Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:41 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,877,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
All I can say is
Would this raping of the economy include those 10,200,000 new jobs which took place after the Bush 2003 tax cuts? How exactly does people buying more homes rape the economy while we are discussing it? I thought this created tax revenues for schools, jobs for construction, etc.. And here I am finding out from you that building homes rapes the economy. Tell me, are you living under a bridge? I'd hate to think you helped to contribute to the raping of the economy

As opposed to who? Mexico? Who else is left to compare us agains? You do understand that with 194 countries ranked and we are #7, this leaves 187 countries after us, many of them are also European countries as well But hey, thats just "allegedly" after all. How mighty nice of you to determine whats accurate, and whats just "alleged"..
The Bush tax cuts have led us to the worse economy since the Great Depression. Your whole point is that we shouldn't live like Europe. As I've pointed out many European countries outrank us on very important factors including life expectancy and quality of life.

Color me unimpressed with the ranting assertions in your OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,211,930 times
Americans that live in poverty and can't afford health insurance, heat, food, are seldom mentioned in the US media.
It's always easier to point out the shortcomings in other countries but not in ones own.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:50 AM

17,648 posts, read 14,784,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
People over the age of 60 in the UK receive a winter fuel payment of almost $500 towards heating bills every year so I am not quite sure how this piece of "news" can really be relied upon to be honest. ( Those bloody "liberals" helping the elderly so they don't freeze, what a terrible thing indeed...)

How many millions of Americans do you think cannot afford their fuel bills every year considering that so many can't even afford healthcare ? Mmmmmmmmm.... I wonder which country I would rather be poor in. If you think America has no poverty , think again and grow up. Having lived and travelled in the US on a regular basis ( I have been to every single State bar Arkansas and Nebraska) I have seen poverty which made my eyes water. Some parts of the US feel more like a developing country than the so called richest nation on the planet.

Europe has its fair share of social deprivation and social ills but please let's not be intellectually disingenuous here and claim that America does better. This would be hilarious if it wasn't so tragic.

The vast majority of Europeans will agree that being poor is a lot easier in Europe than in the US. At least we have a decent social net, and the concept of taxes is not seen as some terrible ploy to rob people of their money but an accepted part of living in a society so that those who are vulnerable can at least access medical healthcare, housing and education.

Don't worry though, your wish is coming true and the bloody liberals are in a minority in Europe, most countries have been led by right wing leaders for years and look where it's getting us...

The new UK government is doing a brilliant job of dismantling the country and ensuring only the wealthy can benefit.

That's because they've never been poor in America - and if they had, I'm sure they'd prefer being poor in the US.

The average poor America has more living space than the average (not poor - just average) citizen living is Paris, London and other cities in Europe. Almost 75% own a car, 97% own a color tv and 76% have air conditioning.

Only a very, very small portion of poor households in this country have severe housing problems - and you know what the biggest severe problem is? Sharing another bathroom with residents of another property.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:00 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,592,515 times
Quote:
What I found odd about the story, was people complaining that they had to spend 10% of their monthly income on utilities.. Maybe its just me, but I spend more than that..
Then maybe we should be more like those areas you bemoan so much.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:03 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,825,613 times
Quote:
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Britain is freezing to death

This is the country you liberals want us to be just like?
[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]
It is a sad thing.

Copying the US economic setup got the UK into the same mess as the US. All the UPIGS countries got into the same mess from that.

Perhaps with a decade of frugality and hard work, the UK will manage to get out of the American Way and start perfroming again, but more likely, it'll stay an underperforming country along with its mentor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's kind of a weird article - it's counting traffic accidents as cold related deaths.
It is the Express. It'll also count traffic deaths against the number of alien abductions. The rater large county of Nottinghamshire reported all of seven deaths, so I'd take the News of the World number with a pinch of salt:

BBC News - Nottinghamshire's coroner warns about cold deaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I didn't think it ever got really all that cold in England, not cold enough that people would freeze to death if they wore thick sweaters and socks indoors.
Normally it doesn't. That is the real problem, the country has been hit with a type of weather outside what it is noramlly prepared for. Although given its geographical position, it wouldn't hurt the UK to prepare a bit more for winter weather. Imagine if they got a 47 style winter again!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:16 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,215,817 times
What is this, the ministry of propaganda?

I love this opening line.

Europe.. People cant even afford heat.. And you liberals want us to be just like them..

~~~~ E U R O P E ~~~~

All of Europe is freezing to death or perhaps it was just the UK or some isolated town or perhaps the Brits have a completely failed system, but all of Europe?
HAHAHAHAHA

Anyone can play this game.

America has near 30% unemployment rate as record numbers of newly homeless flooding shelters that are operating at capacity

Rush Limbaugh uses desperation in Detroit to criticize President Obama, stimulus program | MLive.com

Hell I can even pull a direct quote and apply it to whatever context I desire
Quote:
columnist Daniel Howes suggested the scene defined "a deep-seated culture of expectation and entitlement"
It's clear that American's are a lazy and dependent nation too chicken chit to get off their backsides and that they would rather suckle off the government teat.

Heck, local governments are opening up tent cities and Hoovervilles because American has completely went down the tubes. The entire nation is so poor that millions are begging in the streets from other beggars.

The Seattle Times’ 180 on Tent City | PubliCola - Seattle's News Elixir
Quote:
Confidence that a city-sponsored encampment would work is built upon the success of the Tent City efforts. They are an imperfect answer to chronic homelessness, but Share/Wheel and sponsoring religious and civic organizations, and the Tent City residents themselves, have done a good job of management.
OMG... government "camps"!!! So the conspiracy theorist were right, they are making people poor and dependent so they can round them up in camps! Just like Stalin and just like Hitler!!

See how easy this game is, take an isolated area of the country, apply it to the WHOLE country if you wish, not that much different than taking an article about the UK and applying to all of a dozen or so completely different nations in all of Europe.

Bonus kudo's however for giving yourself a back door, as if your argument fails, you can always resort to "see record cold, global climate change is a hoax". Win win huh

So folks, do your best and take random often even factual bits of information then weave a web of mystical magical connections of how the example in one small place is a nationwide effort to take down the country.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 12-07-2010 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 12-07-2010, 09:16 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,147,859 times
Quote:
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Britain is freezing to death

[LEFT]MIDDLE class families are among millions of Britons who cannot afford to heat their homes this winter, as elderly ride on buses all day to stay in the warm.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]After a week of snow and freezing temperatures a shocking picture has emerged of the bleak months ahead for 5.5 million households.
Pensioners, who are among those most *vulnerable to the cold, are resorting to *extraordinary measures to keep warm.
Many have been using their free travel *passes to spend the day riding on buses while others are seeking refuge from the cold in libraries and shopping centres.

[LEFT]The winter death toll is set to rise steeply as official figures show that nine elderly people died every hour because of cold-related illnesses last year. The number of deaths linked to cold over the four months of last *winter reached nearly 28,000.

[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]
No, we don't.

But don't let that stop you and the rest of the right wing propaganda machine scaring your "base" by saying so.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:37 AM

565 posts, read 486,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
That's because they've never been poor in America - and if they had, I'm sure they'd prefer being poor in the US.
Another example of American exceptionalism.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:44 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,837,160 times
Quote:

MIDDLE class families are among millions of Britons who cannot afford to heat their homes this winter, as elderly ride on buses all day to stay in the warm.

After a week of snow and freezing temperatures a shocking picture has emerged of the bleak months ahead for 5.5 million households.
Pensioners, who are among those most *vulnerable to the cold, are resorting to *extraordinary measures to keep warm.
Many have been using their free travel *passes to spend the day riding on buses while others are seeking refuge from the cold in libraries and shopping centres.

The winter death toll is set to rise steeply as official figures show that nine elderly people died every hour because of cold-related illnesses last year. The number of deaths linked to cold over the four months of last *winter reached nearly 28,000.

Hilarious, this is the same crap Beck was spewing yesterday on his show

Old 12-07-2010, 09:47 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,147,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Hilarious, this is the same crap Beck was spewing yesterday on his show
Color me unsurprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies