Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 05:04 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,532,697 times

Advertisements

The old people deserve it. Forget those republican backing................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 05:30 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
The economy shrunk, tons of jobs lost, we are looking for ways to reduce government employees and the retirement pensions they bamboozled us with through the bought politicians.
I think the $250 is a gimmick to make hay for political reasons.

Old people should want to fire all the Democrats and Obama anyway.
Passed Obamacare to supposedly save money, now if you don't have insurance they will fine you up to $5000 and after AARP backed Obama, they also had to increase the cost of their insurance by 15% this year to deal with Obamacare. That right there is talking lots more dough than the $250.

Look at the $250 and be mad, but forget about the extra $6500 Democrats want to cost you?
It's a diversion IMO.
Yeah, like the taxes breaks for the upper echelon to be left in place. 80 billion costs over the next TWO years.

How about the estate taxes that got left in this tax break for the ultra rich?

Quote:
"More than 40,000 estates worth $1 million to $10 million would be expected to escape inheritance taxes next year under the deal struck by Republicans and President Barack Obama."
Quote:
Estate tax opponents got their wish this year, when the tax was temporarily repealed. But the tax holiday will be short-lived because, under current law, the estate tax is scheduled to return next year with a top rate of 55 percent for estates larger than $1 million for individuals and $2 million for married couples.
The package Obama negotiated would set the top rate at 35 percent and exempt the first $5 million of an individual's estate. Couples could exempt $10 million.
At those levels, the tax would affect just 0.14 percent of all estates in 2011, or about 3,500 estates, generating about $11.2 billion in revenue, according to an analysis by the Tax Policy Center, a Washington research group.
Under the current law, more than 44,000 estates are projected to be taxed next year based on the number of estate-holders in that value bracket who are likely to die. That would generate $34.4 billion in taxes.
Obama-GOP Deal Would Tax Only 3,500 Inheritances : NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=131914328 - broken link)

This is nuts!!! And to have people defend NOT paying seniors, many who live on LESS THAN $800/month, and defend PAYING the top 2% rich people is freaking nuts.

Breaks, breaks and more breaks for the ultra rich.

Six months...a year from now, remember this chant, folks.

"Where's the JOBS?"

Obama! What the ?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
More like, "Hows that kitty food, Grandma?"
hey now, cat food is quite nutritious.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:43 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
hey now, cat food is quite nutritious.
yes, pate and meatloaf are just 2 of the things I can think of to do with this versatile item!
My mom is 74, and does a lot of volunteer work with the elderly in Florida. She tells me that people really do live on that stuff.
How shameful is it that some elderly have come to that?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:45 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
After two consecutive years with no COLA increase the repubs blocked this $250.00 payment to seniors.

I'm a long way from SS, but thought I'd play devil's advocate, since there are probably quite a few retirees on this site.

GOP blocks legislation to award seniors $250 - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101208/ap_on_bi_ge/us_social_security_no_cola - broken link)
Haha, yesterday Democrats couldnt stop whining about how the Republicans increased the size of the deficit, today they ware whining for not increasing the deficit.

Tell me again why seniors should get a check? True they havent gotten a cost of living increase, but how is sending them $250 check fair? If the cost of living goes up, their Cost of living should go up.. If it doesnt go up then they dont..

Old 12-08-2010, 05:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Going after the seniors? Talk about a low blow, looks like "get a job grandma" is coming sooner than later.
Unlike the ability to get online and post non stop bs..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Hey all you seniors that fell for the rhetoric of the Republican candidates, how do you like your Republicans now?

Thats right. They will give tax breaks to the wealthy and rob from the senior citizens who live on a fixed income. I could have predicted this.
Will you liberals ever stop and be able to have an intelligent conversation like an adult? Not giving people a check is not robbing them..
Quote:
Here you go all you Senior citizens who voted Republican. This is the thanks you get and there will be more where this came from!

Citing hard times all over, Republicans block $250 bonus for senior citizens | cleveland.com
Tell me how taking money from these seniors grand children and cutting the seniors a check is helping? I'm glad they stopped the "bonus".. you guys were all here whining yesterday about Republicans adding to the debt.. btw, your link was from 2009, during Democratic control of the Congress
Quote:
How about letting the tax cuts expire for those making over one million per year? Republicans are more concerned about the extremely wealthy than for our senior citizens who must live on fixed incomes. What a way to wish them a Merry Christmas.
waaa, waaa. cuts cuts dont create deficits.. spending does.. Why dont you learn basic elementary math

Old 12-08-2010, 09:44 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
The economy shrunk, tons of jobs lost, we are looking for ways to reduce government employees and the retirement pensions they bamboozled us with through the bought politicians.
I think the $250 is a gimmick to make hay for political reasons.

Old people should want to fire all the Democrats and Obama anyway.
Passed Obamacare to supposedly save money, now if you don't have insurance they will fine you up to $5000 and after AARP backed Obama, they also had to increase the cost of their insurance by 15% this year to deal with Obamacare. That right there is talking lots more dough than the $250.

Look at the $250 and be mad, but forget about the extra $6500 Democrats want to cost you?
It's a diversion IMO.

Seniors and those with qualifying disablities (little things like blindness or kidney failure) don't have to worry about being fined because we already have health insurance. What do your think Medicare Part A and Part B are?

I actually support what Mitt Romney and Barack Obama have done to force parasites who could afford and get health insurance so they can quit stiffing our hospitals and doctors and pay for their freaking healthcare and quit plugging up our ERs.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
After two consecutive years with no COLA increase the repubs blocked this $250.00 payment to seniors.

I'm a long way from SS, but thought I'd play devil's advocate, since there are probably quite a few retirees on this site.

GOP blocks legislation to award seniors $250 - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101208/ap_on_bi_ge/us_social_security_no_cola - broken link)
Had Obama and the Democrats been concerned about the welfare of the elderly they would not have raided Medicare to the sum of a half billion to pay for Obamacare.

Nothing but manufactured outrage OP. Fail.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:56 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Seniors and those with qualifying disablities (little things like blindness or kidney failure) don't have to worry about being fined because we already have health insurance. What do your think Medicare Part A and Part B are?
You seem to think Medicare part A and B are free to seniors. They're not and their costs go up just like regular insurance does. If the Republicans think the cost of living benefit to seniors should be pay-as-go then so should the tax breaks for the wealthy.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:00 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
This extra $250 was probably budgeted to pay for Christmas for many seniors.
They didn't get it last year either, so I'm not sure why they counted on it if that's the case. I don't have a problem with them getting it, I just think it makes sense to figure out where you can make cuts to accomplish that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies