Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Let the tax cuts expire?
No. Extend them all for 2 years 42 34.43%
Yes but only on $1 Million+ earners 42 34.43%
Yes, Let them ALL Expire and the ensuing Deflation will more than makeup for tax cut 38 31.15%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 02:37 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,361,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I'd say paying NOTHING is quite a "break" for half the people in this country wouldn't you?
I wouldn't trade my life for theirs.....would you, if it's such a big break?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 03:12 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,352,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
100% agree with every bit of this. Spot on! This is utter, cockamamie, lying, bulldung crap.

Republicans skirted the PAYGO rules to pass this tax cut by setting it to expire automatically in 10 years. That means:

A) Republicans are the ones responsible for this return to higher tax rates at this date.
B) Republicans played games with our economy by not bothering to PAY FOR these tax cuts in the first place, which is one of the myriad reasons we ended up with a massive recession during their reign.

Have you looked up the money the dems have spent lately and the tripling of our debt? And you have the nerve to say the reps were playing games.
How are we going to pay for the debt your party of no is laying on us?
I am sure you know how they are going to pay for all this spending right?

Or do they have a plan?
( I know, I will have to answer for you, its called a tax hike. The idiot dems never thought the American people would kick them to the curb for causing 2 recessions on their watch the last four years. They got fooled.

The dems thought they were going to control congress for years and were sitting back waiting to screw over ALL working Americans with a huge tax hike.

C) The Democrats were under no obligation whatsoever to "address this" at any point in time. They could easily have just ignored the entire issue and allowed the Republicans' deadline to come and go with no action.

Sorry but they are totally responsible to look ahead and tackle upcoming issues. It is their job and they failed us all.

D) See A. No it's not. Taking a passive stance and doing nothing, allowing an existing law to progress as intended by the original actors, is nothing like the inverse of taking action to make something happen.

Not semantics. Not even close.
So are you for or against making these PERMANENT tax cuts?

Once you answer me I will explain how things work.

The dems have had 4 years to tackle this issue and skirted it all the way.

Face it, your party of NO could have tackled this when they had total control and you know it. Instead they waited it out to make it a political tool that has backfired on them.

So when the tax cuts expire the dems will have screwed over millions of Americans by working on food safety programs instead of finding ways to keep the tax cuts for those who need it.

When the majority of Americans get a tax hike come January it will be the real party of hell no, the DEMnoCRATS who would be at fault for sure.

Lets see what the dems will do before the end of the year.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:35 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,468,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

So are you for or against making these PERMANENT tax cuts?
I'm against making them permanent for anyone.
Quote:

Once you answer me I will explain how things work.
Don't condescend to me. When I see you do something other than spout talking points, and you can make a cogent argument using your own words, I'll consider maybe giving a damn what you have to say.
Quote:

The dems have had 4 years to tackle this issue and skirted it all the way.

Face it, your party of NO could have tackled this when they had total control and you know it. Instead they waited it out to make it a political tool that has backfired on them.
What part of 'the Democrats had NO OBLIGATION to tackle this issue, address this issue or do diddly-squat about this issue, EVER' do you not understand?

Republicans set this up to expire at the end of this year. This is how it was meant to happen. And Republicans did that because it was the only way they could pass these tax cuts WITHOUT HAVING TO PAY FOR THEM.

Well, the chicken has come home to roost. This is not the Democrats' issue to "tackle".

But now that they are trying to do something about it, even offering a HUGE compromise to get it done, once again it's the Party of NO, the Republicans, who would rather see the middle class be burdened with higher tax rates during the recession that they created, than even consider making millionaires pay the rates they were previously paying.
Quote:

So when the tax cuts expire the dems will have screwed over millions of Americans by working on food safety programs instead of finding ways to keep the tax cuts for those who need it.
This is exactly what I was talking about above. Talking Point, Talking Point, Talking Point. And a LYING Talking Point at that.

When the tax cuts expire for everyone, it's the Republicans who will have screwed over millions of Americans by pandering to their donor base instead of the "Real Americans" they claim to represent.
Quote:

When the majority of Americans get a tax hike come January it will be the real party of hell no, the DEMnoCRATS who would be at fault for sure.
Bzzzzt. Even Republicans and other conservatives recognize the truth that it is the Republicans who are preventing the middle class from having their lower tax rates extended by refusing to compromise.
Quote:

Lets see what the dems will do before the end of the year.
I hope to G-d they let the Republicans' dirty dealing cause the tax cuts to expire for everyone, and prove once and for all who the Republicans really represent. And it ain't the middle class.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:19 PM

20,696 posts, read 12,593,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I don't consider seniors over 65 to be dead weight. They supported and paid for the foundations of our country for the better part of 50 years. As soon as we get one generation considering their parents and grandparents as "dead weight" we are doomed as a nation.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:25 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,999,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Since billions of our tax dollars are going overseas and billions more wasted or stolen, any ability to stop giving this corrupt government more tax dollars to throw away is the right thing to do.
dcsldcd !!! ... Exactly Right !

Indeed ... Keep as much hard earned tax dollars as possible out of the greedy wittle hands of this exceedingly foolish and wasteful WH Crew !

The HO "Nightmare" blunders on !

Thanks Y"ALL / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 12-05-2010, 06:05 PM

7 posts, read 11,665 times
I say, let them expire for everyone. Then we can work hard at getting rid of the deficit.... AGAIN... Then, when the debt is paid off we can have tax cuts if we choose OR we can have more social programs. I think our govt should be required to have every dollar it spends. It should be a law. Even getting rid of the tax cuts won't raise taxes back to what it once was. There was a time when the rich were paying much, much, more.

I do, however, believe estate tax should should never come back. That's a dirty business.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:19 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,579,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Disgusting isn't it? The democrats compromised to extend tax cuts to 99.5% of all americans but the right wouldn't agree. This is case in point the right don't give a rats ass about anyone except their elite cronies and will bring down civilization as we know it unless they can keep feeding their masters. This is a perfect example of why nothing has been getting done the past two years. Democrats compromise, republicans say "NO" Democrats reach across the isle, the right slap their hand away. Unless you are one of those elitists or have mental problems, there is absolutely no reason to support the fascist right.
the last 2 years democrats had complete control, they could have pass a law to let the tax cuts expire but choose not to.Obama care pass without any help from a republican.they could have done the same thing with Bush the tax cuts. but no the communist party decided to tackle the great big food problem we have here in America,as if we had one. the democrats and all those that support that party have become nothing but parasites to the rich.eventually the rich will disappear then where will the parasites get their freebies from.thhey will start burning thier own cities,deamanding their freebies.feel sorry for those people that depand on the government!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:33 PM

31,298 posts, read 20,824,695 times
This is a tax INCREASE. It's not a tax cut.

Congress should not increase our taxes on January 1.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:35 PM

31,298 posts, read 20,824,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama23g1b View Post
I say, let them expire for everyone. Then we can work hard at getting rid of the deficit.... AGAIN... Then, when the debt is paid off we can have tax cuts if we choose OR we can have more social programs. I think our govt should be required to have every dollar it spends. It should be a law. Even getting rid of the tax cuts won't raise taxes back to what it once was. There was a time when the rich were paying much, much, more.

I do, however, believe estate tax should should never come back. That's a dirty business.

We can get rid of the deficit by cutting government spending. We should cut government spending by 30 - 50 %

Old 12-05-2010, 08:35 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,351,409 times
I don't have a problem asking those in the $1M+/year category to pay a little more in taxes, but now is not the right time to be imposing tax hikes on anyone. Extend them all for two years and then let the cuts expire for those in the $1M+ category once we get some recovery under way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies