Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 05:31 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't think there's any chance of any of those things happening. (I'm a gay guy too, if that matters to you.)

Are you aware of the recent controversies associated with this year's Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC)? Social conservative groups have withdrawn because GOProud will be there. I see it as a victory for gay conservatives and their supporters.

Why don't you get involved with GOProud or the Log Cabin Republicans and try to make changes from within the Republican Party? I'm sure they would love to have you as a member.

Also, gays are increasingly voting for Republicans. The future looks good for gay conservatives and their friends. Don't be afraid!

More gays voting Republican - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

Wow you just never cease to amaze me these days, your insiteful to say the least, i think with the N.Y. you have grown and also matured Maybe you will rub off of me a bit, maybe a wee little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 05:34 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
My husband and I were life long moderate republicans, and we're both fairly fiscally conservative, but we switched parties a couple of years ago. I'm not entirely comfortable with everything the democrats support, but we couldn't stomach the social conservative shift of the republican party, and they haven't exactly been good fiscal stewards. We are devout Christians, but we belong to a denomination that supports gay marriage (our church performs them), helping the poor, tolerance, etc. At the end of the day, when we felt like we had to make a choice, those values--uplifting people and human dignity--were more important to us. Good luck with sorting it out--just do what you feel is best for you.

Last edited by mb1547; 01-10-2011 at 05:50 PM..

Old 01-10-2011, 05:36 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am a 26-year old gay male from CT and have always voted republican in every election. Although I am staunchly against Obama's spending and fiscal policies, I am sincerely frightened about what will happen to gays' rights if a Republican takes office in 2013.
Don't worry, you won't be alone.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:48 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Wow you just never cease to amaze me these days, your insiteful to say the least, i think with the N.Y. you have grown and also matured Maybe you will rub off of me a bit, maybe a wee little.
Being in the NY area "wakes" one up.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:53 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,535,531 times
What would DIck Cheney's daughter say

Old 01-10-2011, 09:57 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Wait til '12, and make up your mind. It's too early.

Exactly. hussein obama may not even be on the ticket.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:58 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Vote LIBERTARIAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fiscally conservative, socially liberal.
Allow me to repeat that ...

Vote LIBERTARIAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fiscally conservative, socially liberal. ..

Old 01-10-2011, 09:58 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
If someone like Palin gets in, definitely.
You should be more concerned about (spend, spend, spend) Obama than Palin.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:01 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
I don't think social issues like gay marriage and abortion will be at the forefront of the debate in 2012. There are far more pressing matters.

Libertarian may be the way to go for the OP.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:07 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am a 26-year old gay male from CT and have always voted republican in every election. Although I am staunchly against Obama's spending and fiscal policies, I am sincerely frightened about what will happen to gays' rights if a Republican takes office in 2013. I am also afraid of what will happen with the whole separation of church vs. state issue, as I am an agnostic and believe that no laws shall respect any establishment of religion, such as abortion and gay marriage. Here is a list of all of my fears if republicans take office in 2013:
  • A federal ban on gay marriage will be instituted.
  • Gays will not be permitted to adopt children, under any circumstances.
  • A federal ban on abortion will be instituted.
  • The government will seek to align public policy with the Bible.
I'm sorry, but every one of these actions would violate the Constitution. States should have the power to legislate issues such as gay marriage, and the government should practice separation of church and state, in full.

I can't stand the Democrats' tax and spend policies, but i agree with them on social issues far more than Republicans.Do you think that if a Republican were to take office, any of the aforementioned agendas would be pursued, and perhaps legislated?
How nice a blogger for the WH on the payroll are we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies