Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 05:48 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,155,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramH View Post
Im not saying I like that cause I dont..
Why?

What don't you like about Marijuana being legal in your country?

How has it effected you, your quality of life and your life in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 05:57 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,464,990 times
To dip a foot in the "anti-legalziation" pool for a minute, it would be because I am ignorant of the current "crop" of pot. I tend to base my judgement on what it was like during the years I personally partook in the experience and the impact it had on my friends and school mates. During the mid to late 70's the stuff sold around us kids could be laced with Angel Dust, LSD, etc. Personally, it always made me too paranoid - even the apparently calming Acapulco Gold.

But the effect it had on some of the kids was really sad. I can't get out of my head one guy who loved sports and was awsome at soccer slowly becoming a pothead. It was like he was no longer there inside. Just a really mellow ghost who wandered the school halls.

My fear is that anything that is legal can be bought by kids somehow - far easier than when it is illegal. And just to be clear - I do NOT judge any adult who smokes pot. As it has been said numerous times above, they are old enough to know what they are doing and it is their individual choice. I also firmly support the use of medical marijuana. My Dad went through chemo - I saw what he went through. If there is something that can ease that for someone else, I'm all for it.

But on the topic of making pot - and as some have mentioned above - all drugs legal? No. I don't think I could support that. I think you only have to look at the awful effect which Opium took on China during the 1800's to question the wisdom of making drugs legal and easily available.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:32 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,774,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post

My fear is that anything that is legal can be bought by kids somehow - far easier than when it is illegal.

But on the topic of making pot - and as some have mentioned above - all drugs legal? No. I don't think I could support that. I think you only have to look at the awful effect which Opium took on China during the 1800's to question the wisdom of making drugs legal and easily available.

Making pot legal will not make it easier for kids to get some. It's already easier for kids to get pot than alcohol.

And your second point is invalid. People who think all drugs should be legal are not supporting an increase in drug use. Making drugs legal will not increase their use, but it might make them less risky.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:46 PM

262 posts, read 550,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Why?

What don't you like about Marijuana being legal in your country?

How has it effected you, your quality of life and your life in general?
Let's say I dont like Marijuana in general.

A lot of (old)friends actually used too much, and thats the problem of the fact that it's legal. It does reduce drug crimerates, but on the other side, it is too easy to get it for people.

I did it when I was 16/17 quite a lot actually, and what I could notice it that I lost interests, motivation, concentration and some other effects. At that time I did feel great ofcourse cause it was so called cool with friends to smoke a J. However, at the end I regret it somehow because I for example let down people and interests. On the other side I do not regret it because now I know what it does with people and will simply not do it again. Also my school results dropped and my sport results.
That is my personal experience, but I also know a lot of other people who had these problems. And I think the problems are somewhat underrated for some people. People dropping out of school, quitting their hobbies, letting down friends/parents/relationships.

Even when going out it is easy to get because there are Always people who have it with them and are willing to sell a bit of it.

Ofcourse, we can compare it with alcohol and sigarettes. And yes I also see problems with these products, but thats not a reason to think like ''if that bad product is legal we can have another unhealthy product to be legalised''.

myopinion...

Old 12-22-2010, 06:48 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,380,115 times
Legalize it or dont legalize it i dont care, if i wanted to smoke it i'd be smoking it,only problem i have with its illegality is the astounding amount of money the government has spent over the last 50+ years to eradicate it yet getting it today is about as easy as walking to the corner store or calling some one to deliver it usually even comes with pizza and beer.
So whats the point of continuing to spend all that tax money to keep the substance illegal when its easier to get these days than it ever was..

Old 12-22-2010, 06:48 PM

88,689 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
But according to all of the propaganda smoking pot will make you go insane and kill somebody with an axe! Oh, and it kills brain cells too!
ROFL. Pot smokers are too mellow to kill anyone when they are stoned. And on the way to the garage to get the axe they will stop at the cookie jar and then forget what they were going for.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:20 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,245,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3stiny View Post
The same reason cocaine, meth, and other drugs are illegal.
If you're equating pot with cocaine, meth & heroin your ignorance is beyond help.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
The end of times is coming......Pat Robertson, founder of the 700 club, has gone on record calling for marijuana legalization. It will be interesting to see how his peers and admirers react to this story. Good for Pat realizing that current drug laws do nothing but damage and there is better avenues to pursue with marijuana.

Shock: Christian Coalition founder Pat Robertson favors marijuana legalization | Raw Story
OMG! The shock is too much! I need a joint!

Old 12-22-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yes propaganda put out by the liberal progressive fascists in the 30's
OOOOOO a new smear label put out by the right wing fear mongering propaganda machine. In fact it was a hugely funded propaganda campaign and the usual political palm greasing sponsored by Dupont and Hurst that got all forms of hemp banned. Hemp used to be the LARGEST cash crop in this country because of its many uses. Dupont realized what a threat it was to his chemical empire and Hurst who owned millions of acres of timber realized what a threat it was to his lumber industry since hemp produces 4x as much pulp as timber. They would have lost on an even playing field. Fairness is for suckers. The uber rich leave nothing to chance.

And by the way it was the "liberal progressive fascists in the 30's" that fought for workers rights while the right wing capitalist, millionaire, robber barons paid off the police to shoot them in the streets. At least today they're not shooting us in the streets; they're much cleverer now. They know it's much more efficient to steal from people legally, through legalized Ponzi schemes.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:45 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,278,198 times
Quote:
So whats the point of continuing to spend all that tax money to keep the substance illegal when its easier to get these days than it ever was..
People like to waste money then complain that we don't have any. I don't get it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies