Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 11:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
just like they tried to do with quite a few famous people in our nations history. just because they outlaw it, does not mean it is right or legal.

bearing arms is a right, and unless there is a constitutional convention to remove that right, I shall not give up my firearms willingly.
Well, Randy Weaver may not be dead, his wife and kid are.

David Koresh and his whole group are.

I believe they were all armed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 11:54 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Skills are valuable. Guns remove the skill from the equation.
Wait till you grow old and stiff before you count on that idea. I have 3 bad disks in my lower spine, an old injury from a broken neck, and one really bad joint from another injury in my left hand as a child, not to mention a new broken finger from dec 31st past.

Twice I took beatings from 6 guys each on different occassions and I was un-armed bith times. I assure you to have drawn would have taken nore than primitive skills each of those times.

It takes a nerves of steel, which I don't have anymore to stand steady, and insure you don't miss. Not many people who have been rung out have that type of nerves, but still may bear, present, and save their lives, sometimes with no shots fired.

Then there is the problem that a predator has the advanage of surprise.

This is somthing the legal ccw guy never has. We are not the predators amoungst us, the gun is simply a tool to stop the predator with.

A gun does in no way insure the outcome of a move in self defence either. At best to be armed is only a 50/50 change, when the odds would be very limited with out one.

A case in point this last Az event where no one else appears to have been armed.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:54 AM

545 posts, read 1,556,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
Real numbers, we need to have doctor control (Oh, my bad,"Obamacare!")
  • Gun Deaths per year 30,000.
  • accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
  • Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
30,000 Gun Deaths per year! « Blogalwarning

How many people were saved by doctors? How many were saved by guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Wait till you grow old and stiff before you count on that idea. I have 3 bad disks in my lower spine, an old injury from a broken neck, and one really bad joint from another injury in my left hand as a child, not to mention a new broken finger from dec 31st past.

Twice I took beatings from 6 guys each on different occassions and I was un-armed bith times. I assure you to have drawn would have taken nore than primitive skills each of those times.

It takes a nerves of steel, which I don't have anymore to stand steady, and insure you don't miss. Not many people who have been rung out have that type of nerves, but still may bear, present, and save their lives, sometimes with no shots fired.

This is somthing the legal ccw guy never has. We are not the predators amoungst us, the gun is simply a tool to stop the predator with.

A gun does in no way insure the outcome of a move in self defence either. At best to be armed is only a 50/50 change, when the odds would be very limited with out one.

A case in point this last Az event where no one else appears to have been armed.
You wouldn't be writing this post if you got shoot six times. I'm sorry for what happened to you, but why would you assume that you would be the one having the gun while the other six would be unarmed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

Then there is the fact that criminals will find access to one anyway.
Banning things will make it more difficult. Criminals are not superman. Why don't criminals drive tanks? Why don't criminals using RPGs in the US? Those things are "banned" but they aren't used often... interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The comment to my first point was that guns are able to kill more people than knives, stones, etc. So using planes as weapons killed a bunch of people at once.

The point is people kill people (outside of accidents). A gun on a table does nothing until someone picks it up with the intent to use it. A plane is fine until a hijacker takes it over and uses it as a weapon. Fertilizer is safe until someone combines it with other chemical to make a bomb.

Until we get it, we will continue to spin our wheels on this. When people kill, punishment should be swift - especially in obvious cases like this weekend.
LEGALIZE FLAMETHROWERS PLZ

Last edited by Malkiel; 01-12-2011 at 12:06 PM..

Old 01-12-2011, 12:03 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect
Real numbers, we need to have doctor control (Oh, my bad,"Obamacare!")
  • Gun Deaths per year 30,000.
  • accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
  • Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
30,000 Gun Deaths per year! « Blogalwarning
Urban legend...

Old 01-12-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

I'm already old. Skill vs. skill. If I fail, that's survival of the fittest at work. The way things SHOULD be. The strong survive, the weak die like they should.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:06 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
This is the oldest argument. The same argument could be made for having a Tank in your back yard. I mean it won't shoot by itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsN0F...yer_detailpage
Agreed - it won't shoot by itself; but if it falls into the wrong hands, something bad is bound to happen... Obviously.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:09 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Well, Randy Weaver may not be dead, his wife and kid are.

David Koresh and his whole group are.

I believe they were all armed.

our founding fathers and the framers as well.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:11 PM

Many of the framers were typical politicians. Never once lifted a finger in defense of this country, believing the pen mightier than the sword.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:11 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
It's been said before, but banning guns will only keep them out of the hands of law-abiding citizens. Criminals will have no problem acquiring a gun illegally and they will know anyone they try to rob or any house they break into probably won't have a gun inside.

Pot is illegal, but find me someone who doesn't know where they could get some in less than an hour. The black market for firearms would explode, more would come into this country illegally and more crime would spring up around the trafficking and smuggling of illegal firearms. It's not like our borders are porous or anything.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post

Pot is illegal, but find me someone who doesn't know where they could get some in less than an hour.
I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies