Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:41 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
'Retarded' used to be the polite word. Terms like idiot, imbecile, and moron were commonly used depending on one's IQ. Calling someone mentally retarded is one thing...
Any idea what the policitally correct term is for someone that in the 60s, 70s and 80s would have been (politely) referred to as "retarded"? I'm not up on the PC term of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 11:53 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Conservative commentator Ann Coulter posted a tweet this week, encouraging followers to watch Republican Christopher Barron be interviewed by a "retarded" MSNBC host.

Ann Coulter Calls MSNBC Host 'Retarded'
So, Ann spoke a word, and upset the PC watchdog groups, OMG.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:14 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
People who get their opinions from Ann Coulter really need to get out more and read some real books.

She's a fascist party doll and nothing more.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:27 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
In music, "retard" means to slow down. I think that is the general use of the word, like someone else mentioned spark timing. People who are retarded learn slower so I think that is why they call them that. It only became an insult when people applied it to people who really aren't retarded. The terms "idiot" and "Moron" also covered specific IQ ranges. I think 40-60 was Idiot and 61-80 was Moron. Today those terms are just general insults to 99% of the population.
Most people would also think that calling someone ignorant is also an insult but it is not, if it is accurate. It just means a lack of knowledge of something. Recently, when my wife made a mistake about something because she didn’t know how to do it she said she was stupid. I responded telling her "No you're not; you're ignorant". A friend who was with us gasped and thought I had just insulted her. People are too hung up on words and half of the time (or more) they don't even know their true meaning.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:39 PM

433 posts, read 459,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'd have to see who she was referring to. I've seen a few replacement hosts on MSNBC that came across as unpleasant and unprofessional and seemed to be chosen just based on lack of talent. Anne Coulter is mean, mean enough to be a liberal but her IQ was just a few points too high. If Coulter ever receives a head injury and brain damage, Rachel Maddow should be worried about being replaced.
Reps 2u- love it.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:48 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,618 times
well if that ain't the pot calling the kettle...

Old 01-07-2011, 02:58 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Most people with an appreciable level of intelligence stop using that word as a pejorative after puberty.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:06 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
In music, "retard" means to slow down. I think that is the general use of the word, like someone else mentioned spark timing. People who are retarded learn slower so I think that is why they call them that. It only became an insult when people applied it to people who really aren't retarded. The terms "idiot" and "Moron" also covered specific IQ ranges. I think 40-60 was Idiot and 61-80 was Moron. Today those terms are just general insults to 99% of the population.
Most people would also think that calling someone ignorant is also an insult but it is not, if it is accurate. It just means a lack of knowledge of something. Recently, when my wife made a mistake about something because she didn’t know how to do it she said she was stupid. I responded telling her "No you're not; you're ignorant". A friend who was with us gasped and thought I had just insulted her. People are too hung up on words and half of the time (or more) they don't even know their true meaning.
So being referred to as an ignorant retard would not bother you in the least?

Old 01-07-2011, 03:09 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
I've been called worse-who cares-everyone is so sensitive-and who gives a sh&% what people tweet-

Before people blast me-I do not like Ann Coulter-

Old 01-07-2011, 07:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
'Retarded' used to be the polite word. Terms like idiot, imbecile, and moron were commonly used depending on one's IQ. Calling someone mentally retarded is one thing. Calling someone a 'retard' is something else.
Yes, 'retarded' used to be the polite word. . . for someone who is mentally handicapped. That is what Coulter is saying about Cenk Uygur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies