Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 05:27 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,882 times

Advertisements

But if all of the women are using implanon then 2/1000 of them will get pregnant. Check out the numbers. And if men are involved at only 99% effective, then 2/100,000 women will get pregnant.

That means if all of the 42,000,000 women get on this program, then only 840 of them will become pregnant. and that 840 children will have their expenses paid by 42,000,000 women plus the 42,000,000 men they sleep with. (Actually the numbers of men could be higher or lower but let's use that number for convenience sake.)

84,000,000 will pay for 840 kids. That's 100,000 for every single kid. $2.50 for each person per year! 21 cents per month!!!!

Last edited by smartalx; 01-09-2011 at 05:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 05:31 AM

You know it occurs to me, the benefits would be multi-faceted.

1) Fewer abortions. That's my primary concern. But this is possible because of...
2) The numbers of pregnancies each year would drop from 2.5 million to (42,000,000/50,000) = 840!!!!!!!.

2,500,000 to 840! It doesn't get much better than that! And what's better is all of those 840 kids will be covered!

Of course that is if every woman who doesn't want to get pregnant gets on implanon and every man she sleeps with is using a contraceptive that is 99% effective.

Anyway, you can imagine the impact if this is made available.

Last edited by smartalx; 01-09-2011 at 05:39 AM..

Old 01-09-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
But the men won't be involved until there is a contraceptive available to them...........and that could be years from now, if ever.
You know, even if the guys used something that can't be monitored and controlled as easily, like the male pill, the numbers would still drop significantly. Probably way more than enough to make the entire idea feasible. I'll just bet that $20 a month is more than enough to cover everything. Remember, it's going from 21 cents to $20. That $20 amounts to 9500% more money than you need to feed, clothe, and shelter a kid for 18 years.

Last edited by smartalx; 01-09-2011 at 05:43 AM..

Old 01-09-2011, 06:11 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
You know, even if the guys used something that can't be monitored and controlled as easily, like the male pill, the numbers would still drop significantly. Probably way more than enough to make the entire idea feasible. I'll just bet that $20 a month is more than enough to cover everything. Remember, it's going from 21 cents to $20. That $20 amounts to 9500% more money than you need to feed, clothe, and shelter a kid for 18 years.
I looked up Implanon........it works on the same concept as the pill......it is hormonal......with the same side effects. So, I don't think it could be used by those over 35, but it could still be used on the largest target, those that get abortions. {I believe most are under 35} Anyway, that would reduce the pool of those paying the insurance considerably.

If there was a male pill, I would bet there would be an implantable version.......just like Implanon.

The biggest flaw in your idea is that men would not be contributing their fair share........because there is no form of birth control that would make them eligable.......and really, no incentive either.

The next flaw is this: If men had access to a method of birth control like Implanon.........the unplanned pregnancies and abortions would be so low you wouldn't even need pregnancy insurance. With both the man and the woman on BC, the failure rate would be nil.

If society really wants to stop abortion, we should really be pushing big time for a male pill/implant and for some way to ensure compliance when it comes to using BC........for both men and women.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:33 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
Quote:
But if all of the women are using implanon then 2/1000 of them will get pregnant. Check out the numbers. And if men are involved at only 99% effective, then 2/100,000 women will get pregnant.

That means if all of the 42,000,000 women get on this program, then only 840 of them will become pregnant. and that 840 children will have their expenses paid by 42,000,000 women plus the 42,000,000 men they sleep with. (Actually the numbers of men could be higher or lower but let's use that number for convenience sake.)

84,000,000 will pay for 840 kids. That's 100,000 for every single kid. $2.50 for each person per year! 21 cents per month!!!!
I think your math is wrong somewhere, 21 cents per month isn't even enough to buy a gumball. 100k per kid is also not really enough to support them through college.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I think your math is wrong somewhere, 21 cents per month isn't even enough to buy a gumball. 100k per kid is also not really enough to support them through college.
Not too many kids go to college before they are 18. I know the OP was long but this was all in there. Also, I went to college for under 100k. Acually, it was under 20k. 'course I lived at home and went to a public scholl. Maybe it's more now. And maybe private college costs over 100k. The question of education is actually a separate issue anyway, but I do understand it should be factored in. Without an education the child would have a disadvantage. But I suppose the insurance policy-holder could purchase additional coverage for college.

About the math. Remember.... 50,000 individuals are supporting ONE kid. 21 cents a month = $2.52 a year. $2.52 a year = 18 = $45.36 Multiply THAT by 100,000! $2,268,000.... waitaminit. That's almost 10x too high. But I checked that math... Let me show you...

1000/2 or 500/1 women supporting the child. If men add their birth control to the efficacy, then it goes up by 10 - 100x. Let's say men's birth control is only 10% effective. So the 500/1 ratio would jump up to 5,000/1. Then that $45.36 X 5,000 is $226,800 Not quite enough but 5000 people doesn't include the men's financial contribution. It just covers the efficacy contribution. Also the insurance premiums wouldn't just be 21 cents a month. They would be far higher.

Please! If you don't believe me. By all means! Check the math. I beg you! I want someone to thoroughly check this out. The more people that check it out the better.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I looked up Implanon........it works on the same concept as the pill......it is hormonal......with the same side effects. So, I don't think it could be used by those over 35, but it could still be used on the largest target, those that get abortions. {I believe most are under 35} Anyway, that would reduce the pool of those paying the insurance considerably.
No no no. You misunderstand. Everyone in the pool is covered. No one out of the pool is covered. So if there are only 5,000 women in the pool it will be enough to cover the expenses because only one child will be born per year to women in the pool.

Quote:
If there was a male pill, I would bet there would be an implantable version.......just like Implanon.
Possibly

Quote:
The biggest flaw in your idea is that men would not be contributing their fair share........because there is no form of birth control that would make them eligable.......
Not yet. I hear the male birth control pill is just around the corner. And if implanon is just an implanted version, that couldn't be far behind, especiallly with pressure. Think the insurance industry has the muscle to pressure the medical research industry? Hmmmmmmm???

Quote:
and really, no incentive either.
I would say "little" incentive. Well.... more attractive incentives could be offered, say tax breaks or health care insurance breaks. Probably the cost of the contraceptive would be included in the premium. I'm sure incentives could be offered. And since we are talking only 21 cents a month, cheese! EASILY enough money could be added to the premiums to make these incentives even more attractive.

Quote:
The next flaw is this: If men had access to a method of birth control like Implanon.........the unplanned pregnancies and abortions would be so low you wouldn't even need pregnancy insurance. With both the man and the woman on BC, the failure rate would be nil.
I wouldn't say nil... 840 isn't nil. But yes, close to it. About as close as we'll ever come. The thing is, without incentives, people won't get this high of a birth control method. Women have it now and they don't use it. the 2,500,000 unexpected pregnancies each year proves that. The insurance would offer incentive and in the event of a pregnancy it would offset the need for abortion and the few children who are conceived would be completely covered. Now I'm considering adding a college education to the benefits. At least a bachelor's degree.

Quote:
If society really wants to stop abortion, we should really be pushing big time for a male pill/implant
I think it's coming.
Quote:
and for some way to ensure compliance when it comes to using BC........for both men and women.
Right. Well, what incentives could be used? And what about the children who ARE still conceived?

I say, if you want the incentive, then pay for it. The contraceptive would be included and you'll get all of those tax breaks, health insurance breaks or whatever.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:37 PM

276 posts, read 476,978 times
I agree, we should not get into another abortion debate.

So, if you get pregnant, and you are a morally decent human being, GET AN ABORTION.

Problem solved. This thread can be closed.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:58 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
I don't think this would work. Most people who get pregnant unexpectedly are of the mindset that something like that would never happen to them. Many of the people who have unplanned pregnancies either don't use any birth control whatsoever or don't use birth control properly (for example, they forget to take the pill everyday or put the condom on incorrectly or are a few days late in getting their next depo shot, etc. I dont' see very many people signing up for this type of insurance since they don't think that they will get pregnant in the first place and are not going to be willing to shell out $50/month for something that they don't think will effect them in the first place. I also don't see many parents of teenagers paying for this since a lot of parents can't even fathom the idea that their teenagers may be sexually active in the first place. I think it'd be much wiser to properly and thoroughly educate people on contraceptive methods and use. I also think that access to contraception should be easily available for those who want it.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:59 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
The insurance would offer incentive and in the event of a pregnancy it would offset the need for abortion and the few children who are conceived would be completely covered.
You are forgetting one thing here. It isn't always about the money. Many women do not want to go through a pregnancy, I am one of them. You could literally offer me millions of dollars to continue a pregnancy and adopt it out......I would refuse. Women would still need abortion as a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies