Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 03:16 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Personally, I think I'll wait until they post this years report on their website so I can see HOW they arrived at their conclusions.

Y'all go ahead and get all outraged while I wait.
Exactly. I don't know what they did or how they did it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 03:51 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Well I am waiting to see how its all GWB's fault. Thats the standard excuse for any failings.
I want to read the report when its posted and see just what brought this result about.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:03 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
What's the rightwing answer to this?................ How would they raise the USA's ranking on this list?

Oh they would create laws making what journalists and wikileaks do illegal.

The would increase the powers of government to keep things secret.

They would punish those who publish government wrong doing if it happens to be "classified".

The USA is lower on the list because Americans are gullible enough and stupid enough to believe no principles are as important than the "war on terrorism"....That trumps everything.

Cry babies yell "terrorism" and you must give up your civil liberties.
If I was doing the rankings, I would put the US alongside Mexico in terms of corruption. We're just much better at hiding it while in Mexico the corruption is the in-your-face kind

Old 12-08-2010, 04:19 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
If I was doing the rankings, I would put the US alongside Mexico in terms of corruption. We're just much better at hiding it while in Mexico the corruption is the in-your-face kind
I respectfully disagree. I think it is shamefully in our faces.

John Boehner, who is set to be the new Republican speaker of the House of Representatives, is one of the most lobby-friendly politicians in Washington, located at the centre of a web of corporate cash and influence.
John Boehner's links to lobbyists could be the ***** in his political armour | World news | The Observer

A year after the biggest bailout in US history, Wall Street lobbyists don't just have influence in Washington. They own it lock, stock, and barrel.
Capital City | Mother Jones

Without Campaign Finance Reform the bribery is unrestrained and ever apparent.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:35 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
On the Transparency International site, it stated that many of the declines in position related to countries most tied into the global financial crisis which was caused by corruption and a lack of transparency. The US would be #1 in this category followed by Britain. No surprise that both have declined in their rankings (as has Greece for the same reason)

Old 12-08-2010, 04:41 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I respectfully disagree. I think it is shamefully in our faces.

John Boehner, who is set to be the new Republican speaker of the House of Representatives, is one of the most lobby-friendly politicians in Washington, located at the centre of a web of corporate cash and influence.
John Boehner's links to lobbyists could be the ***** in his political armour | World news | The Observer

A year after the biggest bailout in US history, Wall Street lobbyists don't just have influence in Washington. They own it lock, stock, and barrel.
Capital City | Mother Jones

Without Campaign Finance Reform the bribery is unrestrained and ever apparent.
Campaign finance reform will not do anything. It's simply sticking a bandage on a gunshot wound. Until people start acknowledging that our government is owned by the people that own JP Morgan & Chase, Goldman Sachs, the Federal Reserve, and other megabanks (notice how the US started it's censoring screams AFTER Assange said he has secret information on a huge US bank) no amount of "reform" will do any good. No reform has been good in the past. The past financial "reform" puts additional regulations especially on small businesses that can't afford it. Since you acknowledge that lobbyists own the District of Criminals, that means that HCR, financial reform, and the Food Safety Bill are tainted with corporate lobbyist corruption that benefit BIG MONEY, not the little guy like most liberals would like to believe. But yes you are right, DC is owned lock, stock and barrel by the lobbyists AND Big Money.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:50 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Campaign finance reform will not do anything. It's simply sticking a bandage on a gunshot wound. Until people start acknowledging that our government is owned by the people that own JP Morgan & Chase, Goldman Sachs, the Federal Reserve, and other megabanks (notice how the US started it's censoring screams AFTER Assange said he has secret information on a huge US bank) no amount of "reform" will do any good. No reform has been good in the past. The past financial "reform" puts additional regulations especially on small businesses that can't afford it. Since you acknowledge that lobbyists own the District of Criminals, that means that HCR, financial reform, and the Food Safety Bill are tainted with corporate lobbyist corruption that benefit BIG MONEY, not the little guy like most liberals would like to believe. But yes you are right, DC is owned lock, stock and barrel by the lobbyists AND Big Money.

You do know, don't you, that if you belong to just about any organization, from the NRA to the VFW to the Lions Club to the Masons to the Cattlemen's Association, YOU have lobbyist's in Washington too and YOUR lobbyist's are up there passing around donations and influencing legislation for YOU.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:52 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
On the Transparency International site, it stated that many of the declines in position related to countries most tied into the global financial crisis which was caused by corruption and a lack of transparency. The US would be #1 in this category followed by Britain. No surprise that both have declined in their rankings (as has Greece for the same reason)

All I see on their website is the 2009 report.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,364,522 times
We become more and more like the Third World every day, every hour

I am not even sure if we can be put in the same category as Europe and Japan as prosperous industrialized countries anymore...

Old 12-08-2010, 08:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt we just have hundreds of thousands of documents released showing the amount of corruption involved in our government?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies