Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 08:05 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times

Advertisements

We should open up Medicare to all US citizens. We need to get the cost of health care off the backs of US employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 08:06 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Deep into debt for the equipment, but do they get the care or are they just allowed to die?

Who cares where the equipment was made? Most of the equipment that I saw in the heart hospital had stamps that read made in the USA. Nice try, though.
I lived in Germany for 18 years. When did you live there?

Old 12-18-2010, 08:10 PM

565 posts, read 485,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Which European health care system are we talking about? The French,UK and Swiss have different types of health care systems with varying results.
Most of them but for the UK.

Holland, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Spain, France ...........
All of them are way superior to the US system.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:11 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
I am glad you got good treatment but you are only one individual in the all society. One of the cleanest place you have ever been, where did you roam before, I am talking about Europe. European countries do not ration healthcare, the US does.
European countries do ration health care.

Everything on the planet is rationed except air and sunlight.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:12 PM

565 posts, read 485,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
European countries do ration health care.

Everything on the planet is rationed except air and sunlight.
And beer in my local bar.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:12 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The problem with health care in the US is the cost, and I can't see it ever being priced reasonably as long as you have insurance companies taking profits.
If it's the cost that's the problem, as you say, then there's an easy solution. Stop the government from subsidizing health care and the cost will drop through the floor. The problem is that the government provides a foundation for prices to not drop through. Take that away, and the insurance company prices will fall to the ground. It's the same with college tuition. If the federal government would stop meeting each and every tuition hike with student loans to match the increases, then college wouldn't be so expensive.

My brother-in-law owns a flooring business in St. Louis. He got a state government contract before to install carpets at a park office in the St. Louis area and he charged the state 600% what he would charge a private business. The government worker told him that's the best bargain he found in town and guess what? The state BOUGHT his ridiculously overpriced carpets because he KNEW that the government was irresponsible with the people's money (ever hear about the infamous $400 hammer?) and would pay for it, as long as his competitors weren't undercutting him. That's using his business senses, which the government lacks. That's why everything the government touches eventually becomes inefficient and bloated, just like universities, just like insurance companies

Old 12-18-2010, 08:14 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
We should open up Medicare to all US citizens. We need to get the cost of health care off the backs of US employers.
Ask physicians if they agree with you. They get paid about 50% for surgery and a bit more for office calls.

I have been on Medicare for 13 years and somehow I think that studying what they send me about what they are paying makes me a bit more informed than most of you. I love seeing their statements and finding out that those bureaucrats pay like they do. The thing that bothers me is that most people who have no insurance get to pay every penny and Medicare doesn't pay much.

I think that the problem with health costs is that Medicare pays so little so the care givers sock it to the insurance companies for their people.

Hang in there begging for government controlled health care.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:17 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I lived in Germany for many years. Obviously, you have no clue.
Where are the long waiting lines? And vastly inferior technology and equipment. I work in a hospital. My position is non-clinical, but I have a chane to see what goes on. In the ED much of the equipment used have little plates that read Made In Germany.
Try to do some research of your own.
The Germans hear horror stories about the failures of America's healtcare system, that people without money get get needed treatment, and those who go deep into debt for healthcare.

My comments were not about Germany. However, the technology comment applies there also. Here is an example from Health Affairs in December 2010:

"The differences in open-heart surgery units were large also. In 1992 the
United States had 945 installed open-heart surgery units, about 3.7 units
per million people. In Canada 1.3 per million and in Germany 0.8 per
million were available. For three of the technologies, the availability was higher in Canada than in Germany, and vice-versa for the other three.

The differences in the availability of extracorporeal shock wave
lithotripsy and cardiac catheterization between the United States and
Germany were not great, although, to repeat a point made earlier, the years are different. The United States had about 480 lithotriptors, or 1.9 per million population, while Germany had 1.4 units per million. Cardiac
catheterization centers numbered 1,631 in the United States, about 6.4
centers per million. Germany had about 3.4 such centers per million. Organ
transplantation was only two times more available in the United States
than in Canada. "

The availability of technology in the US far exceeds that of most other countries.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:18 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,314 times
I'm sure that there are pros & cons to European health care just like there are here. The problem I see is that most Americans don't bother to really investigate the issue and get the word of mouth opinions of Europeans themselves. So basically, most of them have no idea what they are talking about.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:19 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I lived in Germany for 18 years. When did you live there?
I was there from summer 1955 - through the same part of 1957. Of course, that was a long time ago and I had Army doctors to take care of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies