Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 07:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

Here in the Northeast US older people like me and my wife are facing heating bills high enough to force a rearrangement of our budget. I am still employed at a decent salary and can afford the electric bill if we cut other expenses. I do not know how our impoverished in the North country, unemployed by paper mill closings, are going to get through what looks like a very cold winter in New Hampshire, USA.

The problem in Britain is not created by the leftist government's desire to help everyone but by the rightist governments worship at the Great Hall of Greed where everyone can be equally robbed by the privileged. Mooseketeer accurately described the problem. Capitalism is not the cause but capitalists willing to destroy any semblance of a free market certainly are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 07:55 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Ummm.....I don't think it was the "liberals" who were threatening to cut off unemployment checks and force a tax hike on the middle class to preserve tax cuts for the wealthy just as winter is beginning. I don't think it was the "liberals" who gave us NAFTA, CAFTA and other "free trade" agreements which allowed our jobs to go overseas, forcing more and more American's onto government assistance and THEN threaten to cut it all off, leaving them at the mercy of cold weather.
Actually it was liberals who gave us NAFTA (Clinton to be exact) and the other ones I'm not even going to bother with since you completely missed the point. Liberals indeed threatened to cut off unemployment checks and force the tax hikes.. They are the ones who A) refused to pay for the unemployment checks.. Which has me wondering why anyone would support such foolishness and B) liberals are the ones not supporting tax cuts.. To pretend it was the GOP is just silly...

Old 12-07-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
What you fail to mention is that millions of Americans will be calling their utility companies this winter seeking payment arrangements to keep their utilities on.
How does a contract between two individuals change this? (That is what a payment arrangement is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
You also fail to mention that if unemployment benefits aren't extended here in the United States many people will be in similar predicaments as those in England.
Topic isnt unemployment benefits in the USA, I find the changing of the topic to be laughable, especially considering you give me another chance to remind everyone that DEMOCRATS are the ones not wanting to pay for them..

Old 12-07-2010, 08:03 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,931 times
The Euros live longer and healthier lives than we do:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2102rank.html

The US is 49th in life expectancy behind Italy, Spain, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Norway, Iceland and yes the UK. One in 8 Americans is on food stamps.

But don't worry the Reps will lower taxes on inheritances so that makes it all worthwhile!

Old 12-07-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
The Euros live longer and healthier lives than we do:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2102rank.html

The US is 49th in life expectancy behind Italy, Spain, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Norway, Iceland and yes the UK. One in 8 Americans is on food stamps.

But don't worry the Reps will lower taxes on inheritances so that makes it all worthwhile!
Haha, are you seriously trying to blame food stamps on the GOP? I thought we hated the poor and wanted them all to die, now you are blaming us for giving people money so they can "feed the children".. oooh no.. why would we do such a thing

p.s. US is ranked #7 for QUALITY of life.. I guess you guys care about substance over quality. I'd rather live a quality life over a longer miserable one anyday of the week..

Old 12-07-2010, 08:09 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
"Europe.. People cant even afford heat.. And you liberals want us to be just like them.."

Looks like Britain is working very hard to be more like us.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:14 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Haha, are you seriously trying to blame food stamps on the GOP? I thought we hated the poor and wanted them all to die, now you are blaming us for giving people money so they can "feed the children".. oooh no.. why would we do such a thing

p.s. US is ranked #7 for QUALITY of life.. I guess you guys care about substance over quality. I'd rather live a quality life over a longer miserable one anyday of the week..
Of course I blame food stamps on the GOP. People are resorting to food stamps because the Reps raped the economy so the very top 1% could buy a few more homes. They hand out a few crumbs so as to keep the masses happy and voting for the oligarchs.

FYI, if the US is allegedly 7th in quality of life that's because we rank behind five European countries:

2010 Quality of Life Index: 194 Countries Ranked and Rated to Reveal the Best Places to Live – International Living

Old 12-07-2010, 08:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
It's been much colder/snowier than normal here, but in almost any country you'd get some people who struggle to pay their heating/electric bills. That newspaper is making a mountain out of a molehill as usual.
That's what I think. I freak out if my electric bill hits $75 and I'd rather wear some warm clothes in the house than listen to the furnace turn on every few minutes.

Even if temperatures drop into the 20's at night, if you wear some clothes and sleep with a few blankets, you won't freeze to death. I even know people who go camping in tents when the temperatures drop into the 20's.

How did people ever do it back in the days of no electricity and government paying the heating bills?

Old 12-07-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Of course I blame food stamps on the GOP. People are resorting to food stamps because the Reps raped the economy so the very top 1% could buy a few more homes. They hand out a few crumbs so as to keep the masses happy and voting for the oligarchs.
All I can say is
Would this raping of the economy include those 10,200,000 new jobs which took place after the Bush 2003 tax cuts? How exactly does people buying more homes rape the economy while we are discussing it? I thought this created tax revenues for schools, jobs for construction, etc.. And here I am finding out from you that building homes rapes the economy. Tell me, are you living under a bridge? I'd hate to think you helped to contribute to the raping of the economy
Quote:
FYI, if the US is allegedly 7th in quality of life that's because we rank behind five European countries:

2010 Quality of Life Index: 194 Countries Ranked and Rated to Reveal the Best Places to Live – International Living
As opposed to who? Mexico? Who else is left to compare us agains? You do understand that with 194 countries ranked and we are #7, this leaves 187 countries after us, many of them are also European countries as well But hey, thats just "allegedly" after all. How mighty nice of you to determine whats accurate, and whats just "alleged"..

Old 12-07-2010, 08:27 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually it was liberals who gave us NAFTA (Clinton to be exact) and the other ones I'm not even going to bother with since you completely missed the point. Liberals indeed threatened to cut off unemployment checks and force the tax hikes.. They are the ones who A) refused to pay for the unemployment checks.. Which has me wondering why anyone would support such foolishness and B) liberals are the ones not supporting tax cuts.. To pretend it was the GOP is just silly...
Actually, no, it wasn't. Why do people keep repeating this lie?

"NAFTA was signed by President George H.W. Bush, Mexican President Salinas, and Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney in 1992."

History of NAFTA - Purpose of NAFTA - Facts About NAFTA

It is extremely unfortunate that people are suffering in the UK, however, people are suffering here too due to years of neglect by their elected officials (R and D) who only have ears for their lobbyists and anyone else with deep pockets.
Historically it has been the liberals who want to maintain the safety nets and the cons who want to dismantle them and all we hear from those who want the wealthy to keep living off those who do the actual work is it is the sufferers' fault if they didn't put away for that rainy, or in this case, bitterly cold day.
I find this sudden concern for this population highly suspect and, frankly, nothing more than a hypocritical attempt to score points on someone else's misery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies