Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 09:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

I was even trying to be a little politically correct until I heard Indians referring to themselves as Indians. I think the pc types just like to make big deals out of nothing sometimes. Also like ethnic jokes, the best ones are told by the people of that ethnicity themselves. People should lighten up.

It's the pc crowd that wants to act like Indans hate the USA when in reality Indians have a deep patriotism for this land and a high rate of military service. I don't know of any Indians who think we can go back 400 years and undo everything that happened long before we were born, only the weirdest politically correct whites believe that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 09:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Political Correctness is another name for whitewashing and eliminating things from our society.
Only it's been taken to an extreme here to the point that we're not even sensible anymore in what is socially acceptable.

-Remove a Christmas tree from a Chase bank lobby because someone is "offended"
-The President lights the huge NATIONAL Christmas tree at the White House and talks of it as a symbol and even said "I wish all of you a Merry Christmas and a blessed holiday season."
Obama lights the National Christmas Tree, says 'Merry Christmas' three times | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times

How is that NOT hypocrisy ? Individuals have taken PC to their own extremes and have defined what's offensive to them. And everyone seems to be kowtowing to that.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:04 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Political correctness is for whiners to control people and speech. Of course there is also the money. Government grants to study each and every whine of the day.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I was even trying to be a little politically correct until I heard Indians referring to themselves as Indians. I think the pc types just like to make big deals out of nothing sometimes. Also like ethnic jokes, the best ones are told by the people of that ethnicity themselves. People should lighten up.

It's the pc crowd that wants to act like Indans hate the USA when in reality Indians have a deep patriotism for this land and a high rate of military service. I don't know of any Indians who think we can go back 400 years and undo everything that happened long before we were born, only the weirdest politically correct whites believe that.
I have a good friend whose heritage is Sioux and Cree. His dad and mom were raised on a reservation and his dad joined the army to get away. The live in a large city in the southwest now. The family still thinks they deserted the culture.

He does not like the term Indian. Not only does it describe someone from India properly but is a misconception all the way back to Columbus. He can get angry about what happened in the past but does not live in it though. And do NOT call him Native American. Call him American. He is what he is *today* not what he would have been.

I remember in the 80's when the campus clubs formed and you'd see clutches of hispanics and blacks and this and that and I wondered how we went wrong when we asserted that everyone was equal and American a couple of decades before. I think its perfectly all right to call blacks who judge anyone but them as a "them" as racist and know quite well how some of the hispanic community feels living in a neighborhood which became mostly that. I hate that I really don't LIKE hispanic culture much at all but got to see some of it up close and personal in its most isolationist.

We need to QUIT being hybreds. My ancestors were mostly Scots and I'm proud of it but don't call myself some kind of hybred. Have pride, keep your culture but do not present yourself to the world as just that or they'll never see the real you.

I am me. If you don't like me or like me based on me its fine. Just don't say its because I'm white or pagan or whatever else.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:51 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
The problem with Political correctness is more often than not it is taken too far.Those who believe in it the most tend to turn into zealots. Worse still when the FED gets involved they tend to practice institutionalized racism/ sexism. They excuse this with the excuse we need to do this to make up for the past.
Since when does 2 wrongs make a right?
PC in sports.
Every kid must get the same trophy regardless of performance. I struggle with this concept quite a bit. Its not that I don't want kids to feel good about themselves. Its not that I don't think that every child has earned a reward. Its the fact that there should be greater rewards for greater performance.
I coached soccer for my son's teams. U-7 through U-10. Our teams did very well. Good solid basics. None came from a background of hard core soccer fans. We taught them well. Now they tell us not to keep score for U-9 and below. But the kids always keep score. Its a game of scoring points. There is a winner and a loser. Sometimes a draw. Thats life and thats reality. My kids each year would ask how come everyone got a trophy when some teams were terrible. I would answer because they all tried hard just like we did. What other answer could I give? Finally the last year the other coaches and I chipped in and bought trophies for our kids. We had our own party. Word leaked. Kids talked. We were banned from coaching soccer in that league. We were told that it wasn't fair for our kids to get better trophies. Life isn't always fair but performance should always be recognized and held seperate from those that don't. 3 out of 4 years undefeated deserved something... Something more than what those who didn't perform well got.
This sums up PC to the T.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:33 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Being PC isn't a law, it's an attitude or "state of mind". You are guarenteed the freedom by the constitution to speak your mind and label people anything you want. I suggest you go up to these people you rail against at the mass transit station and just tell them how you really feel. Wait till there's 5 or 6 of them in a group so you can educate the group as to your feelings rather than just one at a time. You might open the discussion with the tried and true term, "Boy" or the ever popular N!&&$r. This will let them know immediately that you are not a Politically Correct sheep and will stand up for your white rights to freely speak your mind. I'm sure you'll get a focused response from the group. It is always best to confront the source of your discomfort, directly, rather than whine on the internet about other people and their perceived foibles. Good luck.
Oops! Sorry, wrong finger, but it was the only finger smiley I could find.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:58 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Oops! Sorry, wrong finger, but it was the only finger smiley I could find.
You don't need a smiley with the finger you're referring too. ,.!..

Old 12-12-2010, 11:10 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
A certain degree of political correctness is OK, healthy even. But we crossed that line loooong ago. I mean, look at today: Now we have groups expressing outrage and claiming that cupcakes are racist...

Racist cupcakes? Duncan Hines 'hip-hop' video ad under fire

I saw that ad before I saw the articles, and all I thought was "OK, they're going Mr. Bill/Gumby claymation old school". But apparently, thin skinned people with delicate sensibilities decided that the cupcakes are racist. Give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies