Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 11:30 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You do realize that state high-risk insurance pools were avaialble before the health care bill, right? This is nothing new.
What is new, is National access to it.

From http://kff.org/healthreform/upload/8061.pdf

"Establish a temporary national high-risk pool to provide health coverage to individuals with pre-existing
medical conditions. U.S. citizens and legal immigrants who have a pre-existing medical condition and
who have been uninsured for at least six months will be eligible to enroll in the high-risk pool and
receive subsidized premiums. Premiums for the pool will be established for a standard population and
may vary by no more than 4 to 1 due to age; maximum cost-sharing will be limited to the current law
HSA limit ($5,950/individual and $11,900/family in 2010). Appropriate $5 billion to finance the program.
(Effective within 90 days of enactment until January 1, 2014)"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 11:31 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Thank you for making a comment that is actually about High Risk Plans for those with Pre-existing conditions. These people at least now will be able to purchase some coverage, even if it is high, would likely be much less than having to try to come out of pocket for all the care.
They were always able to purchase coverage even if it was high.. My fiance has chrohns, and my father has a rare disease that requires a $50K treatment monthly.. They both have insurance.. Stop pretending you cant get care with pre-existing conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Lets get one thing straight pghquest, I'm not a democrat and I'm not a liberal. I'm a realist and a Independent.
I dont care where you rest on a political spectrum. If you are wrong, you are wrong..
Quote:
Those in the military drawing foodstamps have children in which I posted. You failed to mention those in the military drawing on medicare or medicaid. Why is that?
Those in the military have military insurance like tricare.
Quote:
The fact is you keep blathering about personal responsibilities constantly but don't even have a clue of the hell that many hard working Americans go through when it pertains to severe health issues and coverage. No clue at all!
I have far more of a clue about the hardships of getting insurance as listed above than you can imagine. Again.. Just because you are an independent, it doesnt make you correct.. YOU ARE WRONG... you were wrong when you were babbling about people DYING in the streets as well, which is what started these replies..
Quote:
I never mentioned people dying in the streets in any of my posts, however there are people who die in their homes everyday in this country because they can not afford care any longer let alone health insurance that was rapidly increasing under Bush let alone Obama.
Boy is the bull crap getting deep in here.. They are dying BECAUSE THEY ARE SICK.. No one is denied medical treatments in america. Get this straight and then maybe we can have an intelligent conversation..
Quote:
Those who can take advantage of acquiring health insurance now with a pre-existing condition is a good thing not a bad thing. And it's not free, these people are paying for it.
They were always able to get care with pre-existing conditions. Stop pretending this isnt true
Quote:
As far as Obama's plan fixing anything, at least it will give some the opportunity to acquire insurance. The other issues with this bill may die in time but will have to be replaced with something better not back to the way it was, cause it simply........sucked.
Again.. it will not... People were ALWAYS able to get care..

Old 12-28-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Come on, man...that's just asinine.

Medicaid covers poor people. It does not give coverage to people denied health insurance due to pre-existing conditions unless they also happen to be poor enough.

Medicare covers old people. It does not give coverage to people denied health insurance due to pre-existing conditions unless they also happen to be over 65.

You obviously don't even know these basic facts..and you want to talk to me about not being able to discuss problems like an adult??

Your entire post is a joke.
BZZZ.. Liberals wrong again..

How You Qualify for Social Security Disability Benefits: Disability Planner

Then you must have a medical condition that meets Social Security's definition of disability. In general, we pay monthly cash benefits to people who are unable to work for a year or more because of a disability.

Age isnt even a determining factor... Spare me the comments about whos a joke until you educate yourself first..

Old 12-28-2010, 11:37 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
What is new, is National access to it.
Why was national access necessary when the states already had it?

Old 12-28-2010, 11:40 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
BZZZ.. Liberals wrong again..

How You Qualify for Social Security Disability Benefits: Disability Planner

Then you must have a medical condition that meets Social Security's definition of disability. In general, we pay monthly cash benefits to people who are unable to work for a year or more because of a disability.

Age isnt even a determining factor... Spare me the comments about whos a joke until you educate yourself first..
*sigh*

Social security pays in the event that you meet their definition of Total Disability. Total disability is not the same thing as a pre-existing condition. You may have total disability as a result of a pre-existing condition, but many people do not - and will not if they can get access to the health care they need to prevent worsening of their disease state.

I'm feeling embarrassed for you right now.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:42 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why was national access necessary when the states already had it?
I don't know if all states had access to high risk plans, also, there would be no fed funds helping to pay for it.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
*sigh*

Social security pays in the event that you meet their definition of Total Disability. Total disability is not the same thing as a pre-existing condition.

I'm feeling embarrassed for you right now.
Sigh...
Listing of Impairments - Adult Listings (Part A)
Listing of Impairments - Child Listings (Part B)

Pre-existing conditions which would keep you from obtaining employment which would give you medical benefits. If you cant get employment because of your illness, it would mean you are disabled.. Feel embarassed for yourself.. I surely am...

Old 12-28-2010, 11:45 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Does it make you happy to know you believed a bunch of lies, trickery and gimmicks from this president and democrat congress who shoved this 2700 page monstrosity down the throats of the American people, using procedural trickery, back room deals, payoffs, double counting techniques and just plain LIES?

SOME of us on here and in the media were telling exactly what would happen, but instead, obama's die hard supporters chose to believe him, his minions and the propaganda and lies about obamacare.
The question was does this news make YOU happy? You didn't answer the question. Does that news make you HAPPY?

Old 12-28-2010, 11:51 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
I don't know if all states had access to high risk plans, also, there would be no fed funds helping to pay for it.
Incorrect. There has been ongoing federal funding for state high-risk pools. For example, see S. 288 - State High Risk Pool Funding Extension Act of 2005

More info: http://www.ahipresearch.org/pdfs/Hig...date2-2-06.pdf

Why are so many liberals so uninformed?

Old 12-28-2010, 12:01 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
Botox is only covered by insurance in medically necessary cases. (Such as neurological problems which cause eyelid droop and make it impossible for a person to see.) Plastic surgery is only covered for medical reconstruction. (Of course if you would rather pay out of pocket to repair your face after a horrible burn- feel free.) NO ONE is getting plastic surgery covered by the insurance company for "cosmetic" reasons.
Guess you missed this.

Taxpayers Paid $9M For NY Teachers' Cosmetic Work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies