Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 02:58 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3stiny View Post
Prohibition actually had a case against it. Marijuana does not.
So all the bloodshed in Mexico is not good enough for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 02:59 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,211 times
I am liberal, I don't smoke and don't think I'd start even if it was legal, but I'm for legalization.

It's a personal freedoms issue imo. The fact that Marijuana is illegal, despite all the scientific evidence saying it's no more harmful (and in many cases, LESS harmful) then cigarettes and alcohol should be a problem for every freedom loving American, liberal or conservative.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:04 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
It's a personal freedoms issue imo.
Which is why all GOP supporters should support legalization.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
I'm sure most of you have heard the phrase that the only people who support marijuana legalization are people who smoke it. While that is in fact true
Which is where you are wrong from the get go.

I've never smoked pot, not once. But it's easy to recognize the stupidity of having it be illegal and wasting so much time and money on it. I don't drink whiskey either but if you wanted to outlaw it I'd fight against that too. Or cigarettes, which I HATE, but would still fight to keep legal. People can't see past their own noses, literally.

It's the biggest non issue in the country and I don't know why people continue to fight about it. Ignorance I suppose. Inability to admit they might be wrong or to give an inch or to change things from 'how they have always been'. I can't be sure. In real life the only people who ever told me they wanted to keep it illegal were a little light in the brains department. While I can't speak for everyone who wants to keep it illegal I'm not going to rule that reason out either.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:10 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,508 times
Who are you to tell an adult what they can and cannot put into their own body?

Old 12-17-2010, 03:37 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,086 times
Marijuana is nowhere near as harmful as alcohol. According to a recent study, alcohol is the most deadly drug available.

Study: Alcohol Most Dangerous Drug - Health & Science - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com

Alcohol is involved in the majority of documented homicides, manslaughters, assaults and rape cases. This is because alcohol impairs people's judgement (no sh*t). Marijuana won't influence you kill someone or rape a woman in the heat of the moment, but alcohol undoubtedly gives many people the liquid courage to do unspeakable things.

Answers.com - How often is alcohol involved in homicide

Not to mention alcohol has been used as a tool of oppression in American inner city areas for decades. It is without a doubt that an over access to alcohol fuels the crime and homicide rate in impoverished ghetto communities. For example, the notorious West Oakland has about 53 liquor stores and ZERO grocery stores. Cohesively, cheap liquor marketed to poor minorities in the ghetto definitely causes a stark difference in the prevalence of alcoholism in said communities which starkly contrasts with the generally more conservative and moderate drinking habits of higher income people. For instance, malt liquor drinkers are more likely to be poor and or unemployed minorities who drink everyday.

West Oakland: 53 liquor stores, 0 grocery stores, detour commuters, & street art activism : Indybay

http://articles.sfgate.com/2000-06-10/news/17649039_1_alcohol-outlets-malt-liquor-alcohol-and-violent-crime (broken link)

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/issue...acer050314.htm

Not only that, alcohol causes havoc and death on America's roads every single day. In the U.S., it is estimated that 3 out of 10 people will be involved in drunk driving accidents at least once in their lives. Tens of thousands of people die every year as a result of drunk driving crashes. Accidents from drunk driving occur approximately every 45 minutes in the U.S. To add more, you can drink yourself to death easily in an hour if you drink too much. There is not a single marijuana overdose death on record in the history of mankind. Also, if you need more proof, the mere enjoyment of being drunk on a regular basis is considered to be a scary life-threatening disease known as alcoholism. Marijuana is not physically addictive like heroin or alcohol. Most people who smoke marijuana only smoke it occasionally. Also, many studies have concluded that occasional marijuana use is less harmless than drinking soda on a regular basis. It is obvious that the social cost of alcohol is astronomically higher than marijuana.

Swiss Research Shows Occasional Marijuana Use Not Harmful To Teens

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/drunk...tatistics.html

I also hate the ignorant idea that people who are alcoholics are immature people who need to learn how to "drink responsibly". Some people have a genetic predisposition to developing alcoholism and have no business drinking, even socially, in the first place. I've seen what alcoholism can do from watching people in my family. If anything, alcohol should be illegal and marijuana should be legal. But that would never happen.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 12-17-2010 at 03:56 PM..

Old 12-18-2010, 05:24 AM

60 posts, read 92,057 times
Wow! I never read an OP with so much misinformation. Hey my mind's made up! This is pretty funny actually because the same people who complain about using our "hard earned taxdollars" to support inmates in prison are the same loudmouths who want more individuals to go to jail for offenses such as this.

You see, this is the whole point of legalizing cannabis so that it's not an illegal substance anymore. Maybe we should make alcohol an illegal substance and start locking up alcohol users. Hey we did that in the 20's didn't we? Ironically these same antihemp people say that "alcohol prohibition" didn't work, it wasn't fair to prohibit alcohol, waah!

I don't understand antimarijuana legalization people. Especially the ones who use alcohol and nicotine products.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:48 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3stiny View Post
I'm sure most of you have heard the phrase that the only people who support marijuana legalization are people who smoke it. While that is in fact true, atleast for the most part, I still don't understand the potheads. Sure, they want it to be legal so they can get their fix, and continue using harmful and illegal substances (which wouldn't be illegal if they had their way). Most people are opposed to legalization of illegal drugs, but I just don't get why some people think it's a good idea to make it legal? People who say "it puts innocent people behind bars" are idiots. Innocent people don't use illegal substances. There is no reason for marijuana, or any other illegal drug, to be legalized. You don't want to go to jail? Don't use illegal substances.

The only legitimate use for illegal drugs is for medical purposes, but if you just want to go get stoned and/or feed your addiction, then it's not okay. And people who say that marijuana is not addictive at all are full of ****. People get addicted to marijuana all the time and they suffer from it, just because you got lucky with a joint once or twice, doesn't mean that everyone is immune to become addicted and/or dependent. I really don't understand marijuana legalization people. No intelligent individual supports and/or endorses an illegal activity, yet a select few uneducated persons seem to support the use of marijuana, which is an illegal activity.
Just these two paragraphs of this thread just shows your lack of knowledge and belief of propaganda. How dare you sprout the words 'uneducated people'. There are a lot of WELL educated people that smoke weed. Marijuana isn't a 'fix'. That's cocaine and heroine etc.. No one gets addicted to marijuana and if you did any REAL research or had any REAL experience you would know this. Start a thread you actually know something about instead of just biding your time because your bored. One of two things... you're either a much older person that still believes all the old school propaganda or a young person that just listens and believes what the much older crowd tells you. Either way do some research and get yourself EDUCATED.

I'll help... Myths and Facts About Marijuana from 'drugpolicy.org'.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:46 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
<H3>Why Marijuana is Illegal - Top 7 Reasons Why Marijuana is Illegal

Why is Marijuana Illegal? « Legalize Marijuana

Read this and maybe you will overstand
</H3>

Old 12-18-2010, 10:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Marijuana may be a bit more dangerous than the pro-drug types claim.

They recently arrested a US citizen 14 year old hitman in Mexico who was cutting heads off people he tortured. He's going to go for the innocent plea because he is claiming he was kidnapped and drugged with marijuana to get him to saw off heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies