Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 12:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
It is an American taxpayer problem. We taxpayers must support the consequences of misguided but well meaning legislation.

I suggest you look at the Great Society that was created by LBJ and the Democrats. This set the stage for the destruction of the Black family. It encouraged women to have babies out of wedlock thereby gaming the system out of more money from the government for their own comfort. Before the LBJ Welfare system was made an entitlement, 70% of the Black family was intact. Today the number is 33%. Gereartions of Black young men fail to intergrate into society becuse of legislation. If you don't see how that has harmed generations of Blacks in the cities, then there is no hope in this debate.

Democrats and Republicans both continue to make more and more people rely upon the government. The more you have to rely upon the government, the more the government controls your life. The WIC and the Welfare system over the last 46 years has proved this beyond a shadow of a doubt in my mind. The US government is hell bent upon more and more control over all of Americans, not just the minorities.

Wake up and realize the less control the US government has over its citizens, the more free they are to pursue life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. By the grant of government under the Constitution from the "PEOPLE", it is the PEOPLE that are charged to control the government, not the government controlling the people..
What in the hell does that have to do with black people. If i recall correctly, white folks invented the New Deal and Great Society, and moreover, have eaten at its trough as much as anyone else.

So excuse me if i don't apologize for the black vote. Which still isn't your business by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 12:21 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Then if neither party offers more than lip service, why only critisize blacks for lack of critical thinking when it comes to voting. That was my point.
You have a point,I should criticise everyone who votes for the two parties..

Quote:
Blacks are not an interest group because they just aren't. That's common sense. We don't hold meetings to discuss who we're ALL going to vote for. We just happen to vote pretty much alike. And it's basically because we think the OTHER party is a worse deal. Nothing more, nothing less.
LOL....you just happen to vote pretty much all the same way...

Quote:
My reason? Lot's of 'em. But me explaining that to you goes against what i stand for....namely, that black folks don't have to explain anything to non-blacks as to who they vote for and why. That's my business. If you were a friend, i'd have no problem telling you.
Wow,good thing you aren't one of those divisive and intolerant white conservatives....

Quote:
And me personally, i would like for there to be more options than the simple 2 party system....but alas...i have to work with what i have.
No,no you don't,you simply CHOOSE to do it.

It is of course always easier to go along with the norm,hence why people despise those who do not.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:23 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
The two parties were quite a bit different then, you had many more liberal Republicans than you do now, and many more conservative Democrats. In fact back then the Democratic Party had two very distinct wings, the liberal northern wing, and the conservative Southern wing.

When FDR was President African Americans started trending Democratic. Once LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act the 1964 election basically became a referendum on that act as Goldwater campaigned heavily against that.

While more Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act than Democrats, the largest voting bloc was Northern Democrats, the GOP then followed that by using Atwater's "Southern Strategy" to appeal towards whites in the south angry over the Civil Rights Act.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You have a point,I should criticise everyone who votes for the two parties..

LOL....you just happen to vote pretty much all the same way...

Wow,good thing you aren't one of those divisive and intolerant white conservatives....

No,no you don't,you simply CHOOSE to do it.

It is of course always easier to go along with the norm,hence why people despise those who do not.
Yea...we pretty much vote the same way. So? Are Cuban-Americans an interest group?

Don't know what you mean by intolerant white conservative. I'm not intolerant at all. I'm just a free man with the right to vote as i please. But yea, i'm pretty much on-guard for folks who think i have to justify my actions. I'm somewhat militant....but for good reason.

And yea, it's somewhat easier to go along with the norm, but that's not my issue. Simply put, i can't afford to sit on the sidelines. If folks despise me for that, well....ok. I do pretty well under those conditions anyway.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Yea...we pretty much vote the same way. So? Are Cuban-Americans an interest group?
Yes.

Quote:
Don't know what you mean by intolerant white conservative. I'm not intolerant at all. I'm just a free man with the right to vote as i please. But yea, i'm pretty much on-guard for folks who think i have to justify my actions. I'm somewhat militant....but for good reason.
My point was if you were a white conservative,you would be chastised for the way you are by some...

Quote:
And yea, it's somewhat easier to go along with the norm, but that's not my issue. Simply put, i can't afford to sit on the sidelines. If folks despise me for that, well....ok. I do pretty well under those conditions anyway.
What does the party you choose to support do to help you specifically?

Old 12-23-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Yes.

My point was if you were a white conservative,you would be chastised for the way you are by some...

What does the party you choose to support do to help you specifically?
I've done ok...don't really need much of anything. However, i'm an FDR Democrat, and everything that comes along with that (well, 99% of it) is what i stand for.

I don't look for the party to do something for me specifically.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:55 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,843 times
Quote:
What in the hell does that have to do with black people. If i recall correctly, white folks invented the New Deal and Great Society, and moreover, have eaten at its trough as much as anyone else.

So excuse me if i don't apologize for the black vote. Which still isn't your business by the way.
I am not asking anyone to apologise for the black vote so your are misguided on that point. The Black vote is my business since we are all Americas first, and sub groups after that, unless you think each ethnic group is only responsible for its own vote as a voting block, which is entirely untrue because we all have different reason for our votes..

Your poltical naivite seems to be leaking into this debate if you think all groups vote as a voting block,lock step, and it is no one's business to examine how citizens vote alike in this country. As if there were real choices anyway. It is like saying I can't have a say in the X-Ray since it was invented by George Alcorn, a Black man.

I don't have to be a member of a minority to be able to examine it or partake in the fruits of the progress the Blacks contribute to society.. That kind of thinking is absurd and perhaps even racist.

George Alcorn: Inventor of the Imaging X-ray Spectrometer

Absurd and a racist viewpoint in my opinion.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:56 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Because, today, the interests of blacks as a group are better supported by the Democrats than the Republicans.

It's not rocket surgery.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Because, today, the interests of blacks as a group are better supported by the Democrats than the Republicans.

It's not rocket surgery.
How?

Old 12-23-2010, 01:05 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
When you have the Republican Senate Pro Temp of South Carolina leading a gala celebration of the 150th Anniversary of South Carolina's secession that isn't exactly going to help the GOP appeal to African Americans....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies