Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 10:56 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Who are they lobbying FOR?

You believe that gun ownership is not a right then,you believe you should have to ask permission....
They lobby for those who want to own guns and those who make guns.

So you believe that anyone out on the street should be able to buy a gun if they have the money including felons?

Why not ask permission, you ask permission to drive, to get a job, to buy a house, to buy a car, to open a bank account, to have a credit card, etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
They lobby for those who want to own guns and those who make guns.
Those who own guns would be.....citizens of the USA.

As to lobbying for gun manufacturers,could you provide evidence of this?

Quote:
So you believe that anyone out on the street should be able to buy a gun if they have the money including felons?
Yes,as long as the individual has paid his deb to society he is a free man in my opinion.If he is still a menace to society why would he be released at all?

Quote:
Why not ask permission, you ask permission to drive, to get a job, to buy a house, to buy a car, to open a bank account, to have a credit card, etc etc.
Must I ask permission to speak freely or to worship my religion?

Old 12-23-2010, 11:08 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,386,215 times
Quote:
This seems like sour grapes,did you vote for him?

Nope I am a member of the Libertarian Party. We oppose all lobbyists in government.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:12 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Look what happened in New Orleans after Katrina.
The Police were going door to door and doing illegal searches, confiscating all fire arms.
Even old elderly citizens, taking them with physical violence on an elderly woman, who 2 days later was robbed at gun point in her home.
She was not the only one, just the actual documented confiscation on video and the police report for the brutal robbery.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
It is difficult for me to regard the NRA as a "lobby".

It is a group of citizens demanding the integrity of the Constitution, the Law of the Land.

The NRA isn't championing Remington or Browining.

Lobby? Lobby?

You make a very good point but so long as they "lobby" the government and there is money involved , I oppose this type of activity where money influences legislation.

We don't need to "lobby" for the 2nd Amendment since it is a right that is "endowed by our creator" and the government can never take a right away. They can surpress the "right" of gun ownership, but then is the time to "refresh the tree of liberty."

Once again, so long as no money exchanges hands between "lobbyists" then I see no problem, but a lobby with money is like a shark without teeth, ie, no threat.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:21 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
But if the lobby group is consisting solely of individual citizens,is it not the voice of the people( a select group to be sure)???

Old 12-23-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Look what happened in New Orleans after Katrina.
The Police were going door to door and doing illegal searches, confiscating all fire arms.
Even old elderly citizens, taking them with physical violence on an elderly woman, who 2 days later was robbed at gun point in her home.
She was not the only one, just the actual documented confiscation on video and the police report for the brutal robbery.
This was a gross violation opf her Constitutional right to own firearms. This woman should sue the city up the yin yang. I an not sure I would voluntarily give over my firearms to anyone unless they had a search warrant that specifically named my particular firearms to be confisgated from me.

Therefore if the police forcibly remove firearms without probable cause and a search warrant, they are liable to action in the courts. In the instance of the old lady, I don't recall Marshall Law being declared in NO but I could be mistaken.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:24 AM

49 posts, read 25,737 times
Quote:
I hope so,nothing like putting another nail in the coffin of this administration....

Opposing Views: Obama May Finally Stand Up to NRA & Gun Lobby
If you think "gun violence" is bad, wait until you get a dose of "government-run-amok violence".

To get an idea of what that is like, look up "Dachau" in Wiki.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:24 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
So Booboo will put extra regulatory requirements on licensced firearms dealers, supposedly in order to keep firearms from heading south of the border...but won't do a da*n thing to keep criminals from crossing into this country. Just flippin' great.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
But if the lobby group is consisting solely of individual citizens,is it not the voice of the people( a select group to be sure)???

That really dosn't fit the definition of a lobby group. The problem with lobbyists is that they use money to gain influence within the government through a quid pro quo action.

I suppose you could call a non monied group that tries to influence legislation a "lobby group" but that's not really how lobbyists are generally defined in the government. That is more a public interest group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies