Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 10:17 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,325,718 times

Advertisements

There was a time when an athlete and a gentleman were one and the same, and every athlete knew instinctively that s/he was a role model.

Vick copped a plea because, had he allowed it to go to court, a helluva lot more bad stuff would have come out.

Vick shouldn't even be allowed to attend a professional sporting event, much less participate in one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 10:20 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
There was a time when an athlete and a gentleman were one and the same, and every athlete knew instinctively that s/he was a role model.

Vick copped a plea because, had he allowed it to go to court, a helluva lot more bad stuff would have come out.

Vick shouldn't even be allowed to attend a professional sporting event, much less participate in one.
My thoughts exactly!

This man is paid big money AND is a role model for children. I venture to say the word 'gentleman' has never been in his vocabulary. Quick money, fame, and thinking he was above the law is more like it.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
Vick's situation went through the legal system and he paid his dues. Now he's back on his feet and making money again, and still has the skills honed for his chosen profession.

Personally, I don't think the President helped himself by making a public statement about it, but the 1st amendment applies to him, too.

Meanwhile, MV paid the price for what he did. GET OVER IT.
A prison term is not the only price one pays for committing (at least certain) crimes in a society. Loss of reputation is one such other price to pay. There was a time when professional sporting organizations valued reputation a lot more and money a little bit less. This isn't about redemption, this is about money.

If Vick were an average athlete he'd be flipping burgers right now.

ETA: Flipping burgers right now, MAYBE. I doubt your average family burger joint would want someone this sick in the head to be a public face of their company. I wouldn't have him picking up my garbage.

Last edited by Cavaturaccioli; 12-29-2010 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: To modify a thought.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:28 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,662 times
Quote:

And you know this HOW? Do you have a "inside" information from law enforcement about his case? And if it were such a strong case with so much other bad stuff, WHY did the prosecutor LET HIM TAKE A PLEA?

Old 12-29-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
When the Queen of England decided to leave the President of the United States off the invite list for her grandson and heir the the thrones wedding ...
I realized I was not alone in personally disliking the man himself.
With all the great , kind , loving people in the US doing all kind of wonderful work , our President offers up a compliment for a dog killing professional athlete who owned a illegal gambling ring.
What a prize we have .
He was left off the guest list because of his reputation for giving really lousy gifts. On a state visit, he gave the queen an iPod with his speeches on it.

What was he gonna give the bride and groom? A lock of his hair?

Old 12-29-2010, 10:30 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
My thoughts exactly!

This man is paid big money AND is a role model for children. I venture to say the word 'gentleman' has never been in his vocabulary. Quick money, fame, and thinking he was above the law is more like it.
Parents should have a LOT to do with who is a role model for their children. If parents "worship" athletes, then I guess their children will too.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
My thoughts exactly!

And Pete Rose is still ineligible for The Hall of Fame. What's up with that?

Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,763 times
Quote:
He was left off the guest list because of his reputation for giving really lousy gifts. On a state visit, he gave the queen an iPod with his speeches on it.

What was he gonna give the bride and groom? A lock of his hair?
Don't forget he gave back the bust of Winston Churchill.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
And you know this HOW? Do you have a "inside" information from law enforcement about his case? And if it were such a strong case with so much other bad stuff, WHY did the prosecutor LET HIM TAKE A PLEA?
Yes, I do have information on this case that hasn't been made public.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:33 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,763 times
Quote:
And Pete Rose is still ineligible for The Hall of Fame. What's up with that?
This is the NFL , the garbage dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies