Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:55 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
No one should be allowed to carry a gun with the sole exception of police officers. That is pretty much the situation in european countries and believe me, it feels good. society has enough problems as it is, no need to fuel it up even more by letting everyone run around armed to the teeth.

I dearly hope that one day, Americans will be able to see it that way but I have my doubts. There's just too many powerful interest groups in the US that will do everything they can to maintain the status quo...
Except in countries like the Czech Republic...

Nope, feels good to me that I'm not defenseless against the criminals who never disarm themselves, or to thugs in uniforms violating rights (i.e., Hurricane katrina, the BART cop incident, etc.). My life is worth more than someone's nonsensical fears.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:11 AM

657 posts, read 697,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Except in countries like the Czech Republic...

Nope, feels good to me that I'm not defenseless against the criminals who never disarm themselves, or to thugs in uniforms violating rights (i.e., Hurricane katrina, the BART cop incident, etc.). My life is worth more than someone's nonsensical fears.
"the thugs in uniforms"?

Now if you lived in a place like Chechnya or Azerbaijan I could understand what you meant by this but c'mon it's not like your average american police officer is a corrupt thug in uniform. It's not like the US is a third-world country with murderous groups of criminals roaming the streets. You don't need to defend yourself.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:16 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
No one should be allowed to carry a gun with the sole exception of police officers. That is pretty much the situation in european countries and believe me, it feels good. society has enough problems as it is, no need to fuel it up even more by letting everyone run around armed to the teeth.

I dearly hope that one day, Americans will be able to see it that way but I have my doubts. There's just too many powerful interest groups in the US that will do everything they can to maintain the status quo...

I carry a gun with me at all times and believe me it feels good to know that I am as best equipped as I can possibly be to defend myself and my family.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:18 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,607 times
The problems that made the father move are more likely to blame.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I don't care if other people have them, but I don't feel the need to own one. I live in a safe, suburban area and my outdoors sport of choice is fishing.

I was out in the woods by the side of a lake fishing one time when a dog that had gotten loose attacked me. I put my foot out and I was wearing work boots. He bit into my boot and knocked me down. As I was reaching for my gun to shoot him the owner came running up and pulled him off me. The owner was lucky I didn't shoot him instead.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:29 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
[IMG]Moderator cut: image removed[/IMG]

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 10:15 AM..

Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
"the thugs in uniforms"?

Now if you lived in a place like Chechnya or Azerbaijan I could understand what you meant by this but c'mon it's not like your average american police officer is a corrupt thug in uniform. It's not like the US is a third-world country with murderous groups of criminals roaming the streets. You don't need to defend yourself.
We have our share. My local police department had an officer caught on video torturing a shackled and caged suspect with a taser for fun. There's been many wrongful shootings by cops all over the country for years now.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
We have our share. My local police department had an officer caught on video torturing a shackled and caged suspect with a taser for fun. There's been many wrongful shootings by cops all over the country for years now.

One just happened in my area this week......

Search for answers begins in Framingham SWAT raid death - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News

Old 01-09-2011, 10:48 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:

Cops are some of the LAST people that should have guns. There's something psychologically unsound with someone who wants to exert control over others.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:12 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
What was the original question?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies