Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:21 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'd be more interested to know what kind of video and computer games or movies they kid liked. Violent games, violent movies, that sort of thing. If he had rage issues, then no guns should have been in the house. Kids act out on impulse and have very little self control to begin with.
The school shooting yesterday is another case that bares discussion.
I'm not quite ready to place 'all' the blame on the 10 yr old. I suppose Nancy Grace will grind out the details but I can't really stand that process.

At present I'm going with --'a family that had long-standing issues'/parents didn't agree --creating a less than stable environment and at least one child developed 'anger issues'.

What I now wonder is what will become of the other children. I assume DFCS will become involved--do they have guidelines for securing guns in homes--probably so. There never seem to be any good answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 09:43 AM

81 posts, read 106,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

The point is that there are people in the world who happen to get along just fine without guns.
Depends on your notion of "getting along fine" If I were your Korean friend, I'd be more concerned with "North Korea" than I would with armed americans. He is welcome to stay where it's "safe" there just south of North Korea.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
Only an idiot would blame the gun (but they're out there!).

Funny, the same idiots who blame guns don't blame the
  • automobile in auto accidents
  • drugs in overdoses
  • knives in muggings
  • ropes in suicides
  • sticks in beatings
  • the oil in oil spills

But oddly enough they blame the
  • food for obesity
  • rich for the poor
  • smart for the dumb
  • healthy for the sick
  • good for the bad.
The list goes on but most of us can see the pattern and the common denominator.

EDIT;
I almost forgot a biggie, above in red^^^
I know 100 people who own guns, and Ted Kennedy has killed more people that all of them, with his car.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:53 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
a child with a gun... now there is a formula for failure. If it makes me anti guns then so be it. children have no need for a gun.

Irresponsible parents lead to this event. their error cost one of them dearly. can't make that mistake twice.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
children have no need for a gun.
Not really true. When I was a kid, it was against the law to hunt Squirrels with a slingshot. My trusty .22 was quite legal though. I also would never have won my county indoor Junior small bore pistol championship with a slingshot either.(Admittedly, I was 13, not ten when I did that)

Old 01-06-2011, 11:44 AM

Here's a story about a family who is NOT dysfunctional. Another interesting reality is that kids who participate in organized shooting sports have a WAY better record than any other organized sport when it comes to kids not engaging in criminal activity. Go figure, eh? When is the last time you heard of a football player or basketball player engaging in criminal activity? Last week, maybe? How about the last time ya heard of a champion high power rifle competitor getting busted . . . drawing a blank, aren't ya'll, heheh.

Magazine Feature Stories

Old 01-06-2011, 12:03 PM

High School kids and GUNS! Oh no!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTPi6RgxKiU

Old 01-06-2011, 12:34 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Interesting that the word 'children' is being used to convey emotional support for one side of the argument.

The definition of children by the WHO and other national organizations is set for the sake of running statistics via computer programs.

11 to 15 year olds are selected by gangs and some African ethnic groups to slaugter opponents, as children have a different perspective that makes them especially effective and immune from prosecution.

17 year old children can join the service, be armed and trained in destruction.

Apparently absolute reasonable age is not the best criteria to determine who should have access to firearms. It sure does gain empathetic support in an argument.

Of course your 26 year old children can now be covered on your health insurance. Proposed legislation allows 35 year old children of Mexican parents to gain citizenship.

Gone are the images of children in footed pajamas running down the stairs to cuddle their speckled puppies to be replaced with the statistical children used to support liberal causes.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
. . . Gone are the images of children in footed pajamas running down the stairs to cuddle their speckled puppies to be replaced with the statistical children used to support liberal causes.
I agree, it's ridiculous. Bill Clinton was the king of playing the "It's for the Children" card, in an effort to make virtually any legislation he supported a kid issue, making anyone who voted against his crap appear to be a kid hater. Liberals bought it hook line and sinker too.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:23 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Give a person a weapon, and they will use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies