks. They are the consequence of lots of injured and dead people.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:46 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Actually road stops are more of a public relations ploy to show that the police are doing something about drunks (and keeping the people who support MADD with 51 million dollars per year and 600 chapters happy) rather than an effective means to deter drunk driving. see this:DUI BLOG: Are DUI Roadblocks Effective?

As this shows, you would think that the 10 states that don't allow checkpoints should have the highest level of drunk driving, if checkpoints were effective. However, it turns out that of the 5 states with the highest levels of drunk driving, 4 allow checkpoints.

You should also know that in the states where checkpoints are allowed, some require that the location of the checkpoint be announced to the public in advance.

Policemen I've known have told me that patrol is a much more effective way to catch drunks, and at least some of the experts support that conclusion.

If the misguided weren't so quick to give up our Constitutional rights over dubious programs like this, we'd live in a better place.

Unfortunately, too often, emotion and illogic rule public policy.

I don't think anyone should drive while impaired in any way, but I'd rather my local police, who are facing layoffs, were using their time on things that are actually effective, rather than window dressing to please a specific minority of misinformed, but well funded, do-gooders.
Sorry if I don't trust your site, which it seems is explicitly against those checks.
Anyway, I don't care too much if drivers are checked at checkpoints or by patrol, as long as they are checked.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:56 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,054,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Why does someone drink a beer at the end of the day?

I generally don't smoke, I either vaporize and/or eat it. I make cannabutter and make baked goods with that.

I don't partake everyday, but most days.

The medical reasons for me would be, restless leg syndrome (anyone who tells you its made up don't know what the hell they are talking about), migraines, and to help me sleep at night. I go more than a week with having anything I can't sleep. I go for two weeks and I can't sleep because it feels like someone took my extensor hallucis longus tendon and wrapped their finger in it, tightens it, and pulls it halfway up my leg. It hurts, and when you have a job that requires you to drive long distances, you need some relief. I don't know if doctors medications would work on that, but I'd rather take something natural with no side effects than to take some man made crap.

I went from having about 20 migraines a year on medication to 2.

If my state would legalize for medicinal use, I'd be the first to get a prescription.

I generally don't buy from anyone, I grow a small bit on my own.
I think this is main reason for pot to remain illegal. Many people would find relief at a cheaper and less dangerous price than most prescription drugs. Big Pharma would not want that to happen now would they?

Old 12-06-2010, 10:47 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
As you know most drunken people don't think they are drunken.
If people were not so stupid as to drink any alcohol before driving, there would not have to be such checks. They are the consequence of lots of injured and dead people.
Thats the people who get blasted that can't make a good decision.

People drink and drive everyday, but we don't hear about the ones who don't have accidents.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:50 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
Normally I would say legalize it. However recently I have reconsidered because of whats happening in Mexico with the drug lords and there small wars against local citizens and police.
I haven't really examined it but I don't want any legal money going to these drug lords. If that issue is addressed then I will revert back to legalization.
If a person has home grown that's cool and all but how do you show where it came from?
If you give them legal money then they can be sued in open court for the damages that they are doing.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:54 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Legalize drugs and the Mexican cartels suddenly disappear and stop killing people, all the gangs in the us stop selling drugs and go out and get respectable jobs. All the drug related crime suddenly drys up because now they are legal and taxed.
All the drug dealers are now making a legal buck so ya it should take the fun out of the illegal drug trade.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:13 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Of course I would be pissed, however; I agree with Memphis and Beaconowner on the issue of checkpoints. Punish the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies