Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:10 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times

Advertisements

Let me see if I have this straight from the more extreme rightists on the board:

1) If you work for the government as firefighter, teacher, nurse, mailman or other necessary job you are not successful. If you inherit Wal Mart stock, run the economy into the ground as a banking CEO then you are a success. Ergo the mailman and the teacher really should shoulder the burdens of the economy because terrible things would happen if the billionaire had to pay more.

2) If you are job seeker who cannot find work in truly bad economy you are truly evil. You should be thrown out into the street and forced to repay every single cent you ever earned in employment. Because the real evil isn't the overfed CEO who underpays his workers or ships jobs to countries where they hire ten year olds. The real evil are the guys who want more than $5 an hour.

Call me a crazy liberal but no, I don't think that Lloyd Blankenfeld, CEO of Goldman Sachs is that much of a success no matter how much he's paid. I don't think success completely revolves around the money you make. I think a good teacher, a compassionate nurse, a firefighter who risks his life to save you from a burning building is far more successful than any overpaid CEO. I am sick to death of Republican hatred for the working class and their idiotic arguments otherwise. I am sick of hearing that unless you are one of the top 2% of earners in our society you are essentially worthless to our society.

The only thing worse than Obama's cowardice is Republican contempt. Worse their belief that we should borrow $900 million from China to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 05:10 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Don't blame me because your premise is defective. Get that right first.
No, my premise is just fine. Seeing as how the cuts were TEMPORARY, it's not actually a tax "increase" at all. It is a scheduled expiration of what amounts to a tax holiday.

See how that works? Now move along.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Let me see if I have this straight from the more extreme rightists on the board:

1) If you work for the government as firefighter, teacher, nurse, mailman or other necessary job you are not successful. If you inherit Wal Mart stock, run the economy into the ground as a banking CEO then you are a success. Ergo the mailman and the teacher really should shoulder the burdens of the economy because terrible things would happen if the billionaire had to pay more.

2) If you are job seeker who cannot find work in truly bad economy you are truly evil. You should be thrown out into the street and forced to repay every single cent you ever earned in employment. Because the real evil isn't the overfed CEO who underpays his workers or ships jobs to countries where they hire ten year olds. The real evil are the guys who want more than $5 an hour.

Call me a crazy liberal but no, I don't think that Lloyd Blankenfeld, CEO of Goldman Sachs is that much of a success no matter how much he's paid. I don't think success completely revolves around the money you make. I think a good teacher, a compassionate nurse, a firefighter who risks his life to save you from a burning building is far more successful than any overpaid CEO. I am sick to death of Republican hatred for the working class and their idiotic arguments otherwise. I am sick of hearing that unless you are one of the top 2% of earners in our society you are essentially worthless to our society.

The only thing worse than Obama's cowardice is Republican contempt.
My, that's a lovely strawman you've built there.

Anyone got a match?

Old 12-09-2010, 05:20 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
Quote:

The only thing worse than Obama's cowardice is Republican contempt. Worse their belief that we should borrow $900 million from China to pay for it.
1. I haven't heard anyone propose that the middle class pay MORE than the wealthy.

2. yes, jobs sent overseas is a problem. But, it is a total joke to think that extending unemployment benefits is a job creator. Seriously, that is not even close to the truth. We need to give the unemployed some incentive to work. Giving them free money does not do that.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:27 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:

1) First sentence is a false premise, thus the remainder fails.

2) First sentence is another false premise, thus the remainder fails.

Failed thread based on false premise. No one could take this seriously. Try again without the over dramatic sarcasm and falsehoods.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
1. I haven't heard anyone propose that the middle class pay MORE than the wealthy.

2. yes, jobs sent overseas is a problem. But, it is a total joke to think that extending unemployment benefits is a job creator. Seriously, that is not even close to the truth. We need to give the unemployed some incentive to work. Giving them free money does not do that.
As to point 2: You should see the difference in posts on my Facebook page from last month to this month.

Last month, not a day went by to where one of my friends on there wasn't boasting about taking some trip or going surfing or spending the day doing wine flights, etc. The term most of them were using was "Funemployment". Not 4 weeks ago there was a "Off to Rome for 2 weeks, hopefully I don't forget to 'apply' for some accounting jobs with my engineering degree lol. Funemployment rules!" They were yakkin' it up, loving every minute of it.

This month? The mood is definitively more morose amongst a great many of them. I'm seeing a lot more "Ugh, I gotta get dressed for another interview today, FML", or "GOD, I'm so sick of filling out applications, why can't they just read my resume? This sucks!!" and the like. I'm not gonna lie, a part of me smiles inside when I see it. They've been on the dole long enough. I suppose it's good work if you can get it. But it's gotta end at some point.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:28 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
No, my premise is just fine. Seeing as how the cuts were TEMPORARY, it's not actually a tax "increase" at all. It is a scheduled expiration of what amounts to a tax holiday.
Under different circumstances I might agree, however, the cut rates have been in place for 9 years now. During that time, millions of new taxpayers have begun paying income taxes for the first time. You can argue semantics all you want, but to those people reverting back to the old rates would in fact be perceived as an increase.

For extra fun, Democrats spent the better part the past couple years arguing that the Republicans should accept compromise in the spirit of bipartisanship. How funny it is to see the Democrats get a taste of their own medicine by stomping around like children when they do not get their way.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:29 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:

Amazing how you can invoke the Goldman Sachs guy and a refer to a few dozen others and pretend like they are a good excuse to screw two million taxpayers. Just like Charlie Rangel talking about multimillion dollar Wall Street bonus babies as a reason to nail people that make $200k.

99.999% of business in America has nothing to do with your giant straw man. You have no credibility when you act like it does.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:29 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
No, you don't have it right. There are no tax "cuts" for everyone, this would be an extension of the current, decade long tax RATES. If they fail to extend them, that would be a tax HIKE.
You have it simply and perfectly incorrect. They are TEMPORARY tax CUTS, to previous TAX RATES. The length of time of the tax CUTS no matter how much you and the faux news attempt to harp on them, is moot. The tax CUTS were designed to be in effect for time A through time B, then sunset and RETURN to normal previously established, agreed upon RATES within the bill to enact the CUTS to the normal tax RATES.

A bill to EXTEND them would be a continuation of TAX CUTS of the previous normal tax RATES...hence the terminology....EXTENSION of Bush era TAX CUTS.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:31 PM

110 posts, read 124,132 times
Don't forget Republicans are also hostage-taking terrorists, who shouldn't be negotiated with under any circumstances... Liberals will negotiate with Al-Qaeda terrorists, they'll negotiate with Iranian hostage-takers, they'll negotiate with Jew-killing Palestinian terrorists, but Republicans? UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies