Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:28 PM

287 posts, read 547,219 times

Advertisements

I really don't understand why everyone is being so cynical here. The government is doing the right thing in focusing on preventative health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 11:30 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I don't think it's worth persuing this. If someone really wanted to put an end to smoking they would stick it to the tobacco companies. Is that happening?

Old 01-11-2011, 11:34 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballakev View Post
Well for one thing we can't just criminalize these things because of the costs they would incur. Think about all the resources that would have to be allocated into criminalizing tobacco and alcohol (Prohibition?).

The issue at hand for me is the burden these people will be to our social insurance programs (Medicare and Medicaid) especially with Cancer rising as the leading cause of death. True liquor doesn't provide any inherent benefit but at least it doesn't affect other people in the way that second hand smoke does. But then again you can say that alcohol can lead to deaths caused by DUI but it is in that specific instance where it is illegal.
There are many questions as to the effect of second-hand smoke, and most studies claim it only causes harm if you LIVE with a smoker - in close quarters where they're smoking indoors. I don't know the validity in the various studies, since I'm not a scientist, but it seems the media plays up the dangers a LOT.

Even without being a scientist, I can safely assume you won't get cancer by passing a smoker on the street. It's already illegal to smoke inside (public places) here, so in essence they're already controlling it in a similar fashion to how they control drunk driving. In other words, kill yourself all you want, but don't put these dangers onto unwilling strangers.

Quote:
My whole point is that I applaud the government for trying something innovative in getting people to stop smoking. You can say that it won't do a damn thing but at least the government is trying to do something in reducing the amount of people who smoke.
Why not increase (anti-smoking) educational programs for kids instead? It's nearly impossible to convince a current smoker to quit, no matter how many facts & photos you shove into their faces... it's a VERY strong addiction, so only the smoker making that decision themselves will work. Get the kids before they start smoking, however, and then we might see a decrease in the overall numbers. JMO.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:41 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Why not increase (anti-smoking) educational programs for kids instead? It's nearly impossible to convince a current smoker to quit, no matter how many facts & photos you shove into their faces... it's a VERY strong addiction, so only the smoker making that decision themselves will work. Get the kids before they start smoking, however, and then we might see a decrease in the overall numbers. JMO.
I agree with this. If people know all the facts about what cigarettes do and still choose to do it, it's their choice. Some gross images of a tar-covered lung are highly unlikely to change the actions of a person with a serious nicotine addiction. I'm not really bothered by the idea of adding these images, I'm just doubtful of the efficacy.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
There are many questions as to the effect of second-hand smoke, and most studies claim it only causes harm if you LIVE with a smoker - in close quarters where they're smoking indoors. I don't know the validity in the various studies, since I'm not a scientist, but it seems the media plays up the dangers a LOT.

Even without being a scientist, I can safely assume you won't get cancer by passing a smoker on the street. It's already illegal to smoke inside (public places) here, so in essence they're already controlling it in a similar fashion to how they control drunk driving. In other words, kill yourself all you want, but don't put these dangers onto unwilling strangers.

Well the effects of second hand smoke are pretty evident according to the CDC.

Smoking and Tobacco Use :: Fact Sheet :: Secondhand Smoke :: Office on Smoking and Health (OSH) :: CDC

Even if you're not convinced, this definitely should cast any doubt you may have on the effects of second hand smoke.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_from_NIH.svg

Maybe these graphic images won't bear any significance to those who are already addicted but if it can somehow send a strong reconsider message to those who have just started smoking and to those who have not yet succumbed to the effects of nicotine, then I'm all for it.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:56 PM

Well how about we wait and see if there is any reduction in the amount of people who smoke after this is implemented?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Well the effects of second hand smoke are pretty evident according to the CDC.

Smoking and Tobacco Use :: Fact Sheet :: Secondhand Smoke :: Office on Smoking and Health (OSH) :: CDC

Even if you're not convinced, this definitely should cast any doubt you may have on the effects of second hand smoke.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_from_NIH.svg
Did you notice these details: Most noticeable effects are from being exposed at HOME or in the workplace, although the latter is unlikely in states where indoor/public smoking is banned... and the effects on non-smokers have decreased by around 50% in recent years, showing that our current laws (regarding where/when you can smoke) have apparently had a positive impact.

I'm not trying to debate the dangers, because anyone with a brain knows it's not good for you... but it mostly affects the smokers themselves, so I think we're already doing what we can about it. Aside from banning smoking in public buildings, which many states already do, I just don't see why it's worth spending more money on this issue. I support increasing education aimed at young people, but leave the adults who already smoke alone - they'll quit when they're ready, and no sooner.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Well how about we wait and see if there is any reduction in the amount of people who smoke after this is implemented?
My question - how much money would be spent on this project? Is it worth spending money on something that probably won't work, when our country is in the middle of a MAJOR economic crisis? I personally don't think so.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:09 AM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Even this image didn't stop my habit!

Old 01-12-2011, 01:59 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Wouldn't do anything.

Now, as for pictures on cigarette packs that REALLY would make people stop smoking:
A picture of Mitch McConnell (for many parts of the US)
A picture of Nancy Pelosi (for many OTHER parts of the US)
A picture of Sarah Palin may work also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies