Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:20 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,138 times

Advertisements

They came for them…they came for me

They came first for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me,
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

-Martin Niemoeller
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Once again our personal liberties are taken away.......

Congress quietly prepares to renew Patriot Act | Raw Story

Will America ever shake off the crimes of the Bush Administration???
Psst, the dems have been in charge of Congress for the past 4 years, the presidency for 2 years. They could have changed any portion of the Patriot act anytime they pleased. heck, they could have abolished it entirely.

When are you libs ever going to hold the dems responsible for anything?

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Lied is a good word for what he did....
Perhaps... then again, some people just change their mind! As a woman, I am completely familiar with that concept.

Quote:
What is more important really then the erosion of our rights???
Right now? The economy, for one thing... and while personal privacy rights are indeed a HUGE issue, there are many others I consider when voting. Especially as a libertarian-esque American, there is not a single candidate who will agree with my opinions 100% - so sometimes you've gotta look at the overall picture, and shoot for "at least they agree with more than 50% of my views."

Old 01-14-2011, 08:21 AM

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation... Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the 'hidden' confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process."
--Alan Greenspan

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin. Samuel Adams

"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country."
Thomas Jefferson

The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary, self-appointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny. James Madison

Old 01-14-2011, 08:22 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Nothing is more important then the erosion of our rights.

I suspect your thinking might be influenced by your politics...and who is in the WH.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:25 AM

Following are examples of freedoms which President Bush, his fellow Republicans in Congress (and the Patriot Act) have already expunged (as reported by the Associated Press):

FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION: Government may monitor religious and political institutions without suspecting criminal activity to assist terror investigations.

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION: Government has closed once-public immigration hearings, has secretly detained hundreds of people without charges, and has encouraged bureaucrats to resist public records questions.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH: Government may prosecute librarians or keepers of any other records if they tell anyone that the government subpoenaed information related to a terror investigation.

RIGHT TO LEGAL REPRESENTATION: Government may monitor federal prison jailhouse conversations between attorneys and clients, and deny lawyers to Americans accused of crimes.

FREEDOM FROM UNREASONABLE SEARCHES: Government may search and seize Americans' papers and effects without probable cause to assist terror investigation.

RIGHT TO A SPEEDY AND PUBLIC TRIAL: Government may jail Americans indefinitely without a trial.

RIGHT TO LIBERTY: Americans may be jailed without being charged or being able to confront witnesses against them.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:27 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
Following are examples of freedoms which President Bush and his fellow Republicans in Congress have already expunged (as reported by the Associated Press):

FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION: Government may monitor religious and political institutions without suspecting criminal activity to assist terror investigations.

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION: Government has closed once-public immigration hearings, has secretly detained hundreds of people without charges, and has encouraged bureaucrats to resist public records questions.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH: Government may prosecute librarians or keepers of any other records if they tell anyone that the government subpoenaed information related to a terror investigation.

RIGHT TO LEGAL REPRESENTATION: Government may monitor federal prison jailhouse conversations between attorneys and clients, and deny lawyers to Americans accused of crimes.

FREEDOM FROM UNREASONABLE SEARCHES: Government may search and seize Americans' papers and effects without probable cause to assist terror investigation.

RIGHT TO A SPEEDY AND PUBLIC TRIAL: Government may jail Americans indefinitely without a trial.

RIGHT TO LIBERTY: Americans may be jailed without being charged or being able to confront witnesses against them.
So now that Obama is President,those freedoms have been returned???

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
Following are examples of freedoms which President Bush and his fellow Republicans in Congress have already expunged (as reported by the Associated Press):

Cite?

"Why of course the people don't want war ... But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship ... Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger."
Hermann Goering, Nazi leader, at the Nuremberg Trials after World War II

Old 01-14-2011, 08:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Nothing is more important then the erosion of our rights.

I suspect your thinking might be influenced by your politics...and who is in the WH.
Because it has not personally affected them yet.
Once it does..then you'll hear them cry.

But as another poster noted.."by then it will be too late".

So sure..go ahead and grope the other guy, wiretap the other guy, put the other guy on the terrorist watch list.
As long as all this happens to "the other guy" people will have this false sense of "I have nothing to hide".

Now I fully understand how Hitler was able to win the support of the German people and eventually take over the country. Fear propaganda works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies