Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:10 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times

Advertisements

The good folks at Monty Python have beat us all to the punch. In their movie "The Meaning of Life" there is a sketch where a women (played in drag) has signed and forgot about a form donating her liver and is surprised when the organ collectors show up to take it. A highlight of the sketch is a song about the insignificance of man in the this Expanding and Amazing Universe.
\
" Lets hope there's intelligent life somewhere out in space because there's bugger all down here on Earth!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 10:18 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,681 times
Also the new movie Repo Men, taking organs back from people who cant pay their debt. My friends dad was pronounced dead after a car wreck, but he was brought back moments later somehow. If this was enacted i would think they would be a lot quicker to stop trying and pass it off. "one dies so others can live" Thats great unless im the one who dies.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Maybe that's all part and parcel of this new "you're an organ donor unless you opt out" program.

Instead of you volunteering your organs..everyone is automatically an organ donor and you have to opt out. Lord help the forgetful folks when their families show up and there's only bit and pieces left because "he forgot" to check that box.

Turn organ donation into an opt-out program instead of opt-in
Should Laws Push for Organ Donation? - NYTimes.com

"In a second measure, which is far more contentious, people would have to indicate in official documents — their driver’s licenses, most commonly — that they specifically don’t want to donate organs. If the box is not checked, it is presumed the person wants to donate."

Old 12-05-2010, 01:03 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
When you consider that 7,000 people die each year while waiting for an organ transplant and in recognition of the fact that period between death and a successful "harvesting" of donated organs are minutes not hours, it is a brilliant idea. If adequate protections are put in place, this could save thousands of lives every year.

By the way, those crying over being able to "trust the government" who would you trust more, a for profit hospital of a municipal department... never mind its a question for thinking folks only.
Not true when it was explained to us it was hours, calling the team in, the donator would have to go through several tests, etc. Hours, not minutes.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:21 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Well, it makes a lot of sense and it would save a lot of lives........but I don't think it will work.

When someone has a heart attack at home, people feel that the paramedics should keep working on them on the way to the hospital, where they feel there is better equipment to resussitate them and keep them alive. If they did indeed, die a few minutes before the ambulance arrives............how will you convince a family you did everything when they haven't even tried to bring them back with better equipment at the hospital? It's a fine line that only a medical professional could grasp.

Unless someone is found dead of a heart attack.........and the family knows they are dead before the first ambulance arrives, I don't see people accepting it. Plus........wouldn't the organs be "spoiled" in a case like this?

Now, here is something I have always thought should be done: Harvest the organs when criminals are put to death.

Instead of killing them with a lethal dose of drugs, just wheel them into an operating room, put them under anesthetic, harvest their organs and let them die that way.

People don't know where their transplant organs come from anyway, so the thought of getting a killer's organs shouldn't enter into it.

Forcing criminals that have killed someone, to give the gift of life to others, is as close as they will ever come to atoning for their crime here on this earth.

Every time I hear of someone executed, I always think, what a waste of good organs.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:11 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
It would be a good plot for a horror movie. They could have scenes of harvesting somebody who is still alive for a rush transplant job, rounding up the homeless, etc.

This already happens in other countries. There is quite the black market in Asia for human organs. People are kidnapped, cut open, and their organs stolen from them.

Think it can't happen here with as little value as is placed upon human life these days? Think again.

Slippery slope and corruption is nearly a guarantee when any government agency is involved. If this comes to pass anyone who has signed the back of their drivers licesne as an organ donor better think twice about going to NYC or any other municiplaity that allows such practices.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:06 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
The good folks at Monty Python have beat us all to the punch. In their movie "The Meaning of Life" there is a sketch where a women (played in drag) has signed and forgot about a form donating her liver and is surprised when the organ collectors show up to take it. A highlight of the sketch is a song about the insignificance of man in the this Expanding and Amazing Universe.
\
" Lets hope there's intelligent life somewhere out in space because there's bugger all down here on Earth!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tmLvzubP3I

"Oh, it goes towards saving lives, Madam."

Old 12-05-2010, 01:10 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
When you consider that 7,000 people die each year while waiting for an organ transplant and in recognition of the fact that period between death and a successful "harvesting" of donated organs are minutes not hours, it is a brilliant idea. If adequate protections are put in place, this could save thousands of lives every year.

By the way, those crying over being able to "trust the government" who would you trust more, a for profit hospital of a municipal department... never mind its a question for thinking folks only.
Well I don't know ..... is the for-profit hospital proposing they send out harvest teams? This brings up another question ..... will the teams have an MD with them? I thought only MDs were legally able to pronounce someone dead.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Gives a new meaning to "Ambulance chasers" doesn't it ?

Old 12-05-2010, 02:42 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Gives a new meaning to "Ambulance chasers" doesn't it ?
*Can you imagine a crew like "Mother, Jugs & Speed" doing these organ harvesting runs?

I'd like to encourage all Progressive liberals to turn over their drivers licenses and sign that organ donation line ASAP!

*(disclaimer: no distrespect to EMTs & Paramedics as I was one years ago)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies