Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Let the tax cuts expire?
No. Extend them all for 2 years 42 34.43%
Yes but only on $1 Million+ earners 42 34.43%
Yes, Let them ALL Expire and the ensuing Deflation will more than makeup for tax cut 38 31.15%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 06:31 AM

30,244 posts, read 18,805,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Let the Tax Cuts Expire?

------

Starve the pig. Cut taxes.

Our government has proven to be the most fiscally irresponsible body on the planet and needs to be cut off. If you had a child who foolishly spent any money provided to them for candy and toys, would you still given them more money?

Giving the feds more money will simply result in more irresponsible spending and will do nothing to reduce the debt. We need to see some fiscal responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 06:38 AM

24,813 posts, read 24,456,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Starve the pig. Cut taxes.

Our government has proven to be the most fiscally irresponsible body on the planet and needs to be cut off. If you had a child who foolishly spent any money provided to them for candy and toys, would you still given them more money?

Giving the feds more money will simply result in more irresponsible spending and will do nothing to reduce the debt. We need to see some fiscal responsibility.
Comparing one of the most complex government structures and national economies in the world to a child buying candy is well, a bad comparison.

If we have a cut in taxes, it should be accompanied by a cut in spending as well.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:45 AM

30,244 posts, read 18,805,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Comparing one of the most complex government structures and national economies in the world to a child buying candy is well, a bad comparison.

If we have a cut in taxes, it should be accompanied by a cut in spending as well.

I agree- spending cuts are necessary.

Our government is the irresponsible child, however, as they see an endless stream of revenue from the parents and no consequences to irresponsible spending. When there are no consequences, the behavior continues.

I really think that our legislators have become so detached and ingrained into the concept of massive spending that they are incapable of fiscal restraint any longer. The only way to cut spending is to markedly cut fiscal revenues.

Simple question- do you suppose that the government of Argentina spends $2.5 trillion per year? Why not? Well, I would guess that Argentina is not capable of generating such revenue through taxation or borrowing and has therefore had spending more in line with thier revenues. Do they still deficit spend? Of course- they are politicians.

Starve the pig.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:51 AM

24,813 posts, read 24,456,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I agree- spending cuts are necessary.

Our government is the irresponsible child, however, as they see an endless stream of revenue from the parents and no consequences to irresponsible spending. When there are no consequences, the behavior continues.

I really think that our legislators have become so detached and ingrained into the concept of massive spending that they are incapable of fiscal restraint any longer. The only way to cut spending is to markedly cut fiscal revenues.

Simple question- do you suppose that the government of Argentina spends $2.5 trillion per year? Why not? Well, I would guess that Argentina is not capable of generating such revenue through taxation or borrowing and has therefore had spending more in line with thier revenues. Do they still deficit spend? Of course- they are politicians.

Starve the pig.
Simply cutting taxes isn't starving the pig, it just puts the pig deeper into debt.

Thats what I'm saying.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:19 AM

37,823 posts, read 41,147,491 times
None of the above. Make them permanent.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:17 AM

401 posts, read 474,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am tired of this argument. Set up a system to eliminate taxes on any income below 150 k and tax the rest enough to run the government and pay off the debt in 10 years or so.
How much do YOU make a year? I bet its less than 150 k. Where did you come up with 150 k ?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:13 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,761,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I'm trying to understand why the Repubs didn't take the $1M compromise? Wasn't their argument, they didn't want to punish small businesses making "$250K" a year? Well what "small" business do you know makes over a $1M a year?? More importantly, they were screaming about passing this deficit to our children and grandchildren, yet they are pushing for these fiscal irresponsible policies.

What happened to common sense in this country? Back in the 50s, the marginal tax rate was 90% and now people are up in arms over going from 35% to like 40%, seriously?? You can't have it both ways GOP. Saying you want to fight wars and give tax cuts to millionaires (*cough) I mean "small" businesses and be for more continued tax cuts and scream about the deficit.

Common sense says, millionaires have enough money to spend right now. An extra $100k from tax savings isn't going to matter much when you are bringing in $10M+ a/yr. Now if they really want to get the economy going and consumer spending, give those at the bottom some extra money so they would be more willing to spend more. Speaking from experience these folks incomes have been stagnant for awhile or even cut (and a lot of lost jobs), but you want me to spend to boost the economy? How can I spend if I have no money to spend. Not rocket science people.

The Obama Administration should be ashamed of itself from caving in so quickly. I swear the Democrats have no backbone what so ever.
It's a good point. Logic seems to be missing in the GOP. The 250k limit I think was not the best idea because it hit too many small biz and upper middle class. But $1M+ , that exposed the GOP there. Someone making $10M is going to likely pour that extra few hundred thousand$ (spare cash) into hedge funds or other investments, that will most likely not benefit the US. If it's a hedge fund, it will then invest it globally. How does that help the US? Even worse, what if the hedge fund pushed oil or wheat prices higher as they all seem to be top-heavy investing in commodities and necessities, driving those prices higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies