Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 02:54 PM

451 posts, read 835,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
bily4) This report reinforces what reporters have already been saying - most foreign terrorists killing our troops in Iraq are from Saudi Arabia, not Iran.
This is not a surprise to me infact Iran would not have entered my mind as the main source of foreign terrorists in Iraq.

I'm sure you and I get our news from different sources but I'm curious what led you to think that "most foreign terrorists killing our troops in Iraq" where from Iran?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 03:00 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
This is not a surprise to me infact Iran would not have entered my mind as the main source of foreign terrorists in Iraq.

I'm sure you and I get our news from different sources but I'm curious what led you to think that "most foreign terrorists killing our troops in Iraq" where from Iran?
Who said that? I was reponding to Nirvana Guy's bet that 10-15% of foreign fighters are Iranian - which I would wager to be high based on the numbers we have been given. I agree with you, they are in fact most likely a very small percentage.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Who said that? I was reponding to Nirvana Guy's bet that 10-15% of foreign fighters are Iranian - which I would wager to be high based on the numbers we have been given. I agree with you, they are in fact most likely a very small percentage.
I quoted part of your original post the fact that you said "most foreign terrorists killing our troops in Iraq are from Saudi Arabia, not Iran."

Led my to believe that you were under the impression that most were coming from Iran or why mention Iran?

Old 07-16-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
I quoted part of your original post the fact that you said "most foreign terrorists killing our troops in Iraq are from Saudi Arabia, not Iran."
Led my to believe that you were under the impression that most were coming from Iran or why mention Iran?
Aahh. That was for the benefit of nirvana guy and others, who may have been duped by some of the recent administration propaganda - into thinking Iranians were responsible in any significant degree for attacking our troops or they may have been misled by the vague and unsubstantiated claims relating to actions of the Iranian government.

A recent New Yorker article fascinates - after Bush created this Shiite monster in Iran by breaking Iraq, he is now trying to backpeddle by providing funds to Sunni radical groups as a counterbalance. Many of the same radical Sunni groups that were originally connected to 9/11. (the "real" bad guys.) Give it a read!

The U.S. has been “pumping money, a great deal of money, without congressional authority, without any congressional oversight” for covert operations in the Middle East where it wants to “stop the Shiite spread or the Shiite influence.” Hersh says these funds have ended up in the hands of “three Sunni jihadist groups” who are “connected to al Qaeda” but “want to take on Hezbollah.”

Hersh summed up his scoop in stark terms: “We are simply in a situation where this president is really taking his notion of executive privilege to the absolute limit here, running covert operations, using money that was not authorized by Congress, supporting groups indirectly that are involved with the same people that did 9/11.”

Annals of National Security: The Redirection: Reporting & Essays: The New Yorker

Old 07-16-2007, 04:20 PM

"Seymour Hersh Discusses American Military Strategy on Iranian Radio"
I am somebody who has an opposition to the government -Hersh

"Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Sy Hershwas speaking to an audience of college students a McGill University in Montreal yesterday. He said: "There has never been an American army as violent and murderous as the one in Iraq."

Seymour M. Hersh? Should be Seymour T. for treason. No thanks
I think there is better chance of you paying for a subscription to "Rush 24/7" than me taking Sy seriously.

"Treat yourself to a combined yearly subscription to Rush 24/7 & The Limbaugh Letter and get this spectacular bonus gift - the NEW Rush For Peace coffee mug and screensaver. Proudly display this collectible mug to let liberals know you're for The Peace Through Limbaugh. Plus you'll get Rush's blockbuster report, "What's at Stake for 2008" and "Why Liberals Hate America" FREE. Order now to save 30% on combined subscription rates.

1 year of RUSH 24/7 and The Limbaugh Letter
is only $59.90 + $4.95 s&h"

Iran is playng a major part in in killing US troops make no mistake about it.
I just wish we would do something about it.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:40 PM

[quote=Sprinter;1080530Iran is playng a major part in in killing US troops make no mistake about it.
I just wish we would do something about it.[/QUOTE]

Sprinter much as I would love to take your informed word for it - please offer evidence, thanks!

I would offer- Bush has realized he has disrupted the natural balance of power in the Middle East and is now scrambling, since he accidently opened the door for Iran to reign supreme.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Sprinter much as I would love to take your informed word for it - please offer evidence, thanks!

I would offer- Bush has realized he has disrupted the natural balance of power in the Middle East and is now scrambling, since he accidently opened the door for Iran to reign supreme.
I won't take your word for it either.

I doubt there is anything that would make you not think the USA is right and any other country is wrong as long as Bush is the president.
I don't mean that to be offensive and If you don't agree please an example during the past few years that you sided with America.

General says U.S. has proof Iran arming Iraqi militias
BAGHDAD — Iran is supplying Iraqi militias with a variety of powerful weapons including Katyusha rockets, the No. 2 U.S. general in Iraq said Tuesday.

"We have weapons that we know through serial numbers … that trace back to Iran," Lt. Gen. Raymond Odierno said in an interview with USA TODAY.
USATODAY.com

US 'has strong evidence of Iran's involvement'
Serial numbers and markings on explosives used in Iraq provide 'pretty good' evidence that Iran is providing either arms or technology for militants there, a top US official asserted yesterday.

Offering some of the first public details of evidence the military has collected, US Defence Secretary Robert Gates said, "I think there's some serial numbers, there may be some markings on some of the projectile fragments that we found," that point to Iran.

At the same time, however, he said he was somewhat surprised that recent raids by coalition and Iraqi forces in Iraq swept up some Iranians.

Gulfnews: US 'has strong evidence of Iran's involvement'

Documents found on Iranians recently detained in Iraq show their involvement with groups responsible for attacks on American troops. These Iranians are members of the special operations wing of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps – the Qods Force. The Qods (“Jerusalem”) Force has its roots in the 1982 deployment of the IRGC to Lebanon’s Bekaa Valley, where they assisted their Lebanese Shia brethren in the creation of Hezbollah. Hezbollah’s reputation as the most effective irregular military force in the world is a testament to the training capabilities of the Qods Force.

Hardblogger : Iranian Qods Force in Iraq: Treat them like al-Qaida

The U.S. Military's new nemesis in Iraq is named Abu Mustafa al-Sheibani, and he is not a Baathist or a member of al-Qaeda. He is working for Iran. According to a U.S. military-intelligence document obtained by TIME, al-Sheibani heads a network of insurgents created by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps with the express purpose of committing violence against U.S. and coalition forces in Iraq.

Inside Iran's Secret War for Iraq - TIME

Top Iran officials ordering bombs to Iraq
Orders to send armor-piercing bombs came from highest levels, official says

U.S.: Iranian weapons in Iraq - Conflict in Iraq - MSNBC.com

Iran supplied missile that hit UK helicopter
America knew that the Mahdi Army, the radical Shi’ite militia, had obtained the shoulder-launched missile from the Iranians but failed to tell the British because of a row between the State Department and the CIA over the reliability of the source, US intelligence sources said.
Iran supplied missile that hit UK helicopter - Times Online

Old 07-16-2007, 10:33 PM

I doubt there is anything that would make you not think the USA is right and any other country is wrong as long as Bush is the president.
I don't mean that to be offensive and If you don't agree please an example during the past few years that you sided with America.

Sprinter this is all the same tired, retreaded information. It brings back fond memories of the propaganda build up prior to our ill fated invasion. The actual threat is multiplied and exaggerated to get the country in a lather... so Bush can put us in a position to make another grievous error.

I always side with America, Sprinter. Sorry, I reserve the right not to equate this with siding with the Bush administration. What has Bush done that would make somebody support him? I think you mentioned a couple Supreme Court Justice nominations in another post. If that is the best you can offer in 8 years...not impressed.

I believe I mentioned elsewhere I had supported going after the actual people that were responsible for 9/11, which we were doing originally in Afghanistan. The same ones that we had located and were ready to target in a special ops raid 2 years ago, but Bush called off so as not to offend our Pakistani ally...the same ones that are now as strong as they were on 9/11... despite our losing thousands of lives and spending billions of dollars, so far in the "war on terror".

No I am not offended Sprinter, you are absolutely right - at this point I honestly do not think Bush could do anything that would restore his credibility and America's credibility to the world. Very sad, but true. We have to wait another 500 days or so before our country has an opportunity to heal and move forward again.

Back at ya

The new US charges, however, come amid others in recent months that many experts consider exaggerated, including an Iranian role in making armor-piercing roadside bombs. "There's been a clear attempt by the Americans over the past year to eliminate Hizbullah through war, diplomacy, and political means. It's very clear to me this is another attempt," says Amal Saad-Ghorayeb, of the Carnegie Endowment's Middle East Center in Beirut.
"Intelligence penetration [in Iraq], aiding insurgent groups, and making life difficult for the Americans and Brits…. [T]he Qods Force is very much involved in Iraq – I think that is beyond dispute," says Mr. Abedin. "The Americans are not saying anything that we don't know, but where they are getting it wrong is in the details. In Iraq, "the most important thing [the Qods] force has done is transfer a set of skills to a select number of groups and individuals," he adds. "I don't think the Qods Force is directly involved in any anti-British or anti-American attacks, because the reaction would be very harsh. If [the US] really had evidence that Iranians had killed 200-odd of their soldiers, as they claimed in January, they … would be hitting back."
Still, some argue, the stepped up US accusations may be only tactical move. "The Americans know full well that the Iranians are not really their enemy in Iraq," says Abedin. "The Iranians may have hurt Americans or Britons here or there, they may have even been complicit in the killing of American soldiers."
"But if you look at the sheer range of enemies the US faces in Iraq, the Iranians pale in comparison," he says. "The smart elements in the US occupation machine in Iraq understand that if they are to extricate themselves successfully ... they need a lot of Iranian help."

A gauge of Iran's hand in Iraq | csmonitor.com

In recent months, Media Matters for America has noted numerous instances in which conservative commentators and media sources have hyped Iran's progress in developing a nuclear capability and have made assertions that contradict the public estimates provided by the United States intelligence community and independent experts. Many of these same commentators similarly touted Iraq's purported efforts to develop nuclear weapons in 2002 and early 2003 while making the case for war. On the third anniversary of President Bush's premature declaration of victory in Iraq, Media Matters has compiled examples of media that sounded alarms over Iraq's purported weapons of mass destruction capabilities now sounding similar alarms over Iran:

Media Matters - After hyping Iraqi nuclear threat in 2002-03, conservative media now doing the same with Iranian nuclear program

Last edited by bily4; 07-16-2007 at 11:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies