Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 07:56 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times

Advertisements

This discussion reminds me of a discussion at a church potluck the week before the '08 elections. Politics came up, and I mentioned that I would vote third party, and surprisingly I got criticized for it. One guy actually said to me, "A vote for anyone other than a Republican is a vote for abortion and against Christianity." When I mentioned that the Republicans tortured, were irresponsible with the country's finances, and don't really care about the poor at all, another woman said, "I know, but we have to vote for the Republicans in order to protect Christianity in America."

And that, folks, is why Christianity and politics really shouldn't mix. Too many Christians now equate being conservative with being a "good Christian." You can believe that Jesus rose from the dead and be left wing. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only Christian who thinks this way though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 08:06 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
There are a good number of Christian Democrats out there. A lot of my family is Christian Democrat.

That said, one of the reasons there is a lot of overlap between being Christian and Republican is because the Republican party does line up with a lot of what the Bible teaches. For example the Bible has a bunch of verses about cherishing life, which many Christians understand includes not aborting a fetus, and the official Republican stance on abortion is pro-life (though obviously individual members have their own opinions too). A lot of Christians also believe homosexuality is a sin and use some Bible verses to back it up, and the Republican Party as a whole advocates limiting the definition of marriage as between a man and a woman. So in other words, a lot of the values line up.

That said there are many Christians who follow those values for themselves but don't necessarily believe in forcing those values on all of society, so while they may personally not want to have an abortion or marry someone of the same sex, they don't necessarily advocate that legislation because they believe others should be able to choose for themselves and come to their own conclusions.

There are also Christians who believe strongly in remaining politically neutral. They often believe that they are here to represent God's Kingdom, so they shouldn't get caught up in the politics of any particular country or group. The Jehovah's Witnesses are an example of this view. They believe that getting involved in politics is putting faith and trust in humans, but humans aren't trustworthy or dependable because they die and they can only do so much. Jehovah (a.k.a. God), on the other hand, isn't dying anytime soon and can make changes on a much larger scale, so it makes much more sense to depend on him.

And of course there is a lot of variety among Christians and among Republicans. Not all Christians and not all Republicans share identical beliefs about everything. It's best just to get to know someone individually and find out what they believe.
Look some more nim. Try to remember the last time you saw or heard of a band of marauding Lutherans or Episcopalians. Those Quakers are a boisterous bunch, eh?
Of all the denominations present, who does the most emotional blackmailing or persistently blurs the lines of God and country for the sake of persuasion?

Old 12-24-2010, 08:34 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Look some more nim. Try to remember the last time you saw or heard of a band of marauding Lutherans or Episcopalians. Those Quakers are a boisterous bunch, eh?
Of all the denominations present, who does the most emotional blackmailing or persistently blurs the lines of God and country for the sake of persuasion?
Yes, it's really unfortunate that most Americans associate "Christian" with Evangelicals that are heavily involved in politics. Their views don't represent the majority of serious, Bible-believing Christians. The "moral majority" types aren't really a majority, just a very vocal minority of Christians. I'm not judging their salvation (only God can do that), but I think their political views are misguided. God is not a Republican (or a Democrat).

I'll say it: I'm a Christian who believes Jesus is the only way to God, I believe He rose from the dead, AND I'm a nonconservative, progressive liberal.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:38 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Jesus, while He was on earth, did not belong to any political party. He wasn't concerned with politics or changing man's governmental system. He was neither a liberal nor a conservative, though He had views that would be considered both. But He was a revolutionary, looking to establish a new Kingdom on earth.

One thing that was central to Christ's ministry was helping the poor, feeding the hungry and healing the sick. It was pointing the lost toward God without condemnation, casting out demons and showing compassion to the sinners. It was constantly giving of Himself, even to the point of dying on the cross.

As a Christ follower, I try to exemplify these values in all areas of my life, including in my political views. However, I won't tell you how to vote -- that's between you and God.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:42 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
I'm a Christian only in the context that I was raised a Catholic here in Boston. But I do not practice my faith and the only verse I know from the Bible is: In the beginning.
I'm also a moderate conservative Republican.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:43 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Jesus was anti-government? Where on earth did you get that idea?
Well, he DID embarrass City Hall.

And, City Hall got even!

Marty Luther did the same with his anti-quid-quo-pro attack on the Church, but I think with the help of Johanny Gutenberg, somehow got away with it.

"Strongly disputing the claim that freedom from God's punishment of sin could be purchased with money, he confronted indulgence salesman Johann Tetzel with his Ninety-Five Theses in 1517."

Martin Luther - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-24-2010, 08:50 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
There is nothing in the Bible that suggests Jesus was a liberal. Nothing.

If you read the Bible Jesus was anti-government. He had no use for it. After all, it was government trying to kill him before he was born, tried to jail him when he was alive and ended up executing him.
Jesus was Moses?

It's possible.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:54 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Republican party is more family friendly. Pro-life and pro-independent people. By the way Jesus never said we should live off the government, in fact He wanted us to separate from the government---give to God what belonged to God and to government what belonged to government (many today think more and more of out things belong to the government.) Those who did not work would not eat kind of thing. St. Paul wrote that to Christians in his letters.
This is what I find in the bible:

1 Peter 2:13
"Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority,"

Try reading it through it. You would be surprised what you will find in there!

Old 12-24-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As evidenced by?

Newt Gingrich?

Mark Sanford?

Ted Haggard?

Etc., etc., etc............................................... ..........................?
Larry Craig, Tom Foley, Vitter, ...............

Old 12-24-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Exactly, he encourages private charity, he does not encourage government seizure and theft. This is why Republicans and Conservatives all give generously. Not only in money either, Conservatives give more blood and volunteer more often than their stingy left wing counterparts. Conservatives even give more to secular charities per capita than Liberals.

On the other hand, Liberals hate private charities with a passion, they believe the government should seize money and property then redistribute it based on who they judge to be deserving.
You need to review the ten commandments again. Especially this one:
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies