Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:15 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,649,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
Yeah, the few who make comments about all unemployed people being lazy or how there are plenty of jobs out there are basically those who have no clue what is really going on in the economy. What bothers me is the fact that some employers are discriminating against the unemployed
Unfortunately to a certain extent this was true even before the current recession. It's always been easier to get a job if you already have one - employers see the currently employed as more desirable just like women see men who have wives or girlfriends already as more desirable than those who are unattached.

However in the current climate this is really unforgivable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 11:16 AM

269 posts, read 711,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
NO YOU DONT

in NJ you pay a .01% surcharge to THE STATE, has NOTHING to due with FEDERAL unemployment
The hell it doesn't!

"NJ SUI" (State Unemployment Insurance) is the exact term used to identify the deduction from my gross pay that has appeared on each and every one of my effing pay stubs since 1984!

Old 12-15-2010, 11:59 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,033,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
OK, please NOTE TO EVERYONE:

The currently unemployed ARE TAXPAYERS...

GOT THAT EVERYBODY!!!!!

THEY HAVE PAID TAXES AND WILL AGAIN.

YOU might lose YOUR job..NONE are secure and you WILL collect unemployment rather than lose your home or let your family freeze to death or starve...or end up in a shelter..

I pay taxes so Halliburton can make a profit with Bush's fake war in the Middle east....I don't like it, there is nothing I can do about it..

I paid taxes to bail out the Repub Gods, The Wealthy...I didn't like it but I had no choice..

I have NO children but I have paid taxes for 45 years to educate OTHER people's way-too-numerous kids.

That's our bloody SYSTEM...you pay taxes for things you WANT and things SOMEBODY ELSE WANTS....it's the way it works.

Hate your average American unemployed neighbor? Well then just keep dumping on them ....stir up hate for no reason other than that it's easier than going after anyone "above" you..., stir up hatred towards middle class Americans...your god, The Wealthy, will not thank you for helping them out

There should not be any shame attached to unemployment or welfare if it is used for it's intended purpose. Welfare has a bad rep because it has become a way of life for so many that NEVER worked. Welfare was originally suppose to be used, exactly for times like this: when there simply was not enough jobs for our citizens.

I think if your on unemployment compensation, hovering at two years - you should be on welfare, not extended unemployment. They should just kick out the folks who have NEVER worked, and make room for the ones that are really entitled - the working folks of America that can not get a job, because there simply are not jobs to be had.

And yes, folks on unemployment compensation are
tax payers, a lot of them, most of their adult life.
While the same can not be said about most of our
past welfare recipients.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:11 PM

32,833 posts, read 19,534,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherLeeds13 View Post
The hell it doesn't!

"NJ SUI" (State Unemployment Insurance) is the exact term used to identify the deduction from my gross pay that has appeared on each and every one of my effing pay stubs since 1984!
as YOU, YOURSELF just proved...State Unemployment Insurance.....it has NOTHING to do with FEDERAL

Old 12-17-2010, 12:09 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,074,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
True story: I recently decided to relocate back to Seattle, a city I lived in some time ago. I sent out 10 resumes over a weekend (keep in mind that I was not local, and my resume stated as much). By the end of that week, I had SIX offers. Six.

So how is it that you can go 2 years without being able to find ONE employer willing to bring you on, yet I can go less than a week and find half a dozen who are willing to ignore the fact that I didn't even live in the area?
Out of curiosity, what is your educational and vocational background? It sounds like you're either in a very hot field or a field where experience is heavily valued.

Quote:
I'm sure it was all luck . Here's a cold hard reality: There are jobs out there. The catch is, there are no jobs that require no skill. You have to have a skill in order to work. And no, if your job can be farmed out to an illiterate 10 year old Chinese boy or an Indian call center, you don' thave a skill.
There are a great many people who do have college education and skills who cannot find jobs in their fields. For example, we have a huge oversupply of PhD. scientists in this country who end up working 2-3 year low-wage gypsy scientist positions called postdoctorates until they eventually wash out of the field. (Your average layperson is completely unaware of that, though.)

It's not merely enough to have skills, but also to have skills in a field that is not heavily glutted.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Its sad how Americans so quickly turn on fellow Americans.
Sad, but not surprising. We are a nation of short-sighted people who bought into free market dogma and adopted it as a religion. Consequently, we've sent millions of our fellow citizens' jobs to China, India, and Mexico, imported hundreds of thousands of foreigners on H-1B and L-1 visas to displace Americans domestically from often knowledge-based college-education-requiring jobs, and imported tens of millions of impoverished immigrants to put downward pressure on wages for the lower classes and to displace them from their jobs. Thus, it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that we have a huge amount of unemployment and underemployment in this country.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobums View Post
Please know that some of that resentement comes from people who are self employed, run their own business & pay through the nose for all kind of taxes.
It's a shame that they're taking it out on the unemployed and not our politicians and economic policies that are responsible for this mess.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:35 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,891,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
All well and good, but given the basic costs of shelter, utilities and food etc there is a floor on how well (or even IF) one can survive on less than half your former wage.
This typical argument is inaccurate. Give me the name of any metro area in the United States, and I will find a low cost place to live in a safe area for someone on minimum wage.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:34 PM

14 posts, read 29,454 times
welfare and unemployment benefits shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.unemployment is for tax paying decent citizens who lost there jobs.welfare is for non working leeches who have kids to reap the many benefits and multi-generational lifestyle.it has killed our inner cities and bankrupted California.produced unwanted abused kids,our gang and prison population is the biggest in the world,all from kids of welfare dirtbags.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:31 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,854,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
This typical argument is inaccurate. Give me the name of any metro area in the United States, and I will find a low cost place to live in a safe area for someone on minimum wage.
You're not taking into account that someone may already HAVE committments based on their former wage/salary - ie., if you already HAVE a mortgage what point is there knowing where in your city it's possible to rent a cheap room?

I never SAID mimum wage did I? I said less than half what you were formerly earning - but whatever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies